Bows change

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
an indicator that bows are shit right now is that you will not see archers in the game =) no one wants to play for them like that. the rest is philosophy. when was the penultimate patch you regularly saw people with bows as playing as an archer was fun.

Reactions: Vagrant

Valoran

May 28, 2020
an indicator that bows are shit right now is that you will not see archers in the game =) no one wants to play for them like that. the rest is philosophy. when was the penultimate patch you regularly saw people with bows as playing as an archer was fun.
I actually see people using bows all the time when I log in.

The only real difference to previous patches is a slight change in arrow speed and trajectory here, so all you need to do is adjust how much you're leading someone who is running compared to before and you'll still hit them, just re-learn how to be accurate and the current system is great.

Rennuir

May 28, 2020
yea i honestly think its fine right now i can still do long shots theres just 2 things that bug me tho

1. let me queue up another arrow as i release it instead of having to wait 1-2 secs for the mouse click to be registered

2. for the bow reticle have it centered instead of slightly to the right (or just align the targeting reticle with the bow reticle, either way works)
its annoying having to adjust it for each shot

Valoran

May 28, 2020
yea i honestly think its fine right now i can still do long shots theres just 2 things that bug me tho

1. let me queue up another arrow as i release it instead of having to wait 1-2 secs for the mouse click to be registered

2. for the bow reticle have it centered instead of slightly to the right (or just align the targeting reticle with the bow reticle, either way works)
its annoying having to adjust it for each shot
You can draw a new arrow the instant a new arrow appears in the bow. I think they're going to add a proper reload animation soon so it's more obvious as well as hopefully a sound that lets you know you can draw again.

I would also like the aiming to be centered. I think they have it like this to avoid issues with the string clipping into the camera though.

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
I actually see people using bows all the time when I log in.

The only real difference to previous patches is a slight change in arrow speed and trajectory here, so all you need to do is adjust how much you're leading someone who is running compared to before and you'll still hit them, just re-learn how to be accurate and the current system is great.
I disagree. The differences are striking from the previous patch. Slow tension, dispersion of the target when aiming, the arrow's flight speed became very slow, the feeling that you are shooting not with an arrow but with a shovel handle.
before you could calculate the trajectory of an arrow based on the target that is moving, now you shoot more for luck.

Dec 10, 2020
Adding my 2 cents in that Archery felt better previous patch. I can still hit people at a medium distance reliably, but it did something janky to closer ranges. Also seeing people get hit and take damage, but the arrow passes by and creates a dust cloud puff on the ground. Not sure what is happening there.

Reactions: Vagrant

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I can sum up my thoughts on the new archery system in two quick points.

1. Aiming is great. Leave it how it is.
2. Fix arrow trajectory by making it flatter. Even shortbows should have a bit more range than this.

Last edited: