Campsite ideas

Magos

Nov 26, 2020
Campsite ideas:

-First you should be able to easily craft a campfire in the wilderness by gathering some wood and stones.

-Place down a campfire which automatically gives an allowable build radius (could be a ring shown when placing it that is both build radius and fire light distance), everything else can be placed around the campfire in the build radius as long as it's flat enough. Anything placed after a campfire would make it a campsite.

-Everything should be craftable in the wilderness starting with just worn shortsword, stone, wood, or animal materials. Better materials can be used for better dura/fancier campsites.

-The bed could be set as home spawn point with a friends list who can also set it as spawn point, should cap at just a few friends tho.

-Trying to build a new campsite should give a warning message that you are about to destroy your current campsite

-Can fit a few workbenches that can be easily salvaged and swapped.

-You should be able to set any pets you have out on graze around your campsite and they will stay in the area and feed themself.

-Buildable Stable Post where 3 pets can be tied to (like being in Equarry), no statgain or hunger. But exposed to be killed freely.

-Camps should have upkeep and decay but if they had a chest built it should stay in game for a long time, lockpickable, and eventually fully unlocked when it's almost fully decayed.

-Campsites should be linkable if placed within each others radius, so you can have guild shared chests for siege camps

*** sry for repost, mods wouldn't let me bump/add to my old thread ***

Icegoten

Jun 12, 2020
-Trying to build a new campsite should give a warning message that you are about to destroy your current campsite

Interesting idea. I don't think a campsite should just up and disappear though. Imagine if I came across an already built campsite and decided to use one of the work benches there then all of a sudden poof it disappears. Instead I think campsites can work in tiers. You bring 100/100 wood/stone and it stays there for 30 minutes. You add to it and bring in 1000/1000 and it refreshes the timer and it remains for however long the timer is for a night cycle in game.

This seems like a great idea because currently in the beta the world is empty. We just got houses to test out so there will be some houses in places but it would increase the travelling aspect of your journey to see campfire smoke in the distance or the fire itself and head to it knowing that players could be close by.

Magos

Nov 26, 2020
Interesting idea. I don't think a campsite should just up and disappear though. Imagine if I came across an already built campsite and decided to use one of the work benches there then all of a sudden poof it disappears. Instead I think campsites can work in tiers. You bring 100/100 wood/stone and it stays there for 30 minutes. You add to it and bring in 1000/1000 and it refreshes the timer and it remains for however long the timer is for a night cycle in game.

This seems like a great idea because currently in the beta the world is empty. We just got houses to test out so there will be some houses in places but it would increase the travelling aspect of your journey to see campfire smoke in the distance or the fire itself and head to it knowing that players could be close by.
ya it would be weird if they just poof disappeared...but they should decay really fast or something if you build a second one, otherwise they would just be all over.
That was my original thought process....but I see what you're saying that they could all just decay pretty fast unless you're upkeeping them consistantly, that could def work too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Najwalaylah

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
Campsite ideas:

-First you should be able to easily craft a campfire in the wilderness by gathering some wood and stones.
There was a recipe for that in MO1, so why not? Maybe just one campfire at a time, though.
Forest Fire?:Back when Wessex lived in Moh'ki, a clerk known as Armano Linger and Laylah Sothenic (me) loogged in one Nave morning to find 47* campfires blazing under the trees just outside the front gate. We had to go out with Worh Short Swords, through choking waves of lag, and destroy them all, one by one.
*This number gets bigger every year, in the traditional manner of old stories.

Campfire mechanics are obviously a work in progress?
-Place down a campfire which automatically gives an allowable build radius (could be a ring shown when placing it that is both build radius and fire light distance), everything else can be placed around the campfire in the build radius as long as it's flat enough. Anything placed after a campfire would make it a campsite.
This is in keeping with how building radius for houses works, right?
-Everything should be craftable in the wilderness starting with just worn shortsword, stone, wood, or animal materials. Better materials can be used for better dura/fancier campsites.

-The bed could be set as home spawn point with a friends list who can also set it as spawn point, should cap at just a few friends tho.
I'm visualising a cot instead of a bed.
These few friends; they have to actually travel to the campsite, first, in order to set it as a spawn point?
Those few of your friends using your campsite as a spawn point are about to lose it (presumably falling back to their previous spawn point) if you build a new one?
-Can fit a few workbenches that can be easily salvaged and swapped.
Something for everyone.
-You should be able to set any pets you have out on graze around your campsite and they will stay in the area and feed themself.

-Buildable Stable Post where 3 pets can be tied to (like being in Equarry), no stat gain or hunger. But exposed to be killed freely.
Like this part a lot.
-Camps should have upkeep and decay but if they had a chest built it should stay in game for a long time, lockpickable, and eventually fully unlocked when it's almost fully decayed.
Sounds good, as in 'far less predictable' than most chests spawning in the world used to be.
-Campsites should be linkable if placed within each others radius, so you can have guild shared chests for siege camps
I don't know how this part would work (though some of it sounds cool); if you could place the campsite within the readisus of another campsite, won't someone eventually stack up several of them on the same spot, or build one on top of someone else's?
*** sry for repost, mods wouldn't let me bump/add to my old thread ***
OT: I wish that Suggestion Threads could stay open to refinements on the same suggestion (not to opposing suggestions-- those should be in their own threads) until
  • someone from Star Vault comes along to say "We have no plans to ever take such a suggestions", or
  • the Suggestion is taken.
The OP's shoud have the opportunity to bump their month-old suggestions that haven't been taken.

There will be new players coming to these forums looking at the Suggestion content, and if Star Vault is deserving or just lucky there will be a LOT of those new players. Some of them will want to express support for very 'old' Suggestions. They should get a chance to do so.

Reactions: Magos

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
IF Star Vault someday has true roaming animal Ai, wolves (for instance) hunting in packs, or bears prowling about at night seeking what & who they can devour, a campfire at a campsite ought to make them a little or a lot less aggressive, for a small radius. (I don't want to get into how hard that might be to code; I do know that sometimes simple-seeming things are actually hard.)

Reactions: Icegoten and Magos