Consequences for Murder

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
He said, still not contributing anything of substance.
Contributing to what? You clearly don't know how the game is actually played and how you can get MCd for defending yourself. Everyone with a little bit of experience knows how it works. You don't need to be a PK to get murdercounts, you just need to be good at PvP.

But let me enlighten you since you're clueless like that. You and your buddy are riding through the steppe to get to Fab from MK. You see a bunch of people on horses moving on intercept course. They start shooting at you, but they aren't good enough to actually hit anything (or smart enough to bite you). Maybe one of them landed a hit and went gray but his friends are still blue. You kill them, you and your buddy loose several standing points. That's just one example of how it goes.

Reactions: Raziel

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Would not say its 'Arbitrary' at all. It is an idea that makes sense. Just because you disagree with a suggestion does not make that suggestion 'Arbitrary'. But currently, there is really not much incentive to NOT murder. I believe there is definitely reasons to not grief in town via the reputation system, but this is specifically for murdering out of town. This isn't pvp online. its an MMO. Henrik has said himself multiple times that this game is much more. If someone doesn't want to fight you and is forced into defending themselves and you take shit from their corpse, you shouldn't have complete free reign to do so. chickens should come home to roost, and that is a risk you take.

Life should not be easy for a murderer
Maybe git gud and you wont get murdered

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
I really still dislike this murderer term.

I mean people call open pvp sandbox the wild west, but in the wild west people had duels or shoot outs or whatever, but shit wasn't just crazy all the time. There was some purpose. There just needs to be some way to separate a bandit from someone who is fighting. Not saying both aren't legit playstyles, but they should have different outcomes and punishments. Unfort, it's really hard to program that into a system.

Someday, when we can log into the game we'll get it all figured out.

If we going for the realism way there shouldn't be any law except the one thats provided localy by towns and players. This is why i vouch for the "alive report system" idea.

Would not say its 'Arbitrary' at all. It is an idea that makes sense. Just because you disagree with a suggestion does not make that suggestion 'Arbitrary'. But currently, there is really not much incentive to NOT murder. I believe there is definitely reasons to not grief in town via the reputation system, but this is specifically for murdering out of town. This isn't pvp online. its an MMO. Henrik has said himself multiple times that this game is much more. If someone doesn't want to fight you and is forced into defending themselves and you take shit from their corpse, you shouldn't have complete free reign to do so. chickens should come home to roost, and that is a risk you take.

Life should not be easy for a murderer

Its definitely arbitrary cuz your definition of fairness", punishment and repecutions relay on timesink mechanics instead of analyzing a bigger picture and thinking in terms of player interaction instead of hardbrake mechanics. You fail to understand, like many do the potential of a game thats fueled by player interaction, and for you the solution" (cuz for you it's a problem) for non concensual pvp is to limit people instead of thinking of ways to make players build their own fate.
i like to see it this way, i prefer the game gets features that will work as tools for players to excercize their playstyles instead of mechanics that prohibit player behavior. In a game such as mortal the freedom of choise is essential.

And by saying this im not saying there shouldn't be any punishment nor repercutions for criminal actions, im only saying im against overloading the world with stupid mechanics that cripple gamestyles instead of encouraging quality player interaction.

Torden

May 29, 2020
If we going for the realism way there shouldn't be any law except the one thats provided localy by towns and players. This is why i vouch for the "alive report system" idea.

Its definitely arbitrary cuz your definition of fairness", punishment and repecutions relay on timesink mechanics instead of analyzing a bigger picture and thinking in terms of player interaction instead of hardbrake mechanics. You fail to understand, like many do the potential of a game thats fueled by player interaction, and for you the solution" (cuz for you it's a problem) for non concensual pvp is to limit people instead of thinking of ways to make players build their own fate.
i like to see it this way, i prefer the game gets features that will work as tools for players to excercize their playstyles instead of mechanics that prohibit player behavior. In a game such as mortal the freedom of choise is essential.

And by saying this im not saying there shouldn't be any punishment nor repercutions for criminal actions, im only saying im against overloading the world with stupid mechanics that cripple gamestyles instead of encouraging quality player interaction.
Well, by definition, Arbitrary literally means without reason or determined by chance. And this isn't without reason.... So this isn't that...But I digress.

And you may have a point about limiting players playing the game. This is a fluid idea of just dissuading those from murdering. Stat loss is an option, but its pretty clear that doesnt dissuade much as that was the case in MO1 and it didnt stop anyone from murdering. Perhaps it could be something you have to do in the ether itself that is ineteractive to redeem your soul before reviving.

Just spit-balling here

Sally_Splodge

Feb 8, 2022
Why not have a toggle? Lets call it the "war" toggle.
Anyone with war toggle on can do full open world PVP with NO consequences.
Anyone with war toggle off can still be murdered/ganked/robbed or kill/murder/gank/thieve but has the option to flag the criminal or be flagged so.
This would allow all those who enjoy PVP to do it with no consequences and allow those that enjoy murder to do so BUT with consequences.

Reactions: Bladeer01

For Sure

Jun 25, 2021
Go try to live in kran or gk for longer than 15 mins, and tell us that the murder system isnt enough.

Sally_Splodge

Feb 8, 2022
Bad idea.
In pvp oriented game make punishment for pvp

gg
You obviously misread it.
NO penalties for PVP as should be. Penalties only for being a criminal.
Besides it's an MMO with PVP and not a PVP game, subtle difference.

Sgr

Feb 2, 2022
You obviously misread it.
NO penalties for PVP as should be. Penalties only for being a criminal.
Besides it's an MMO with PVP and not a PVP game, subtle difference.
I said pvp oriented game

I don’t see anything good in another time sinking mechanic
Have you read advices in mo1 starting menu?
It’s a harsh world you need to survive bla bla

since beginning some people wants to make mo another pve grind game where you can fight in duel only, and only if your opponent accept it..

Sally_Splodge

Feb 8, 2022
I said pvp oriented game

I don’t see anything good in another time sinking mechanic
Have you read advices in mo1 starting menu?
It’s a harsh world you need to survive bla bla

since beginning some people wants to make mo another pve grind game where you can fight in duel only, and only if your opponent accept it..
Again, you've totally misunderstood.
My suggestion doesn't change anything of the core game, it only gives consequences to murder rather than PVP.
Be a ganker by all means but accept the consequences... enjoy PVP then do that freely.

All I'm thinking is giving the "victim" a little to enjoy also, maybe a reward for the head of his murder.

Sgr

Feb 2, 2022
Again, you've totally misunderstood.
My suggestion doesn't change anything of the core game, it only gives consequences to murder rather than PVP.
Be a ganker by all means but accept the consequences... enjoy PVP then do that freely.

All I'm thinking is giving the "victim" a little to enjoy also, maybe a reward for the head of his murder.
Victim next time need to be faster smarter etc

if you add rewards like that there will b people Who will farm heads behind walls with friends

no thanks

Sally_Splodge

Feb 8, 2022
Victim next time need to be faster smarter etc

if you add rewards like that there will b people Who will farm heads behind walls with friends

no thanks
That's life haha, I can't see that being a drawback any more than being ganked as a newbie. It would make life a lot more fun with posses chasing down murderers.

Sgr

Feb 2, 2022
That's life haha, I can't see that being a drawback any more than being ganked as a newbie. It would make life a lot more fun with posses chasing down murderers.
When I just started there were mounteds with mauls that hits me for 150 in one hit and it was fine I just understood that I need to be stronger to fight back

Nothing special be stronger or die just like in reality..

Sally_Splodge

Feb 8, 2022
When I just started there were mounteds with mauls that hits me for 150 in one hit and it was fine I just understood that I need to be stronger to fight back

Nothing special be stronger or die just like in reality..
You'd also be wanted for murder.... in reality.

Bladeer01

Aug 1, 2021
the problem is real i think ;
mo ( be it 2 or 1 ) is a pvp focused game ; let's face it , i play it because i sorta like it even thought i'm shit at pvp and that's not my first concern

let"s just say a few thing to start

1) crafting require material ( and yeah fire burn if you didn't know )
2) murder count only penalty is the restricted access to blue town and priest
3) flag ( color ) system is just horrible with no much way to improve it without some fking heavy work and change on it

about (1) be honest , if you like pvp and have a few friend , no need to farm wood or do pve , just camp most know farm spot and ambush the pve guy(s) enjoy ( well at least one side do )

about (2) have a blue friend ? have another account ? penalty ? what penalty ?

about (3) that one gonna be a bit longer

so , everyone know that if you hit something blue , you go grey right ? and if you kill it you take a murdercount ( and lose more rep i think ? )
add a blue friend in the middle , get him to block the guy who defend himself so he go grey , murdercount ? what did you say ?
a blue wanna fk you up ? attack him first and defend yourself ! become the murderer !

so , conclusion ( personal ) , ganking and farmer ambush are so profitable ( and enjoyable ) , that farmer can't even begin to hope about safety ; so i think banditry should be more punished , but the problem is " what to do " , bounty hunting ? yeah but hey , can be abused with ease by your friend ... suppressing bandit town ? wont even be a solution but will supress content
add death penalty ? maybe , but what ? wait time at priest not fun but could work ? stats loss , why not ? anything else ? propose !

Sally_Splodge

Feb 8, 2022
A lot of the problem as I see it is the perspective.
Those that see it as a PVP game and those that see it as a MMORPG with open PVP.
There is a subtle difference.

"Mortal Online 2 is a next generation, first-person, persistent sandbox MMORPG set in a fantasy world with a focus on immersion and deep game systems, where your individual reputation matters."

If you murder people you're going to get a reputation right?
I like the risk/reward, it makes the world feel dangerous and alive but where is the risk/reward if you can just murder and get away with it.. it's not a PVP game as such (PUBG, Fortnite etc) it's essentially supposed to be a real world simulator.

I'll admit I used to love killing miners etc back in the UO days but half the fun was turning grey knowing people and guards could attack you openly, it would also increase your murder count risking the chance of going red. Back at the start you even got a bounty on your head. It worked well. People enjoyed it. No reason why it can't and shouldn't work here.

Jan 28, 2022
In Ultima Online, on some servers, you actually went to a magical jail as a ghost if the guards killed you when you were a murderer and players of a certain religion were able to send you there too. Other criminals could break you free, they killed a bunch of monsters in a dungeon and pulled some levers and maybe did some lockpicking too... or you needed to do your time. It was a nice system I think, and it could work here too. Like it was said, this is an MMORPG with open PvP, not just a PvP griefing simulator. Your evil deeds have consequences.

If we had a jail system here.
10 Minutes per Murder, up to a maximum of 12-20 would be reasonable. And this should be Online time. If the sentence could be served offline, then it should be like 1-3 hours per kill, up to a maximum sentence of 2-3 days or maybe even up to a week.

Also you should be able to choose a longer sentence, something like 3x the maximum sentence - this would grant you a pardon for your past crimes and give you a chance to re-integrate with society.

And before all criminals and murderous c-words start crying that "this is a hardcore game, just learn to deal with PvP" - the same right back at you. This is a hardcore game, there should be consequences for your actions and do your time like a man.

PS. Back in Ultima Online, my main characters were often red and I waited countless hours in jail while my friends coordinated a rescue, sometimes took days to get out.

Last edited: