Beta Feedback

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
So right off the bat I want to commend SV on its world building. The landscapes are beautiful and incredibly detailed, the Forests feel more alive with foliage than in the previous installment.

Now come the criticisms in a hope to inform improvement.

Combat: It is slow, very slow. Very very slow and it does not really allow for feints and misdirection plays.

Stamina: The regeneration of stamina in combat situations is intolerably slow, and consumption of stamina while using sword/shield combo was near impossible to manage, especially if outnumbered.

Animations/Tracers: With regards to swords, the attack tracers seemed unintuitively short when doing side swings and overhead attacks, where arguably you'd be using the full length of the weapon.

Performance: Even on the lowest of visual settings I found myself suffering from poor framerate.

My specs are out of date but not too shabby. 32gb ir 3200 ddr4 RAM, GTX 1060 6gb VRAM, Ryzen 7 1700x CPU.

I'll admit my specs could use improvement so I'm willing to rule it as something that could be a factor to my experience.

Atmosphere: The Music available is dated and ripped mostly from MO-1, not particularly daring or interesting.

The lighting and textures are beautiful.

The character models are well built. I think, however that corpse models distintigrating on death, while cool aesthetically takes something away from the experience of seeing a field of carcasses from slain foes. I think this issue could be improved on the client side experience, dead bodies should last longer.

Overall Beta Experience: It wasn't bad, it wasn't great. I started it in Moh'ki and ended in Fabernum, had two old acquaintainces in tow and while we marveled at the overall expanse of the world, we encountered floating rocks, incomplete ghost rivers with no volumes, very jagged mountains that could use some cleaning up.

The expanse of the world also requires one to have transportation it is simply too vast to tolerably walk on foot. It is not impossible, I did it tonight, but it reminded me just how long such a journey can be without a ride, and with this much larger world, a ride would still take some time.

Rating: 3/5. It's good, but not great, not bad, nothing to write home about. I recommend making some tweaks, improve the netcode, and finishing another continent or two before even considering release, lest SV makes the same mistakes of the past.

"A game delayed is eventually good, a game rushed and unfinished will forever be bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Friend you join "ALPHA COMBAT STAGE", what do you expect from the game at this stage? You just test the fight in the game and that's it =) this is ALPHA COMBAT stage... they gradually polish the surrounding world and make changes to the landscape and the like.

Rhodri_Taliesin

May 29, 2020
Wandering the road
Friend you join "ALPHA COMBAT STAGE", what do you expect from the game at this stage? You just test the fight in the game and that's it =) this is ALPHA COMBAT stage... they gradually polish the surrounding world and make changes to the landscape and the like.
Uh... no shit sherlock?

I know what stage of testing this is; that is why I am putting in feedback so that SV can make improvements before launch.

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
If we take the combat system at this stage, what can be minimally done in my opinion to increase the dynamics of the battle?

1) Reduce stamina consumption while blocking a blow. Now the player who has made several successful attacks and hits the blows has an advantage over the player who is in the defense position. The player who defends himself does not have time to retreat and restore his stamina and misses hits one after another.

1a) Either increase the stamina consumption of the attacking player who gets into the block to the enemy, this will equalize the attacking and defending player in the consumption of stamina.

As for archery. Yesterday SV fixed archery with a small patch and it became comfortable in my opinion.

What needs to be done in my opinion for the dynamics of the battle of archers?
2) It is necessary to reduce the consumption of stamina from the arrows. It is impossible to chase the enemy and finish him off, or vice versa, when the enemy shortens the distance, the archer cannot break the distance, retreat and shoot arrows, he does not have enough stamina to break the distance, fire a shot or change weapons for attack or defense.

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
A bit off-topic but,

Rhodri said,
"My specs are out of date but not too shabby. 32gb ir 3200 ddr4 RAM, GTX 1060 6gb VRAM, Ryzen 7 1700x CPU."

Rhodri, my laptop is a 1060 with half that RAM. I noticed I had little ability to increase my fps with the in-game video settings (aliasing, DLSS, etc.), so I changed resolution from 1920x1080 to 1280x720 (same aspect ratio) and doubled my fps. I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but it made me combat-able, and 720 still looks good, esp. since the in-game setting dont affect fps much, so you can crank em up. FYI, I don't know if its just my system, but if I put shadows at minimum, lighting system turned to crap on me, so at least crank that up I'd suggest. Hope it helps.

Rhodri_Taliesin

May 29, 2020
Wandering the road
A bit off-topic but,

Rhodri said,
"My specs are out of date but not too shabby. 32gb ir 3200 ddr4 RAM, GTX 1060 6gb VRAM, Ryzen 7 1700x CPU."

Rhodri, my laptop is a 1060 with half that RAM. I noticed I had little ability to increase my fps with the in-game video settings (aliasing, DLSS, etc.), so I changed resolution from 1920x1080 to 1280x720 (same aspect ratio) and doubled my fps. I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but it made me combat-able, and 720 still looks good, esp. since the in-game setting dont affect fps much, so you can crank em up. FYI, I don't know if its just my system, but if I put shadows at minimum, lighting system turned to crap on me, so at least crank that up I'd suggest. Hope it helps.
Thanks for your input man, but all that tells me is that SV needs to spend some time optimizing their program for that older hardware. The 1060 was still relatively new only two or three years ago and should have been decent future proofing. Fact of the matter is the Ampere and the Turing systems are insanely advanced for GPU systems and outperform the 1060 by extreme margins that were unprecedented at the time.

Unless SV wants to revise their recommended minimum specs to better reflect their technical capabilities, they should probably work on optimization ASAP.

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
Unless SV wants to revise their recommended minimum specs to better reflect their technical capabilities, they should probably work on optimization ASAP.
No arguments from me. Henrik said yesterday in MK that they're still trying to nail down a texture mem issue, and a few other things, so I think we'll get more optimizations. Frankly I hope they work on the netcode more, tbh. UE4 is a rock solid engine, but everything from ping discrepancies to node lines, are completely not good enough yet.

Rhodri_Taliesin

May 29, 2020
Wandering the road
No arguments from me. Henrik said yesterday in MK that they're still trying to nail down a texture mem issue, and a few other things, so I think we'll get more optimizations. Frankly I hope they work on the netcode more, tbh. UE4 is a rock solid engine, but everything from ping discrepancies to node lines, are completely not good enough yet.
Node lines are a basics issue and something that SV hasn't been able to nail down since their earliest days. I hope that can prove me wrong, but that remains to be seen.