Beast Masters should be able to do solo PVE

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Hey,
with a mage it's really cumbersome to kill anything solo in PVE (e.g. Bandits, Risars or Sators).
I know, this is an MMO. Still, if you have only a single character, you sometimes want to be able to do something solo when nobody else is available.
In MO1 the "solution" to this issue was a Beast Master.
The pet tanked, and the mage healed up the pet.
In MO2 this seems to be no longer possible. Since current pets seem to lack any ressistance the damage they receive is so massive, that you can't counterheal the incoming damage.

In this video I used a level 110 dire wolf (consumes 77 petpoints) and I'm not able to kill a single risar with it.
Yes, it's probably not the stronges available pet, but it's a pretty strong one with good damage and ~330 life.
The video contains also some other bugs such as pets can't cross invisible "walls", pets randomy stop attacking and ran of in random directions & pets are unable to hit slow moving targets. Oh, and then there are those horrible lags at the MohKi Risar spawn...

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
I like your way to park the pet in background, pull the Risar and then run to the pet and let it attack. But the bad problems of beast masters in MO2 are obvious.

Btw, are you using the beast mastery skill? Is it already in the game?

Rhias

May 28, 2020
I like your way to park the pet in background, pull the Risar and then run to the pet and let it attack. But the bad problems of beast masters in MO2 are obvious.

Btw, are you using the beast mastery skill? Is it already in the game?

Yes, at 85. I did some damage comparison of BM at level 0 and at 85 using a lvl 125 Razorback and the 110 direwolf and I didn't notice any difference. So I'm not sure if it is not working yet, or if my Dire Wolf/Razorback only had no new attacks to unlock...

EZgold

Jan 28, 2021
"Beast Mastery" skill does nothing in game right now, so everybody can drop it until it is implemented. But I suspect pets have the full potential of their attacks anyway, as if we all had 100 BM.
The direwolf (and bears) when sometimes run away from the target it is because they are doing a "Charge" attack and this requires an actual charge animation. So they run away to have the proper distance from where to do the charge. The slow moving while running away and returning is because the AI pathing is still bad.

Direwolf was never a proper PVE pet, more like a poor man's PVP aid and only IF carefully managed. A proper (still poor man's) PVE pet would be a (brown) bear, although that would still struggle against a veteran bandit for example. The actual norm for a PVE pet was a Death Knight. Alas all these builds were impossible to work as a solo PVE because of the lack of hauling options. Sure, you could collect only some of the drops like the heads or maybe even only the gems/gold and leave everything else on the ground but that is quite silly.

I am hoping the developers will (soon) add craftable armor AND bags to most pets (not for the rabbits). And of course let us ride them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xunila

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Direwolf was never a proper PVE pet, more like a poor man's PVP aid and only IF carefully managed. A proper (still poor man's) PVE pet would be a (brown) bear, although that would still struggle against a veteran bandit for example. The actual norm for a PVE pet was a Death Knight.

i agree with this. Back in Mo1 the only pets somewhat decent for pve were ones with huge health pools like bears or bull molvas (with armour). Even then it was buggy as hell. Dire wolf was decent damage but always too squishy.

Reactions: PoisonArrows

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
Hey,
with a mage it's really cumbersome to kill anything solo in PVE (e.g. Bandits, Risars or Sators).
I know, this is an MMO. Still, if you have only a single character, you sometimes want to be able to do something solo when nobody else is available.
In MO1 the "solution" to this issue was a Beast Master.
The pet tanked, and the mage healed up the pet.
In MO2 this seems to be no longer possible. Since current pets seem to lack any ressistance the damage they receive is so massive, that you can't counterheal the incoming damage.

In this video I used a level 110 dire wolf (consumes 77 petpoints) and I'm not able to kill a single risar with it.
Yes, it's probably not the stronges available pet, but it's a pretty strong one with good damage and ~330 life.
The video contains also some other bugs such as pets can't cross invisible "walls", pets randomy stop attacking and ran of in random directions & pets are unable to hit slow moving targets. Oh, and then there are those horrible lags at the MohKi Risar spawn...
I have made several mentions of Pets running off on forum post, as well as how Dire Wolfs and Cougars seem to take way too many pet points and don't have as much health or damage as they need to do anything useful. I made a Beast Master post let's get some talking on it and this post maybe the devs see it before release and get more people talking.

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
i agree with this. Back in Mo1 the only pets somewhat decent for pve were ones with huge health pools like bears or bull molvas (with armour). Even then it was buggy as hell. Dire wolf was decent damage but always too squishy.
That's exactly right Bears/Minotaurs were always pretty decent at tanking with their health pools. Bull Molvas and Compodons as well. One thing Cougars/DireWolfs/Taur Dogs/Crocodiles/ and bats all had in common was Swarming the enemy with 3 of them at a time with Herding. But they have lost their place in Mo2 since they take way too much pet points in Mo2 compared to Mo1. And they don't have the damage or Hp to justify taking one of those pets over a Bear. In Mo1 3 pets had less tankyness then a Bear but the 3 pets together could slightly outdamage a bear and could spelllock a mage out of casting spells. Terrorbirds were even fast enough to catch MAs and we even had Shooting pets with Lizards and Spiders And Demon Bats. But it doesn't look like we have any of those other play styles as a Beast Master for Mo2. Hit my post on Beast Masters to give it some love and get some people talking so us Beast Masters aren't left in the dark.