Concept and Discussion: Hybrid Loot Retention Upon Death

Melvinius

Apr 9, 2021
Hi all! I thought I'd throw out a few ideas about death and full loot PvP alternatives and see what people think about this. I'm putting this out here because there are more options on the table besides an all-or-nothing approach and I don't see many games taking a middle road on this.

My ideas here revolve around potential item DUPLICATION as well as PARTIAL loot retention. Let's see what thoughts arise.

- IDEA 1: Upon death, the player retains all their equipped gear, which gets duplicated on their corpse so their killer can still loot it.

- IDEA 2: Upon death, the player retains a percentage (based on their level) of their inventory, randomly determined. This could either be percentage of overall stacks, or a percentage of stack amounts, rounded to whole numbers.

These ideas could potentially be used together in some combination.

I'm curious to see whether these hypothetical mechanics will be seen as positive or negative, as well as WHY. Will these be unbalancing to character progression or the overall world economy? Could these mechanics be abused? Etc.

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
The only way I could foresee any of this working would be to protect say your top 3 items like RS does it (and only because that's the only system that worked that I can base it off) but lets be honest, protecting items is not in the spirit of the game and it's core principles. As such, I don't feel like this should be a thing or will ever be considered sorry.

Furthermore, all items in this game are designed to be lost and recycled through the world. This is why gear has durability, gear is relatively quick to craft so long as you have the mats and gold farms are fairly easy to access - as such it feels like a non issue and something the players need to get used to.,

My advice to every player going into a game like this, don't get attached to loot whatsoever.

Reactions: Amadman and Rorry

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Yea I really don’t think it’s needed either. Sv should focus more on providing a greefer free experience for new players, at least until they decide to step into the full MO world.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Its not like equipment is hard to come by.

Playing mostly solo for parts of the stress test(for exploration and testing crafting and making data purposes), it didnt take me more than... 2 hours? from my char hitting Nave with almost no money to my name(went into books in haven), just a dapplewood+molarium bow and a dream and i was already able to churn out armor and bows. About another 2 hours of farming bandits, razorbacks and wolves and i had enough gold for the rest of the crafting skills i needed to churn out proper tind knight plate armor and add about 2 hours more of gameplay and I already have enough crepite for a personal unlimited supply of bows.

SoftHater

Mar 16, 2021
Hot place full of hate.
Kebek is that you?
Wow! impressive neuronal network result here.

there are more options on the table besides an all-or-nothing approach and I don't see many games taking a middle road on this.
"Walk On Road, Hmmm? Walk Left Side, Safe. Walk Right Side, Safe.
Walk Middle, Sooner Or Later ... Get Squish Just Like Grape!"

Aaaaaaand then why bother going out in the wild gathering, if i can just dupe-exploit this no-sense suggestion ...

Snozzle

Apr 2, 2021
an all-or-nothing approach and I don't see many games taking a middle road on this.

One game I played which took this approach allowed a limited number of items to be looted within 30 seconds, after which the body became unlootable. In total you could only ever lose 5 items upon death which meant the looter needed to be selective and only take what they needed or felt was the most valuable for resale. This is somewhat related to your second idea.

I currently dont have a huge problem with full loot as things seem pretty easy to make in bulk apart from quality suits of armour and swords which use alloys. Therefore it is perfectly possible to dress appropriately.

Last edited: