Band-aids

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
as requested by seb, a discussion on how bandages should work

personally I really liked how bandaids worked in WoW. a powerful heal that was channelled and had a long-ish cooldown.

so with max anatomy and the best bandaids, they would heal for half to maybe 2/3 of your max hp over 10 seconds, ticking each second. any damage taken or movement done during that time would interrupt the bandaid (including dot ticks from corruption or poison). afterwards, it would go on cooldown for a couple minutes before you could attempt it again.

being able to break away from the fight for even just a couple ticks of the bandaid would be useful and makes opportunities for the opponent to stop your healing by perhaps overextending or switching to a ranged weapon etc.

perhaps not everyone would have max anatomy so being able to bandage other players would be cool as well. you'd have to stand still channelling while the person you bandage has to stay within range of you and neither of you take any damage for the bandage to complete.

if you want healing on-the-go then potions are the obvious other option

-barcode

Reactions: bubbles and Kuroi

bubbles

Jul 1, 2020
I like this a lot, but please make the healing not tick for the first few seconds. It would be lame to hit someone and they pop a bandage before the next hit to heal like 20 hp like it happens in wow. Everything else looks ok

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
That sounds a lot like the current resting method with ca. 5 HP/tick every 3-4 seconds. The question is how does this fit in with resting and sleeping.

The old bandage system (use, random healing based on your anatomy skill, penalized by damage taken during waiting time) allowed for movement while healing. Potions were faster but obviously extremly expensive compared to vendor bandages. Magic was limited since you had to stand still for the pre-casting and for gr. heals by mana.

It might help to think about this in different tiers.

1. tier would be slow healing without being able to move.
2. tier fast healing without being able to move
3. tier slow healing while moving
4. fast healing while moving

Ideally I think this would translate like this:

1. Resting
2. bandage
3. healing over time potion
4. potion/magic

This would increase the need for potions and magic when kiting heavily. Making it less viabel. You could also just remove bandaging and use potions exclusively.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
hrmn, this is true, players need as many weapons as they can get when fighting the zerg, and being able to kite effectively is surely one of them.

perhaps allow for a different category of bandages that can be applied immediately and provide healing over time, like a poultice. they wouldnt heal as much as a bandage but would be applied instantly like the current bandaids with no channelling required. When the 10 seconds is up it starts to heal over time for the next 30 seconds or so, reducing in effectiveness each time you get hit. They should also trigger the same bandage cooldown so you cant poultice then bandaid or vice versa.

-barcode

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
Hate to sound like a broken record but please make bandages craftable this time.

That and allow us to combine different herbs and such to make ointments you can put on the basic cotton bandage to get better/different results.

The basic bandage should be very easy for new players to gather mats for, create and sell.

While the crafted ointments should require more knowledge and experience to produce and sell.

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
I'd be on board with changing them to an interruptible channel while "applying" the bandage. Moving while doing so drags it out longer but is still possible so kiting is still effective, but you actually need to create the distance needed to get off the whole duration heal from it, so skill plays a part. Would like it to be an animation so it's clear from the opponents prospective that you're applying a bandage, gives a brief window to try to interrupt etc. Length of time it takes for the different channels and amount of healing and cooldown I don't have an opinion on, short enough to useful, long enough to not be a spam-able thing.

I'd also suggest as an idea to kick around that maybe change healing pots this time around so they are primarily a heal over time benefit would be a good change. Taking someone down to the redline just to have them pop a big potion and instantly go back to full is kinda lame imo. Plus with the way things have changed making it generally easier for most people to parry attacks, I think limiting burst healing as much as possible would be a beneficial goal to have for the new game. Extending the Time-To-Kill in my opinion favors zergs and low skill gameplay making your mistakes matter less. If you need to create space and avoid damage to heal yourself, I think that favors skillful play more.

I only mention the potion suggestion because I think it ties in with the mechanics of healing and with the bandage question at hand. I think a good goal for the healing in the game would be to limit burst healing in general, and hand that unique benefit to mages.

Then we'd have

Sleeping/Resting-long duration, no items required, not suitable for combat
Bandages- med to short duration, needs cheap craftable item, can use in a combat situation but to get full benefits need a little time and "space" to use
HoT Potions- can use instantly, but healing comes in over time, more rare craftable item, used in combat but won't give you a "2nd health bar" instantly
Healing spells- only real burst heal, requires a mage.

Reactions: Jhackman

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I think maybe it could be the opposite, where bandages heal over time and pots do the instant heal.

But possibly with the addition of pots having an opposite effect over time. Like a drug that quickly brings them up but they crash over time.

Then pots could temporarily heal them up fast but they would have to utilize it quickly or find themselves worse off than before the pot.

Also, taking too many pots over a short amount of time could even lead to overdose and death from the accumulated effects of crashes.