Battle of the Woods - Temporary Content Drought Solution

PatWins

May 28, 2020
Hey everyone,

As you probably already realize, the game's population is at an all-time low for the time being. This is due to a handful of essential content layers still missing from the game. This is to be expected as the game is in Beta and requires more time to get to a truly playable state.

I think we can all agree that we want a reason to continue logging in. Truth is, the game simply isn't ready to provide us with that level of content on its own. That being said, this is where it becomes our job as a community to create content (absurd concept in a sandbox game I know) and give people something to enjoy until the devs catch up.

The idea is that all guilds interested in PvP move down to one of the three cities in the Khurite Forest. My reasoning behind picking the Khurite forest is due to its short routes and constant choke points between the three cities. If we manage to pull this off, you'll likely have difficulty riding between any of the cities without running into some sort of interesting/dangerous encounter.

I strongly urge everyone to put Persistent State politics and strategic living arrangements aside for the time being and offer your groups/guilds a reason to enjoy the game again.

Three tightly woven cities with loads of choke points and interesting terrain to fight on, all within a 10-15 minute ride of one another.

Thanks for reading. I hope at least a few groups consider participating in this temporary content drought solution. I think it could end up being an absolute blast and will tide us over until more crucial content is introduced to the game.

Looking forward to getting stomped and donating my gear!

Last edited:

Glitch

Mar 27, 2021
Doing my best to get us involved as well, but we just started getting a lot of bang in GK and we just got our allies here that took their time to get here so we'll be doing GK bang for now and then we'll see if we can get involved later on if anything. I still VERY MUCH support this and I appreciate PatWins for the dope idea. If anything I can maybe get my alt involved with a TE tag.

Also don't forget I coined the term "Battle of the Woods!" lol

PatWins

May 28, 2020
Doing my best to get us involved as well, but we just started getting a lot of bang in GK and we just got our allies here that took their time to get here so we'll be doing GK bang for now and then we'll see if we can get involved later on if anything. I still VERY MUCH support this and I appreciate PatWins for the dope idea. If anything I can maybe get my alt involved with a TE tag.

Also don't forget I coined the term "Battle of the Woods!" lol
Yes Battle of the Woods is all you! Thanks Glitch!

cerqo

Mar 17, 2021
Lmao, or you know just move to Fab the city with the most pvp and guards that actually allow pvp.

PatWins

May 28, 2020
Lmao, or you know just move to Fab the city with the most pvp and guards that actually allow pvp.
Cramming everyone into one city discourages travel and open world fights. Just weird guard zone greifing and horse killing. Not to mention, when everyone is in one city it becomes, who's going to leave and pick the fight first? Then everyone just sits and waits around.

Having groups spread between three close cities will encourage short roams and organic open world fights. Not janky guard zone Fabernum PvP.

Might even simulate the feeling of small war type scenarios.

Moebius

Nov 29, 2020
no the game sucks. maybe have guilds work on their own instead of mega zergs and you would have pvp.

Reactions: Vergil

Kebek

Jan 11, 2021
no the game sucks. maybe have guilds work on their own instead of mega zergs and you would have pvp.

Yeah, fuck politics. You know, a big part of the game?
The game is only about small scale PvP skirmishes between equally sized groups, right?

HOLY FUCK LOL 🤡

• Haha
Reactions: Rolufe and Teknique

Vergil

May 1, 2021
Yeah, fuck politics. You know, a big part of the game?
The game is only about small scale PvP skirmishes between equally sized groups, right?

HOLY FUCK LOL 🤡
At the same time, the point is valid.
Right now no skill ever matters, as long as you have number advantage.

It is a problem because everyone are sitting ducks in the same town for 24/7 never travelling to different towns.

I think game designed solution for this is standing system, that allows killing people nearby other towns without loosing standing with the town you're living in. It already works. However, people do not understand this, or just playing "white knights" all around thinking they're elite, reducing pvp to none if ever. While in reality they're just killing the game, since there's no PvE anyway atm.

Just dare to touch anyone, and you'd get an angry zerg crowd rushing towards you. That's how guilds are right now.
Anti-RPK guilds are the worst by the way. But I guess that's just human nature 101.

I'd love to see an actual guild town raids, but until RPK / ARPK mentality changes - it won't happen ever.
With MC mattering literally 0 right now, I don't see why that shouldn't be the case.

Proper solution however is actually to equally / randomly distribute valuable resources across map that do not respawn.
(discussed here: https://mortalonline2.com/forums/threads/resource-distribution.2319/)

While standing system is nice, random resource distribution would motivate to explore more of the map.
Leading to a lesser scale and more common conflicts, improving overall PvP experience.
This would also mitigate that feeling of completely empty and dead world.

Take this with a grain of salt, because I'm nowhere near MO1 vet, this is just what we've experienced as a small group / single players in MO2.

Last edited:

Breannor

May 28, 2020
Problem remain the same : World is so Big , it need more rogue cities. I know there will be keep but what is the content for medium size guild ?

Kebek

Jan 11, 2021
At the same time, the point is valid.
Right now no skill ever matters, as long as you have number advantage.

The problem you describe has nothing to do with "zergs" or skill. The issue lies with the reputation system.
If killing people and guards in rival towns would give you better standing with your own home town, people would be raiding other towns all the time.

And there's nothing stopping guilds from requesting equal number fights. If you gank a bunch of naked miners you can't get upset the locals gank you in return.

Morwen

Mar 18, 2021
I will share it with our guys but is hard to have people comitted at the current state of the game and without persistence...

Also currently legion and TE are on GK which actually are the stronger guilds on those khurite towns, unlucky they just left Vadda for now.

Reactions: PatWins

Wesley Snipes

May 28, 2020
Cramming everyone into one city discourages travel and open world fights. Just weird guard zone greifing and horse killing. Not to mention, when everyone is in one city it becomes, who's going to leave and pick the fight first? Then everyone just sits and waits around.

Having groups spread between three close cities will encourage short roams and organic open world fights. Not janky guard zone Fabernum PvP.

Might even simulate the feeling of small war type scenarios.

The travelling is the worst aspect of the game. Maybe if the game had 10,000 players it wouldn't be so bad, but mo2 will never reach that. Even UO understood that getting to places fast was good, and that game is 20 years old. The game is fucked because the guy on top is a stubborn bone head that took a niche and made it even less accessible by adding more inconvenience.J

Morwen

Mar 18, 2021
The travelling is the worst aspect of the game. Maybe if the game had 10,000 players it wouldn't be so bad, but mo2 will never reach that. Even UO understood that getting to places fast was good, and that game is 20 years old. The game is fucked because the guy on top is a stubborn bone head that took a niche and made it even less accessible by adding more inconvenience.J

If we had at least more character slots but map x6 bigger, one character per account and no fast travel really kills these kind of town events.

PatWins

May 28, 2020
Hell i
I will share it with our guys but is hard to have people comitted at the current state of the game and without persistence...

Also currently legion and TE are on GK which actually are the stronger guilds on those khurite towns, unlucky they just left Vadda for now.
Fair enough! I appreciate you sharing.

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
Hey everyone,

As you probably already realize, the game's population is at an all-time low for the time being. This is due to a handful of essential content layers still missing from the game. This is to be expected as the game is in Beta and requires more time to get to a truly playable state.

I think we can all agree that we want a reason to continue logging in. Truth is, the game simply isn't ready to provide us with that level of content on its own. That being said, this is where it becomes our job as a community to create content (absurd concept in a sandbox game I know) and give people something to enjoy until the devs catch up.

The idea is that all guilds interested in PvP move down to one of the three cities in the Khurite Forest. My reasoning behind picking the Khurite forest is due to its short routes and constant choke points between the three cities. If we manage to pull this off, you'll likely have difficulty riding between any of the cities without running into some sort of interesting/dangerous encounter.

I strongly urge everyone to put Persistent State politics and strategic living arrangements aside for the time being and offer your groups/guilds a reason to enjoy the game again.

Three tightly woven cities with loads of choke points and interesting terrain to fight on, all within a 10-15 minute ride of one another.

Thanks for reading. I hope at least a few groups consider participating in this temporary content drought solution. I think it could end up being an absolute blast and will tide us over until more crucial content is introduced to the game.

Looking forward to getting stomped and donating my gear!
I will quote myself from some unrelated conversations I have had lately. The game state right now is the primary concern for lack of players, for sure, said well Pat. However there are deeper issues revolving around how guilds act in general.

Below are two quotes on the topic of player and guild interaction:

"I do have strong opinions because, as you may know, the first game suffered the same way this game seems to be. People being too hostile, too aggressive, too presumptuous, breeding chaos.

Right now there is a massive lack of content, and I am aware that that fact may be greatly influencing what I am seeing. So this conversation and my stance may not have nearly as much weight in the future.

The first game ran itself in a circle, and then into the ground. Because guilds killed everything that moved if they didn't know them personally. It was either "KOS or a spy" all the time, all over the map. Anyone who wasnt part of one of the core groups that slowly built via guild relations and merges, ended up HAVING to join a side, or quitting. It also gave literally zero room for any PvE players or solo players to leave a town. Of course, other factors were at play, such as general game state and bugs.

THe threat of death is fun, and I am no way an advocate for safe zones, but if the game and the people in it remain so hostile, the same cycle will occur. The game will die.

If we slow down and look at the way we do things, so long as enough people make an effort, we can affect the community (whether that be by changing minds of vets, giving opportunity to new players, or enabling solo players). We can create a content loop that that is fuelled by interaction, integrity, and politics. Instead of assumption based killing, KOS, and lack of empathy - this path only goes one way. It is just a matter of time."

and:

"It isnt even about the RP of it - talk in plain english if you gotta, don't be elaborate. It's simple - just don't murder everything you see. Talk to people, use logic. KOS, Death by Association, such things are excuses to just slaughter more as an "ANTI RPK" guild. If you don't put any real thought or consideration into the choices you make, your company will decay into what all the 'villains' are, you taint the game and the name of 'ANTI RPK' - and you eventually, kill, the game."

Players need to want to log in. What always happens is that a guild plays hard, kills everything and everyone they see (or ally with), get geared and don't need to farm for a long time, then have nothing to do. They don't need to farm, they just want to kill people, and eventually no one logs in unless a ping comes along saying "omg pvp at X location".

We need a content loop, fuelled by the players. Talk to people. Use political, regional, personal reasons. Give dialogue a chance. Build relationships and reputation. Allow small disputes between players or solo's to occur. Be honorable. So on and so forth. Without that little bit of effort and intention, the game will very likely run itself into the ground again. Due to how guilds act and play.

Anyway -

I like your idea, Pat. It's a nice initiative, just a little empty on the reasoning for me. I totally understand the concept and what it accomplishes though. I hope it works out and everyone has fun.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I personally like the big world, Not everyone does. I think it will work with the number of cities there are. I see Several guilds picking towns and then having back and forth there. Right now we run from Fab to Meduli to fight like almost everyday. Its a 10 min run in ghost mode and not really a issue to get around the map for us. We went from Fab to GK to Fab to Meduli and had some good fights that day. Does take a bit of time.

I know there is drought for a lot of people but we find fights almost daily, it just requires ghost mode and 10-30 mins of running. When PvE content comes in you will be able to find PvE out in the world in between towns. Right now their is usually people at certain resource spots that competition would breed PvP. It will only make it easier once they add those Mobs into the game.

It does need some quality of life fixes to make it more bearable to travel between places. Like pathing on roads from one town to the next. Not autopathing but a way just to keep on the road as you run.

Last edited:

Glitch

Mar 27, 2021
I personally like the big world, Not everyone does. I think it will work with the number of cities there are. I see Several guilds picking towns and then having back and forth there. Right now we run from Fab to Meduli to fight like almost everyday. Its a 10 min run in ghost mode and not really a issue to get around the map for us. We went from Fab to GK to Fab to Meduli and had some good fights that day. Does take a bit of time.

I know there is drought for a lot of people but we find fights almost daily, it just requires ghost mode and 10-30 mins of running. When PvE content comes in you will be able to find PvE out in the world in between towns. Right now their is usually people at certain resource spots that competition would breed PvP. It will only make it easier once they add those Mobs into the game.

It does need some quality of life fixes to make it more bearable to travel between places. Like pathing on roads from one town to the next. Not autopathing but a way just to keep on the road as you run.

I'm with you on this. Yes, I understand the size of the world may affect the PvP but that's only because the population is small right now. Considering everything else though.... I think a big map is something that shows potential for people that also want to try other things besides PvP. Call me a dork and I'm primarily a PvPer (even though I suck balls at it for the most part) but I just like that the world is big and feels like an actual world. Also, considering that SV still hasn't implemented the surprises they won't implement all the way until persistence.

Weathermore

Apr 5, 2021
The khurite towns have no content surrounding them. No one is going to play there. Not now, not at launch, unless changes are made.