Alternate Stabbing

D

Dracu

Hey everyone as everybody knows stabbing weapons are mostly just usefull for stabbing and not really for slashing.
This makes stabbing weapons pretty easy to counter aswell as not really leaving room to the stab weapon user to do anything besides spamming.

I would like to suggest to have an alternate attack mode where all attacks are stabs but from different directions that have to be parried by their appropriate sides.

For Example overhead strike becomes overhead stab that has to be blocked like regular attacks.

Since stabbing is rather quick, the overhead and side stabs need to be widely telegraphed for defenders to get the same chance to block as other weapons.

I think this would be a good addition to spears and stabbing weapons that will make those weapons more used outside of group fights aswell as giving them an alternative to just spamming.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
In my opinion this would break somehow the balance.

Those piercing weapons are supposed to do high dps in one direction. And only in that one direction. That's their main drawback.
If you would now add high damage attacks to the additional directions it would remove that drawback.

Besides there have always been piercing weapons you could choose, that also provide decent slashing damage, but have a bit less piercing than the full DPS weapons.

D

Dracu

In my opinion this would break somehow the balance.

Those piercing weapons are supposed to do high dps in one direction. And only in that one direction. That's their main drawback.
If you would now add high damage attacks to the additional directions it would remove that drawback.

Besides there have always been piercing weapons you could choose, that also provide decent slashing damage, but have a bit less piercing than the full DPS weapons.
i get your point and agree, they have one strong direction and the others are weaker. But slashing with spears is pretty much jsut a super weak handle hit, making this weapon a one trick pony and removing it from enything besides teamfights where they can shine.

I am for giving them the potential to become a good weapon in duells, not the strongest just a good choice.
The alternate attakcs could and should do less damage then the primary stab i cant imagine that beeing hard to implement

Rhias

May 28, 2020
The alternate attakcs could and should do less damage then the primary stab i cant imagine that beeing hard to implement
To "solve" this you could as well give spears more slashing damage...
In that case your change would be more for aestetic reasons.

D

Dracu

To "solve" this you could as well give spears more slashing damage...
In that case your change would be more for aestetic reasons.
pretty much, i doubt somebody would swing a spear from overhead instead of stabbing with it.
We now have 4 attack directions with every weapons,
swords have 4
clubs have 3
1h swords (even the stabbing ones) 3
spears will probably only have 1 if it follows current system.

they should atleast have 2 viable options else those weapons will be just meh.
Maybe keep the swings in but make ovverhead stabbing so the weapon gets a second good attack direction.
Its still easy to block just two directions but atleast gives options for better feinting and usage.

PatWins

May 28, 2020
This one may be dangerous. Would likely need a ton of tweaking for it to feel balanced. I like the idea! Guess it all comes down to how much development time it would take and how difficult it would be to remove it if shit hit the fan. However, the idea of an overhead stabbing animation sounds pretty cool. Like a spartan stabbing over a shield. This could work well with how you say the animations for alternate swings would be telegraphed. Imagine your character stepping left/right and angling the stab in that direction or having to jump and reach for an overhead stab.

I'm not opposed to certain weapons having specific uses though. Makes the game more interesting when you feel the urge to weapon swap for different scenarios. It's sounding like we might have enough skill points to use a variety of weapons.

Keep the ideas coming! :)

D

Dracu

This one may be dangerous. Would likely need a ton of tweaking for it to feel balanced. I like the idea! Guess it all comes down to how much development time it would take and how difficult it would be to remove it if shit hit the fan. However, the idea of an overhead stabbing animation sounds pretty cool. Like a spartan stabbing over a shield. This could work well with how you say the animations for alternate swings would be telegraphed. Imagine your character stepping left/right and angling the stab in that direction or having to jump and reach for an overhead stab.

I'm not opposed to certain weapons having specific uses though. Makes the game more interesting when you feel the urge to weapon swap for different scenarios. It's sounding like we might have enough skill points to use a variety of weapons.

Keep the ideas coming! :)
just imagine you have a big ass long spear with a deadly sharp blade and you want to stab high.... nope rather make a big swing with the wooden handle and do no damage... most games that have spears nowadays make those kind of attacks overhead stabs. Swings okay let them be handle hits.
But having atleast 2 viable attacks instead of 1 is not to much to ask for for a weapon that was pretty much the most used weapon in history.

Reactions: PatWins

PatWins

May 28, 2020
just imagine you have a big ass long spear with a deadly sharp blade and you want to stab high.... nope rather make a big swing with the wooden handle and do no damage... most games that have spears nowadays make those kind of attacks overhead stabs. Swings okay let them be handle hits.
But having atleast 2 viable attacks instead of 1 is not to much to ask for for a weapon that was pretty much the most used weapon in history.
Yeah I think you may be right here. With 4 directions now instead of 3 spears are going to need a least one additional damage option. Especially with handle hit damage reduction.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
I think it would be fine with 2 directions, normal stab and overhead, like in Bannerlord. Stabbing from 4 directions would be weird tho

Reactions: Dracu and PatWins

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
what would overhead spear be? would it require a different grip, like a javalin?

-barcode

D

Dracu

I think it would be fine with 2 directions, normal stab and overhead, like in Bannerlord. Stabbing from 4 directions would be weird tho
I agree 4 sides would be to much but 2 directions sounds fine i would be happy with that

Hayasa

Aug 26, 2020
Wait, stabbing is still only one direction? They didn't do a lower and upper stab to modernize directional attacking?

D

Dracu

Wait, stabbing is still only one direction? They didn't do a lower and upper stab to modernize directional attacking?
Atm we have only one weapon that is somewhat a designated stabbing weapon, the rapier which is just a stab sword.

Spears are supposed to come with next patch so we will see if they thought of that or just use the regular swinging we have on every weapon atm.

Anachroniser

Aug 9, 2020
I do like the idea and always wondered in MO1 why stabbing weapons were limited to one direction. I always thought having spears work in MO like they did in chivalry MW would be cool.

Reactions: PatWins

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
I think the spear would be completely fine with straight and overhead stabs as they would be easy to animate to look different. With change from mo1 to mo2 also being slashing damage of left and right swings being much higher than the previous game but (still) suffering from being every easy to handle hit when targets get too close and unable to weakspot(if that will still be a thing). Stabbing will be preferable when you want to do damage but swinging your spear would be something that you end up doing in a face to face situation, not primarily but to push damage through in our extremely limited combat system we have right now. This also makes the spear, still a piercing damage focused weapon but does make it much more flexible in using different damage types(very important if PVE "armor"/Resists will be anything like in Mo1).

Hopefully we will get some more depth to how blocking works so that blocking in general becomes more difficult(while not making it impossible for our neighborhood high pingers) and the game breaks away from the whole Attack > Block > Counter loop that fighting is and have been since the beginning of mortal 1.

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
pretty much, i doubt somebody would swing a spear from overhead instead of stabbing with it.
We now have 4 attack directions with every weapons,
swords have 4
clubs have 3
1h swords (even the stabbing ones) 3
spears will probably only have 1 if it follows current system.

they should atleast have 2 viable options else those weapons will be just meh.
Maybe keep the swings in but make ovverhead stabbing so the weapon gets a second good attack direction.
Its still easy to block just two directions but atleast gives options for better feinting and usage.
That's why i been suggesting multi hit abilities like double hit and triple hit be used by more then just fist and daggers. I also want combo strikes to be a thing in game. I can hit low and then high hit and you have to parry each hit. (Removing that Rediculous stun duration that occurs when you are parried) Imagine the scope of the gameplay with these changes. I'm cool with them making counter hits after parry be x2 stronger. Just as long as i can try attacking through their guard and parries at different attack angles. Triple hit blocked? Parried? Okay i got 2 more stabs coming baby cakes. Now let's test those feety wheaties time to stab those toes stab.... I get blocked or parried... Okay here comes a head stab lol. Give us like a second after a swing or stab where our next strike has a small timing window to do another hit or something.

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
I think the spear would be completely fine with straight and overhead stabs as they would be easy to animate to look different. With change from mo1 to mo2 also being slashing damage of left and right swings being much higher than the previous game but (still) suffering from being every easy to handle hit when targets get too close and unable to weakspot(if that will still be a thing). Stabbing will be preferable when you want to do damage but swinging your spear would be something that you end up doing in a face to face situation, not primarily but to push damage through in our extremely limited combat system we have right now. This also makes the spear, still a piercing damage focused weapon but does make it much more flexible in using different damage types(very important if PVE "armor"/Resists will be anything like in Mo1).

Hopefully we will get some more depth to how blocking works so that blocking in general becomes more difficult(while not making it impossible for our neighborhood high pingers) and the game breaks away from the whole Attack > Block > Counter loop that fighting is and have been since the beginning of mortal 1.
Attack> block> counter... Yeah exactly lol. I think the gameplay needs more to it. Like triple stab/ triple slash. For more then just fist and daggers. Make every hit have to be parried so the attacker can't be stopped dead in tracks by the first parry. Let me do combos like i hit low near your feet an you block or parry but my swing can come again and aim high with another hit. Let the parry stop me but not stun me a half second to take a free counter hit where my only option is fighting with polesword so i have the distance to run from parry after. Make it so the defender can Shield bash. Let it do damage an knock me back a bit. This is much cleaner gameplay then me swing, you parry and now you counterswing and i lose.