Casting Spells

Elijah

Jun 17, 2021
So, I’ve not done this before, but with this post Im hoping to draw some attention to the issues with casting spells in general. Mages are finally moving in a better direction, and it would be very nice if some of the jank was removed before elementalism is added.

My first, and biggest issue is how you can cast ‘through’ someone. Any mage here, unless you’re wired directly into the server, knows exactly what I’m talking about. You wind up a G heal, take your time making sure it lands, your reticle is pointed straight at a stationary target, and the heal just goes straight through your friend. I understand that this would be a BIG issue to work on as it’s probably something with how the net code works, but if this could be reduced mage QOL would improve dramatically. Maybe this is just a non-EU issue, but it really diminishes the gameplay for a lot of mages.

Second, and final thing I’m hoping to draw some attention to is the self cast system. This one feels pretty minor compared to the previous, but I have an idea on how it could be made better. Instead of just complaining. Currently you have to start casting, press a separate key to cancel the cast, and then press the self cast button which only casts your most recent spell. Instead of this, why not make it so that the self cast button is a ‘self target’ button, that makes yourself the target of all of your spells until you put your reticle on another person/npc? This would save everyone a bunch of button presses, and remove one of the first, and most awkward, things that new mages run into.

Thankyou for the read everyone.

Last edited:

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
This is a two fold issue... it is partly desync between the clients and the server. Like I was getting hit by a guy last night who on my screen was a good 20m behind me. On their screen I was right next to them.

It is very much an issue with latency and desync. These issues would be alleviated by having a regional server in the future. But hey ping normalization works. (sarcasm)

Reactions: Elijah

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
The hitbox and character model is separate.
Its hell on earth trying to land atrophy or death hand on someone with high ping. Especially if they are moving fast or changing directions a lot.
Ecumenical at least have the ability to time it to land them on a target when they are moving straight towards, away from you or when standing still.
Necro spells you have to do the best you can at the end of your cast and waste 80% of your mana throwing it at their nameplate but not their character.

Reactions: Elijah

Elijah

Jun 17, 2021
This is a two fold issue... it is partly desync between the clients and the server. Like I was getting hit by a guy last night who on my screen was a good 20m behind me. On their screen I was right next to them.

It is very much an issue with latency and desync. These issues would be alleviated by having a regional server in the future. But hey ping normalization works. (sarcasm)
I find that the ping normalization… works… to some extent. It definitely feels better than if I was playing on an EU apex server, but when it comes to hit scan spells in mortal it basically translates to flipping a coin every time you cast a spell.

I have no issue landing arrows on people 85-90% of the time at the ranges that I can cast, but for some reason magic accuracy just feels so bad sometimes. It might be hit scan, but the hit scan is really bad when you combine it with latency and arrows feel soso much more forgiving.

Elijah

Jun 17, 2021
Its hell on earth trying to land atrophy or death hand on someone with high ping. Especially if they are moving fast or changing directions a lot.
Ecumenical at least have the ability to time it to land them on a target when they are moving straight towards, away from you or when standing still.
Necro spells you have to do the best you can at the end of your cast and waste 80% of your mana throwing it at their nameplate but not their character.
I’ve stopped paying attention to the nameplate entirely. After about 2000 hours I’ve finally gotten to a point where I can compensate for the latency issues, but there’s still a solid 25-30% of the time where I ‘miss’ a heal on a stationary target. Funny enough, I find that when a target is moving I hit more spells. Probably just from all the time I’ve spent trying to hit moving players in game. Almost feels like hit boxes ‘stretch’ with movement. There are definitely times where I feel like my spells shouldn’t have landed as well. Almost like there’s a specific amount of delay after you’ve actually targeted someone where your spells will land.

Reactions: Hodo

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
It definitely gets worse the closer you are to your target.

Imagine if we had a NA server where the US/CAN/MEX/and South Americans could have a ping sub 200ms, and the AUS/ASIA could have a ping sub 300ms.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
It definitely gets worse the closer you are to your target.

Imagine if we had a NA server where the US/CAN/MEX/and South Americans could have a ping sub 200ms, and the AUS/ASIA could have a ping sub 300ms.
Yeah, much more important for the hitbox to line up when you are close. Which is impossible to do, since you do not know where it is. lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elijah and Hodo