Bound block directions

PatWins

May 28, 2020
Would really love if y'all added the ability to bind each block direction to a specific key.

Rather than pressing the direction and right clicking simultaneously, why not just make the key trigger the block by itself? After playing 1000s of hours of MO1 and a few hundred hours using these controls in Gloria Victis I can honestly say I prefer them.

Think it would be a great addition to the current control schemes.

Thanks, hope everyone is doing well!

Slammington Unchained

May 28, 2020
If you can't input both a movement direction and a simple right mouse click to block that direction, the game is too hardcore for you.

PatWins

May 28, 2020
Not sure how this is a negative at all. Everyone is so quick to trash new ideas.
If you can't input both a movement direction and a simple right mouse click to block that direction, the game is too hardcore for you.

Man it's just an additional option. The MO community has always been so quick to shit on new ideas it's just sad. It wouldn't negatively impact your gameplay or anyone else's it's just an additional option. A different way to customize the way you play. Doesn't change the game at all.

Like I said I have thousands of hours in MO. I am more than comfortable with the combat system. Just thought it was a good quality of life addition.

Lol so much hostility... Damn shame.

Slammington Unchained

May 28, 2020
Not sure how this is a negative at all. Everyone is so quick to trash new ideas.

Man it's just an additional option. The MO community has always been so quick to shit on new ideas it's just sad. It wouldn't negatively impact your gameplay or anyone else's it's just an additional option. A different way to customize the way you play. Doesn't change the game at all.

Like I said I have thousands of hours in MO. I am more than comfortable with the combat system. Just thought it was a good quality of life addition.

Lol so much hostility... Damn shame.
You must not have enough thousands of hours in MO to understand no matter how much of a good suggestion you make, you're still going to get shat on relentlessly

Monco

May 28, 2020
I always felt that when a game allows you to bind block directions it becomes easier and more immediate to block attacks, especially for beginners, so I think that could lower the "skill ceiling" in combat. I'd personally like to have such an option but I can see why some people might be against it.

Reactions: ThaBadMan

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
I always felt that when a game allows you to bind block directions it becomes easier and more immediate to block attacks, especially for beginners, so I think that could lower the "skill ceiling" in combat. I'd personally like to have such an option but I can see why some people might be against it.
That is very true and not something wanted in MO2 imo.
Now to get around that we could simply make blocking radius small and harder to aim towards incoming swings, even if that wont be welcomed with the high ping player base for sure.

Solairerection

May 28, 2020
The blocking radius being enormous is definitely an issue, right now you can hit someone in the back and they still parry you. If they were smaller it wouldn't matter if you pressed your keyboard or mouse-click, you would still need to move your aim towards where your enemy tries to swing at you (so there would be two elements of iniating a block regardless).

PatWins

May 28, 2020
I see your point. Didn't think about it that way. To counter though, don't we want the game to feel a little more simplified for noobs? Them enjoying the game a little more and feeling a little more noob friendly isn't going to be the deciding factor of whether or not they excel at pvp. However, it might just be a little nudge to stick with the game. You never know.

See where you're coming from though.

Jaseace

May 28, 2020
I see your point. Didn't think about it that way. To counter though, don't we want the game to feel a little more simplified for noobs? Them enjoying the game a little more and feeling a little more noob friendly isn't going to be the deciding factor of whether or not they excel at pvp. However, it might just be a little nudge to stick with the game. You never know.

See where you're coming from though.
I don't see how adding in four new key binds "for noobs" will simplify anything. Mouse and movement based systems are as simple as it gets, and if you can't figure those out... Well, this isn't the game for you.

Reactions: ThaBadMan

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
I don't see how adding in four new key binds "for noobs" will simplify anything. Mouse and movement based systems are as simple as it gets, and if you can't figure those out... Well, this isn't the game for you.
Agreed, we now have 3 ways to do it, keyboard, mouse direction and mouse drag direction.

Slammington Unchained

May 28, 2020
Did you just say it would make it easier and lower the skill ceiling in combat? Absolutely do not implement this concept; it would turn this hardcore game into carebear online

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
Who is going to bother binding 4 different block directions? Besides those who play in alternative ways (styled keyboard, or a disabled person), I don't think many will want to try and devote that many keys.

Outside of that, what benefit does it really give?? Using mouse controls, you merely need flick your mouse for a nano-second in a direction and block to get the right direction.. you're telling me having a dedicated key for left/right/overhead/middle is faster or easier than that in most cases? I don't see how it would be. Besides, we all have to deal with ping anyway, so it'll be delayed either way.

I think those opposing it are more opposing change without actually considering the variables.

I see no reason why we should not have the option to bind them.