Armor weight from shields poll

Chose which you agree with most, if other post in comments.

• Do not add armor weight from any shields

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Add armor weight from any shields

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • Only add armor weight from tower shields

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Only add armor weight from non tower shields

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Remove stam penalties from shields if they add armor weight

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Results

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters

Tzone

May 16, 2021
So my vote is that instead of hurting the mage shield meta to fix what most players think is going to be OP tower shields. Instead only have tower shields add the armor weight.

You balance tower shields with out making already weak in FF round shields obsolete.

If you do add the weight of all shields to the armor weight then at least remove its stamina penalty. Or have tower shields add to the armor weight but with no stam penalty while round shields don't add to weight but have the stamina penalty.

Shields will only really be viable on ogmirs if you have the weight add to the armor weight.

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
I'm all for armor weight for shields. It's "realistic", and imo it's stupid to see mages running around with shields on their backs anyway. If it's meta and is needed to make mages viable, fix it.

Reactions: Nefnate

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
1/2 wt in hand full wt on back? :D I'm so tired of all the memes in this game, bunny hopping magi with shields on their back. I'm sorry, but that shit kills me. It kills me almost as much as the spin shit, which, I dunno if it's large drop off of pop or what, but doesn't seem to happen as much.

I don't want to make anyone's build non-viable, and I would prefer there to be more sensible suggestions or ways to make shit work. Like an armor w/ a stronger back would be cool w/ me, but even tho yea... it's a shield on your back, it would block stuff, it's not calc'd at all.

Otoh that dude I was hitting w/ a worn short (fukme) thinking I was attacking him like NO DMG had a beasty shield. Perhaps shield use parented by armor training, that would cut the wt, but still keep it 1/2 hand full back. Allow shields to be used by fighters (if they ever make 1h shit that isn't pokies decent; it's a wild style but the range on most of them is trash even tho it's pretty hard to miss,) but not so much by any mage hoping not to die in that moment.

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
Both remove stam penalty and make additional weight from shields not affect mana regen.

Reactions: Midas

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Both remove stam penalty and make additional weight from shields not affect mana regen.

No sensible reason to do this, haha, but it would be a trade off I'd take. It's not really logical. I'd do it, if we were doing balance trades.

Def seems more reasonable and immersive tho. Still wood shields beh. The whole shield on the back thing, man lol...

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
No sensible reason to do this
Taking shields from mages would be another slap in the face of every mage player. And i don't think SV will compensate for it, at least not anytime soon. They'll probably implement the change and then respond to all complaints with "yes we know we f###d the balance but no worries, we have AMAZING stuff planned that will more than compensate the loss of shields for mages, defensive spells and all, it's coming shortly after boats". Just like they (at least Robmo, Henrik just ignores all question regarding reflect) respond complaints about reflect, like oh, no reflect will not be reverted, but someday in the future it may be reworked. Just knowing how SV works.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I mean logically it makes no sense why it would not affect you in some manner if armor weight affects you. I support the change, though. I really do hate the shield on the back, and I do think SV needs to balance stuff. TBH cheezy or hotfix level solutions are not my preferable solution, cuz I wouldn't run it on my mage even at a disadvantage (lol if I had one...) SO YOU SHOULD BE DISADVANTAGED, TOO!!

Nah, I mean, it's the meta, so you guys do u. It just looks derpy and I really think SV should try to make their game feel as real as possible so you can immerse yourself beyond the BS. At least a fight should be immersive but when you see someone hopping around w/ moon gravity, spinnin with a shield on their back, it's like heh.

lulul, maybe make it so it affects jump height tho?? :D You can jump w/ your wep out but not with a shield on your back. bwehehe.

Esproc

Jan 21, 2022
Meduli
I vote to Add armor weight to all shields.
But, if they do then make the base mana regen 100% at 4kg.
The current shields will still be useable or mages might shift to slightly better armors.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I vote to Add armor weight to all shields.
But, if they do then make the base mana regen 100% at 4kg.
The current shields will still be useable or mages might shift to slightly better armors.

Welcome to the forum; you're already famous (in one of my vids!)

Hope to hear more fromya. Fuck discord.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Not a lot of people already dont play mage and seems like people to nerf shields even more to dumb down their playstyle from being able to stick in there a little longer.

With out shields mages will just be perma kiting and that wont be fun gameplay for either side.

Shields add more gameplay to mages and allow player skill to go farther. Like most of the good PvP guilds are on the same page with shields and mages being good gameplay.

orbital

Apr 22, 2021
Mages shouldnt really have the ability to kite as well as turtle up. if anything all shields having armor weight will make more diversity of builds instead of every mage being sheevra with a shield.. there will probably be more human mages that can finally utilize their clades

D

Deleted member 44

Henrik says he intends to add the shield weight to the players armor weight value. I do not like this change, and I will explain why.

Since MO1, a foot mage needs to have maneuverability and speed or else they will die. In the first game, mages were much faster than most foot fighters and could kite around to avoid most damage if they were a skilled player. In MO1, if a mage had a shield equipped, but sheathed it would not be displayed as an object on their back and the only real benefit they had was being faster than most. The stand still to cast mechanic worked in MO1 as they could still get away from a fighter if they played well.

Moving on to MO2, mages do not have the same maneuverability and kiting tools that they did in the first game, but now they have a shield in which they can place on their backs to soak up some damage as they run away. For the most part, this was a welcome change by the community. It boosted some survivability to mages while adding functionality to shield usage. Shields are pretty important to mages in the current game state as a mage cannot create distance away from an aggressor like they could in the first game. The cast and then move system in MO2 is a lot more dangerous for mages than it was in the first game.

What this change will do to mages:
- Require an increase in primary points (armor training).
- Lower their mana regeneration.
- Lower their stamina regeneration.
- Increase risk of death if a shield is not used.

What this change will do to fighters:
- Require an increase in primary points (armor training).
Most fighters already have armor training and heavy armory training max, meaning that they have no spare points to spare for more armor weight. The shields will simply not be used by most fighters as they physically cannot use one. Shields are not used currently by most fighters as it takes more stamina to attack and block with a shield equipped. Additionally, shields change the swing animations of weapons making the attacks more predictable, another thing that no fighter wants. There will be almost no reason to use a shield as a fighter if this change goes live.
- Lower their mana regeneration.
- Lower their stamina regeneration.

What this will do to crafting:
- Advanced dendrology will be useless. (High mass shields are bad now)

Reactions: Tzone

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
I'm all for armor weight for shields. It's "realistic", and imo it's stupid to see mages running around with shields on their backs anyway. If it's meta and is needed to make mages viable, fix it.
Ya in MO1 mages didn't need shields because they actually had a mobility advantage.

Gulith

Apr 5, 2021
So my vote is that instead of hurting the mage shield meta to fix what most players think is going to be OP tower shields. Instead only have tower shields add the armor weight.

You balance tower shields with out making already weak in FF round shields obsolete.

If you do add the weight of all shields to the armor weight then at least remove its stamina penalty. Or have tower shields add to the armor weight but with no stam penalty while round shields don't add to weight but have the stamina penalty.

Shields will only really be viable on ogmirs if you have the weight add to the armor weight.
Henrik specifically said they won't nerf what's in game right now, your 2kg round shield won't add weight to your mage, only bigger shields will.
and they might rework shields ' wieght by making it all lighter .... we'll see.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Henrik specifically said they won't nerf what's in game right now, your 2kg round shield won't add weight to your mage, only bigger shields will.
and they might rework shields ' wieght by making it all lighter .... we'll see.
That would be very nice. I hope you are right. But Henrik says a lot of things and sometimes makes decisions and design choice changes on the stream.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Ya in MO1 mages didn't need shields because they actually had a mobility advantage.

Maybe the team meta is wrong. The game is just really in a bad state balance wise, imo. Something will be created, like the current MO economy, but that doesn't mean it's functioning optimally.

Veela fighters being able to dive hard without being punished is its own problem. But how to punish them, can get hits, maybe parried, and then you prol won't get a second one unless you are also a veela. I dunno if mage mobility is the problem as much as midline mobility, but I dunno... WE ALL KNOW my brain is wired differently.

I think veela and sheev should be able to disengage and kite well, but they are too stupid atm. Like I said, all armor being good, it's hard to see how you'd stop one unless you banged them twice w/ high dmg fighters and nuked them with 2 mages basically lol. That might make them peel off. But, beyond that, I dunno...

I love the mobility play style. I wish strafing was more what elf did instead of sheer movement (like improve their combat move, slightly decrease the full run,) so you could outplay but you couldn't just drift away all of the time.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
Maybe the team meta is wrong. The game is just really in a bad state balance wise, imo. Something will be created, like the current MO economy, but that doesn't mean it's functioning optimally.

Veela fighters being able to dive hard without being punished is its own problem. But how to punish them, can get hits, maybe parried, and then you prol won't get a second one unless you are also a veela. I dunno if mage mobility is the problem as much as midline mobility, but I dunno... WE ALL KNOW my brain is wired differently.

I think veela and sheev should be able to disengage and kite well, but they are too stupid atm. Like I said, all armor being good, it's hard to see how you'd stop one unless you banged them twice w/ high dmg fighters and nuked them with 2 mages basically lol. That might make them peel off. But, beyond that, I dunno...

I love the mobility play style. I wish strafing was more what elf did instead of sheer movement (like improve their combat move, slightly decrease the full run,) so you could outplay but you couldn't just drift away all of the time.
Veela fighters being able to dive hard without being punished is a player skill issue though. They sacrifice a lot for the ability to do that. And a good group knows how to punish a Veela doing that if they have the opportunity.

Idk man. I haven't played in months, but I'm pretty sure nothing has changed since then regarding speed and races. If we are talking very small scale, then Veelas are naturally the best because good players use their personal skill to make up for the veelas shortcomings such as HP, Stam, and damage bonus.

There is always gonna be a meta race for certain scenarios. You can nerf veelas of you want, but you'll just replace them with something new. If you're just wanting something new for the sake of it being new, then fine.

In my opinion...as long as their is a clade that has a speed advantage...its going to be preferred by the better players in the game in a small scale scenario.

Having said that, everyone feels slow in the bigass empty open world.