COMBAT BALANCE:

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I came back and the forum died. Other-than sophistication stuff, I didn't do anything 'new' for the game in my whoooole lifetime, but I did stick around and help pump up the world. SO, I got yall on one more then I'm going to leave. Like I always say, send me an e-mail when you fix this game! This is complex, so if you are prone to anger after thinking or incapable of imagination, please do not punish yourself. THIS IS THE ONE I OWE YALL.

Mortal Online has its own Trinity. That trinity is Melee, Archer (usually mounted,) and Mage. I am going to outline how to make the game more fun and maybe more balanced. I can't promise every one of these suggestions is spot on, but it is AN OUTLINE.

First, Melee:

As I have said, I believe parry whore is an awful combat mechanic. I believe swing speed and charge speed needs to be increased. People say this will just lead to spam combat, but peep what I have for you! First, I say get rid of the free hit off of parries. Really makes no logical sense, and I don't see how it adds to the game. Also, get rid of the counter reduce mechanic, same idea. So, we got two people spamming swings at each other, some parries, how can this be skill based, balanced and fun? Easy! MAKE IT SO THAT THERE IS AN ACTUAL COUNTER SYSTEM. Meaning you take slightly more damage if you get hit with your weapon drawn and A LOT more damage if you get hit in a swing animation. This would create 100-0 outplay fights where one person had an advantage and just pushed it to the end. And they wouldn't take very long at all. The only way to really reset would be to parry and step outside / reset. It would be somewhat new player friendly, but the level of skill ceiling would blow what they have now out of the water. I imagine it would still be affected by ping, but so is this parry crap, and if you just played by intuition, it seems like you could outplay more easily.

Second, Mage (will do in order of popularity:)

If you guys don't know by now, shuffle casting did change the game. HAHA. It's been awhile for you to digest that, and hopefully you guys who were like "this won't really affect kiting..." understand now. My idea is similar to melee w/ a few add ons. You are casting a spell? You take more damage if you are moving. Your hitbox should be a bit larger for arrows, too, imo. If you want to stand still and do a MAN CHANNEL you can take normal damage. I also suggest they remove 'combat leap' and rename it MAGE LEAP, and make it only for people with no shields on their back or w/e... no weps, just hands out regular magi. Magi are bar-none the mobility class now with moving casting, so that fits. It also gets rid of weirdo cheese like high jump attacks or not having to take the time to put away your wep to make a proper jump (more skill reqz.)

Third, Archer:

This is the most shit on play style. I suggested in another thread that they increase short bow damage to armor and decrease long bow damage. Let long bows be RANGE. You get a straighter shot, if you can shoot, and esp if you are not using arrow tip you have that higher trajectory so you should be able to bang people far away. You'd still do more dmg, but it wouldn't be like 6 dmg with a short bow and 35 with a long bow. Really doesn't make sense, to me. I also think one of those 'special' skills under archery needs to slow down wobble and stam consumption when you are running with a bow. I think Marksmanship, as well as adding to head shot weak spot, should add more dmg to people with the melee/casting system... that is, if you are casting, if you are swinging, if you are holding a swing, that would increase the dmg you deal based on your marksmanship, so a good archer could sit back and wait for someone to go in and start swinging and bang them with an arrow from the back line and get them w/ good dmg, or obliterate a mage (the actual purpose of archers.)

THESE ARE THE WORST SUGGESTIONS EVER. GO BACK TO NEW WORLD. Think about what I'm saying! At least some of it has to make sense, most especially: melee rework, mage jump, and being able to run and not wobble/stam with a bow.

I also think, for a final melee suggestion, you should at least be able to, if you time it right, get a second 'combo' hit at the expense of more stam, assuming you input it at the right time. So like the whole swing overhead or swing stab could be made into an even faster movement, but at the expense of more stam. OH, and I forgot to mention, but I think being very low stam should have some disadvantages like lowering your dmg output / making you more vulnerable etc. Oopz.

Peace and FIX. See you in 2027. Or I will be awaiting the e-mail!

Reactions: Haxanmancer

Haxanmancer

Mar 27, 2022
The parry system seems a bit unrealistic. I watched a video streamer with just the starting sword beat a fully geared guy because the streamer had mastered the parry system. The streamer was a beast and took no prisoners but I digress. in IRL, if you swing a 20 or 30 lbs (or more) object it's not going to be possible to parry that if the object you're using to parry isn't near the weight of the object being swung. At best, the only thing a much smaller weapon could hope to achieve is knocking the larger object slightly off it's intended trajectory. If the weight of the parrying weapon is much less than the weight of the attacking weapon, you should still take some damage even with a successful parry.