An ignore command for in-game talk

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
Some guys are walking jukeboxes, some guys either don't understand volume control panel in windows or are eating their microphone, some, esp. the twitch.tv guys, are just intentionally obnoxious for attention (Howard Stern you aint, dude). It would be nice to get a little control over, basically audio spam. Perhaps a chat command like /talkignore username. While I think we need a volume slider for in-game talk (a different thread) I also think we need more granularity in terms of selective control for audio spammers that doesn't involve quieting/silencing everyone. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020
Some guys are walking jukeboxes, some guys either don't understand volume control panel in windows or are eating their microphone, some, esp. the twitch.tv guys, are just intentionally obnoxious for attention (Howard Stern you aint, dude). It would be nice to get a little control over, basically audio spam. Perhaps a chat command like /talkignore username. While I think we need a volume slider for in-game talk (a different thread) I also think we need more granularity in terms of selective control for audio spammers that doesn't involve quieting/silencing everyone. Thoughts?
I really like VOIP system but I think there should be option for ignoring selected player.
If it is technically possible there could be limiter/compressor set up for VOIP audio channel.

Bloodterst

Dec 1, 2020
Yes! /command, or some hotkey ->target player for mute would be nice.
Someone suggested a vicinity list thing for mute which is awful since u can use that to see whos near you.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
they just need to add the mo1 mute system where you could target the guy, right clic on his health bar, and mute him ... its definitly needed

i like the planetside 2 system where you target him > hold a button > drop down menu appears where you select the tab with your mouse > mouse and menu disappears after click or if you let go the hold button

20201205061502_1.jpg

Reactions: Bloodterst

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
It's called a radial menu. :p
Currently switching between mouse modes etc. is just annoyingly bad in MO2 though.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
There should be a window that you can open that shows all voices you can hear in game. Shouldn't display their name. You dont need to know it. Then from that menu you can mute the person that you don't want to hear and even report if the person is saying things that breaks the rules/ToS.

Reactions: Bernfred

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
There should be a window that you can open that shows all voices you can hear in game. Shouldn't display their name. You dont need to know it. Then from that menu you can mute the person that you don't want to hear and even report if the person is saying things that breaks the rules/ToS.

While I understand your stance this will add more clutter to the the UI and it breaks a form of immersion. People want to try and argue that shadows having an option being disabled someone provide a competitive advantage even though they back it up with no real proof that cements this idea.

VOIP is one of the special things that has happened to MO. In MO1 you looked at someone to mute them (you only needed to have them as a target.) As odd as it sounds if you want to find who is talking or doing something you should have to find them, this isn't some lobby game where a giant box pops up to show each individual talking. I don't want that on my screen, sounds super annoying.

Another thing is VOIP can be turned off entirely and while people will argue that it can only be used for 'polite chatter' I plan to use it to talk shit to people I kill. First person, talking to my enemy as I kill them; it doesn't get any better.

I also feel like people would spam more reports over little things and it would get abused pretty quickly as well.

TL:DR - Add a target mute like MO1, and if you're worried about someone hurting your feelings you can disable voip. Just my 2 cents.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
While I understand your stance this will add more clutter to the the UI and it breaks a form of immersion. People want to try and argue that shadows having an option being disabled someone provide a competitive advantage even though they back it up with no real proof that cements this idea.

VOIP is one of the special things that has happened to MO. In MO1 you looked at someone to mute them (you only needed to have them as a target.) As odd as it sounds if you want to find who is talking or doing something you should have to find them, this isn't some lobby game where a giant box pops up to show each individual talking. I don't want that on my screen, sounds super annoying.

Another thing is VOIP can be turned off entirely and while people will argue that it can only be used for 'polite chatter' I plan to use it to talk shit to people I kill. First person, talking to my enemy as I kill them; it doesn't get any better.

I also feel like people would spam more reports over little things and it would get abused pretty quickly as well.

TL:DR - Add a target mute like MO1, and if you're worried about someone hurting your feelings you can disable voip. Just my 2 cents.

Just saw the part where you said you open it, thats not too bad actually. Sorry, super tired. Still think people would spam reports more though using it.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
that makes sense if you cant find the VOIP griefer but dont want to disable it completely.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Just saw the part where you said you open it, thats not too bad actually. Sorry, super tired. Still think people would spam reports more though using it.
No worries.

Being able to mute through target is also practical. But the real problem comes when there is someone in a big group of people or someone out of sight that is spamming.

Just imagine being at the bank and someone is blasting loud noise over voip or spamming edgy things.
Or being in your house and a bunch of people show up and just blasting shit through sound. Needs to be a easy way to block them without having to go face to face with them.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
No worries.

Being able to mute through target is also practical. But the real problem comes when there is someone in a big group of people or someone out of sight that is spamming.

Just imagine being at the bank and someone is blasting loud noise over voip or spamming edgy things.
Or being in your house and a bunch of people show up and just blasting shit through sound. Needs to be a easy way to block them without having to go face to face with them.
I would be one of those people honestly.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Well its fun and I respect peoples right to do it. But there should obviously be a quick and easy way to make it stop :p
That way it won't need direct moderation from anyone but yourself, to a point.

Ask

Jun 10, 2020
Had to listen to someone's washing machine the other day. Mute for individual players should of been a thing when they added VOIP in the first place.