Bow Tweaks

Russiansoviet92

Mar 29, 2021
I feel like strength should depict what grade of bow you can use as it still does IG, but DEXTERITY is the sole depicter of damage that can be inflicted with them, as just for speed is really not great for bow users, it would make more sense attribute wise that dexterity had more dependency on bow use.

Ravenclaw

Apr 1, 2021
I believe that Dex is quite under represented.
Bows and Daggers should definitely be mostly Dex based. There is also at least one 1h hilt and blade combo that could be like 50/50.

Ravenclaw

Apr 1, 2021
Being able to draw a Bow...Str, no doubt about it. Being able to put the arrow where you want it, Dex.

When, in any world, game or real, has a Dagger been used like a Claymore? It has ALWAYS been about speed and precision.

In general, thin sword blades like the "Katana" type swords have a Dex component in-grained simply due to being thin. It is a simple mass issue at its heart.

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
This is where you could start looking at making dex increase or decrease an aimcone with bows however, this would contradict some of the skill based elements of firing and aiming the bow in the first place - which would be unpopular. With this in mind, dex could give flat armor penetration like it was suggested for the dex stat in another thread?

Ravenclaw

Apr 1, 2021
Armor pen should be a function of the type of arrow used.
I have not thought about the cone thing, but it kinda makes sense. In drawing a bow there is a bit of "wobble" just before zeroing in on the point you want the arrow to go.
Skill with a mouse is quite different from skill with a bow.

Last edited:

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
I have not thought about the cone thing, but it kinda makes sense. In drawing a bow there is a bit of "wobble" just before zeroing in on the point you want the arrow to go.

Yea well you'd basically just have a circle around the dot in the middle and the wider the circle, the greater the radius the arrow will go in a random direction in that circle. It would have to get 100% accurate again at around 100-110 dex or so though I would have to think or tie into some clade gifts for specific races.

Reactions: ElPerro

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020

Bodkins traditionally are an armor penetration arrow (Talking IRL history not MO1 here) while broadheads are hunting arrows or arrows used against unarmored targets. As of a month or two ago I conclusively confirmed broadheads and bodkins are both reduced the same damage percent by both scale and steel armor. Broadheads than bodkins are universally better regardless of target armor, with longbow arrows being universally better for longbows in specific and nothing else.

This should not be the case. Bodkins should do more damage to someone in full steel armor than broadheads. If they don't, rename them "practice arrows" as universally bad damage is not what bodkins actually did. As is, they are only good if you want to spam weak attacks at a target to raise skill.

Ravenclaw

Apr 1, 2021
Bodkins traditionally are an armor penetration arrow (Talking IRL history not MO1 here) while broadheads are hunting arrows or arrows used against unarmored targets. As of a month or two ago I conclusively confirmed broadheads and bodkins are both reduced the same damage percent by both scale and steel armor. Broadheads than bodkins are universally better regardless of target armor, with longbow arrows being universally better for longbows in specific and nothing else.

This should not be the case. Bodkins should do more damage to someone in full steel armor than broadheads. If they don't, rename them "practice arrows" as universally bad damage is not what bodkins actually did. As is, they are only good if you want to spam weak attacks at a target to raise skill.
True...Bodkins basically look like a big four-sided nail. A good view of one can be seen in a later episode of GoT where the archer on there is asking that blacksmith guy if he could make them.

Ravenclaw

Apr 1, 2021
Yea well you'd basically just have a circle around the dot in the middle and the wider the circle, the greater the radius the arrow will go in a random direction in that circle. It would have to get 100% accurate again at around 100-110 dex or so though I would have to think or tie into some clade gifts for specific races.
I dont think that is that bad of an idea actually...

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020

I actually am really fond of this idea as well. I think it would be a good idea to make 100% accuracy at 110 dex so the Alvarin sacrifice the highest dmg bows for the most accuracy seeing as dex is not worth the speed gain atm.

The 121-123 huegar bow builds with 87 dex would have to be closer range instead of sniping and high dmg.

Reactions: Woody

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
I actually am really fond of this idea as well. I think it would be a good idea to make 100% accuracy at 110 dex so the Alvarin sacrifice the highest dmg bows for the most accuracy seeing as dex is not worth the speed gain atm.

The 121-123 huegar bow builds with 87 dex would have to be closer range instead of sniping and high dmg.

Yea exactly. Seems like a decent middle ground between the skill based gameplay of aiming and the stat based gameplay of builds etc. That said, the circle would still have to be relatively tight even at lower Dex levels to not completely make bows at close-medium range a meme. There only needs to be a slight angle variation at the point of firing to make a significant accuracy difference over long distances. Think of a right angle triangle to calculate this. Over a 100m distance, a 2 degree variation at the point of firing would make your arrow miss by 3m.

So even if the scale was linear, a random value within the aimcone could look something like this:

"Dex = min-max degree variation"

110 = 0
100 = 0-1
90 = 0-2
80 = 0-3
etc.

Aimcones do allow for a degree of randomness so sometimes they can fire dead straight at 0 degree, other shots might be at 1.5 etc. The penalty of accuracy lessens over shorter distances due to two things, obviously larger character hit boxes when closer and the distance traveled by the arrow.

And visually, something like this:

110 dex (basically default aim or a dot):
120dex.png

100 dex:
100dex.png

80dex:
80dex.png

Last edited:

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
Let's also curve the stam drain on high strength bows more. Right now the stam drain on 100+ STR bows is negligible in many situations, which is why it has become the early-game meta to have two sides just standing there spamming arrows until one side shows weakness.

Ravenclaw

Apr 1, 2021
Foot archers should not be able to spam arrows while running. Its one of the worst things about combat right now. At least make the aim wobble massively and their stamina drain a ton.
The cone suggestion would be perfect for this... the faster the person is going, the bigger the cone.

Xursed

Mar 14, 2021
Dexterity effecting archery and daggers is just fantasy tropes. If dex effected daggers it should also effect swords, axes, and spears. I would also make the argument intelligence would have more to do with aiming a bow than your dexterity.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Foot archers should not be able to spam arrows while running. Its one of the worst things about combat right now. At least make the aim wobble massively and their stamina drain a ton.
Some ppl wanted to deny the existence of no stam bows but its obvious they are a thing now. They are even worse than in MO1 since the damage is way higher, and this is using cheap crepite bows lol

Reactions: Rorry and Slyy

Tiddly

Mar 31, 2021
As far as I heard, Dex is getting big changes. It could be possible, but it seems like there'd be too much min-maxing involved between Str & Dex to use a bow that isn't just slinging rubber bands at people.

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
Dexterity effecting archery and daggers is just fantasy tropes. If dex effected daggers it should also effect swords, axes, and spears. I would also make the argument intelligence would have more to do with aiming a bow than your dexterity.

That's fine but you can't just have strength being the only factor when it comes to the bow gameplay in the game. And you're right dex should affect more than just bows and it does currently with weakspots. In another thread, a suggestion was to remove the RNG weakspot mechanic with dex and give flat % armor pen instead for all weapons. To me this seems like a practical solution as well as giving more value to bow gameplay via dex (such as aimcone etc)