About crafting system

Ibarruri

May 28, 2020
Meduli
After a somewhat busy month of travel in real life, I logged back in and was able to enjoy the news of the MO2.
Everything is still going on and it seems that it looks very good and promising.

Now that we have been given the first tools to start testing the crafting system, I got to work at GK and it was honestly exciting crafting my first weapons after so long and doing my job as a craftsman.
However, the crafting of the weapons left me some doubts that I want to share.

I've been crafting all kinds of weapons and materials. I am trying to make my first list of weapons, with weights, type of materials, etc. I want to be careful analyzing the type of weapons, materials, etc, carefully analyzing every detail.
I must say that I found the crafting screen presentation attractive and interesting.
But at the same time a doubt assailed me. Will this crafting system allow you to design "unique" weapons that allow you to leave your mark as a craftsman?
I mean, is there a new option that allows an experienced craftsman to create legendary weapons? Or unique and special weapons?
I have always believed that this would be important, as it gives the art of weapon making meaning. The system as such seems to be like that of MO1, which was undoubtedly profound. There were many materials, different metals, with their respective weights, advantages and disadvantages etc.
But I always felt that something was missing that would allow you to create your own unique and special weapons, different from any other crafter.
It is only my first opinion (or suggestion) since this is one of the areas that most like and interest in the game, as a businessman and gunsmith.

What do you think about these first steps of the crafting system?

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
I like where you are going with this. The one thing that everyone (players, reviewers etc.) liked about Mortal 1 was the crafting. As we all know it had it´s share of problems, but it did pull people back in. Whenever a change was annouced you would have crafters flooding back into the game to experiment. We had players that played for years and did nothing but craft and experiment. They were pillars of the community providing knowledge for everyone.

Many just followed the blueprints provided by such crafters, without every diving very deeply into the mechanics. This was fine and worked because everyone had multiple characters and thus was expected to craft themselves. Yet if you wanted to deep dive into the complex mechanics you could do that as well.

I hope that SV realizes what they had. If the crafting system does not provide the depth it had no one will want to sink time into exploring it. The problem who only crafted out of necessity will still not like the system and won´t appreciate what is left.

I think where they improve is the ability to name weapon only at 100 skill. This will give someone who is dedicated to a craft the ability to market their weapons on an individual level. The legendary skin is a nice bonus on top of that. Although I hope that those will be truly rare so it will be something you remark upon when seeing it.

Providing options, things to tweak and the ability to personalize should be the key to crafting in Mortal Online 2 in my opinion. Basically doing what Mortal did well, and doubling down on it. I don´t think making the crafting more simple will help the game as the players who like to craft will be turned away, and the one that don´t will not fall in love with it either.

Having different professions with depth is the only way to create a functioning player economy.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
I think I spent almost as much time crafting as I did anything else in MO1. Seeing as I was for the most part armor, weapon and bow crafter for our guild. Sure we had others, but most of the other ones had more interests in the material refining side of things, while I spent most of my time testing and documenting the results. For a big part of the 13 and friends vs TA war I was crafting for multiple guilds. It was about at that point I started creating fake metas to pass the time and because of a sadistic yearning of watching people uninitiated in crafting wear pink. Remember crepite armor anyone? :)

Weapon crafting system seems almost a copy paste of mo1, material impact on weapon-wise I mean. Which is honestly fine, there is always the room for them adding more materials as well as changing some coefficients on some materials that don't have a single real use.

I like that only durability takes a hit at mid skill level. This makes for more theory crafting of cramming as many skills onto a character as possible while not gimping your skills too much to cause issues when you are crafting something you don't want to specialize and do the occasional legendary with.

I still think there should be more to weapon, shield and armor crafting to really make use of some of the more obscure materials that really saw no use. Gold and silver on shields or armor maybe could give magic resists? Obviously at the cost of being annoying materials to grind(if mo1 is any pointer to refining amounts) with worse other stats and weights to the more optimal physical resist armor.

Heck for weapon crafting, why can't we get some silver deals bonus damage against undead stuff going and things of that nature. That way you could make some weapons that would be pretty terrible to use against people ALA The Witcher, but work splendidly against monsters and beasts that are weak to the materials.

Ibarruri

May 28, 2020
Meduli
I think I spent almost as much time crafting as I did anything else in MO1. Seeing as I was for the most part armor, weapon and bow crafter for our guild. Sure we had others, but most of the other ones had more interests in the material refining side of things, while I spent most of my time testing and documenting the results. For a big part of the 13 and friends vs TA war I was crafting for multiple guilds. It was about at that point I started creating fake metas to pass the time and because of a sadistic yearning of watching people uninitiated in crafting wear pink. Remember crepite armor anyone? :)

Weapon crafting system seems almost a copy paste of mo1, material impact on weapon-wise I mean. Which is honestly fine, there is always the room for them adding more materials as well as changing some coefficients on some materials that don't have a single real use.

I like that only durability takes a hit at mid skill level. This makes for more theory crafting of cramming as many skills onto a character as possible while not gimping your skills too much to cause issues when you are crafting something you don't want to specialize and do the occasional legendary with.

I still think there should be more to weapon, shield and armor crafting to really make use of some of the more obscure materials that really saw no use. Gold and silver on shields or armor maybe could give magic resists? Obviously at the cost of being annoying materials to grind(if mo1 is any pointer to refining amounts) with worse other stats and weights to the more optimal physical resist armor.

Heck for weapon crafting, why can't we get some silver deals bonus damage against undead stuff going and things of that nature. That way you could make some weapons that would be pretty terrible to use against people ALA The Witcher, but work splendidly against monsters and beasts that are weak to the materials.

Personally, I have never been clear about the meaning of gold and silver in MO1.
Being two metals the same as those used to make coins, in my opinion, they should be able to be mined to be processed and converted into currency, but Starvault goes in another direction.
On the other hand, I think that the crafting system should give us the ability to customize and develop unique items that allow me to make my mark as a trader. In MO1, I tried to focus on creating luxury items, but I was not the only one who could make them and in the end there was not much difference between my ohgmium swords and the ohgmium swords of Ichorus (for example)
They were both good, but in the end they followed the same formula.

I wish there were options to create rare, unique and legendary items, just as you say, with unique properties, that you can apply with secret formulas etc ...

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Wasn´t gold useful in alchemy?

I think creating currency might spiral out of control and would make balancing the economy very difficult. By thinking along those lines it would be cool if we get to craft rings, necklaces (trinkets) in the future.

@Ibarruri What kind of unique features do you imagine? Visual? Or game play improvements?

Reactions: Ibarruri

Ibarruri

May 28, 2020
Meduli

I think creating currency might spiral out of control and would make balancing the economy very difficult. By thinking along those lines it would be cool if we get to craft rings, necklaces (trinkets) in the future.

@Ibarruri What kind of unique features do you imagine? Visual? Or game play improvements?

YES. Gold and silver were used in alchemy. It always seemed like a mistake and a nonsense to downgrade the category of two such important metals.
I always said they should be used to create coins, but starvault doesn't see it the same way. I never liked the infinite money system of the NPCs, but hey, it's another debate.

Regarding what you say, I would like the unique or legendary abilities to be of all kinds.
Visuals, unlocking extremely rare grips and blades whose recipes you can only obtain by unlocking some kind of secondary story in the game (a great secret that leads you to do various exploration, practice or search missions for a legendary material)
Regarding the possibility that some type of material was especially effective against certain types of creature, I do not see it viable, since it would break the quality chain. An ohgmium weapon will always be more effective against any type of creature than a steel one, it is the logic of the crafting system.
However, they could add special stones and items that allow you to improve your weapons so that they are more effective used against creatures or monsters, by receiving a bonus (that if I see it viable) regardless of what material the weapon is made of.

On the other hand, I think that the unlocking of some legendary weapons (blades and hilts) must be something rare and unique that very few can achieve, as it requires a lot of dedication. Anyway, I'm still not sure how I would put it. I don't know if Henrik has any ideas about it.

Last edited:

Ibarruri

May 28, 2020
Meduli

I like your idea of using silver and gold to design jewelry, rings, necklaces, crowns, pendants etc.
As an artisan, it would be fantastic for me to be able to create wonderful gold jewelery set with jewels such as gems, diamonds etc ...
An aesthetic and attractive jewelry system would be something incredible.

It's a great idea.

Reactions: Fortuona

Fortuona

Jun 17, 2020
NC USA
I find this one of my favorite thead/post to read.
I think it would be great if you could color the handle of a weapon. The same for other crafting items. Bows would be nice if you could add color.
I never really did to much crafting. I mostly fished and did gathering and of course pvp but I loved the whole system.

Ibarruri

May 28, 2020
Meduli
I find this one of my favorite thead/post to read.
I think it would be great if you could color the handle of a weapon. The same for other crafting items. Bows would be nice if you could add color.
I never really did to much crafting. I mostly fished and did gathering and of course pvp but I loved the whole system.

Apart from my activity as a banker and businessman in general, my other activity was an elite crafter. I was always obsessed with creating luxury items. The best materials, with the best additions.
As you say, customization is an important part of an experience as a craftsman. I would like to be able to design unique jewelry and weapons that have unique decorations, colors, capabilities and add-ons, no matter how difficult it was to get to this point.
While the skill system of the MO guarantees that a skilled craftsman makes the best possible weapon, for me it is not enough, I want to be able to make that weapon unique.
What if my client, a demanding warlord, wants an engraved weapon? Or maybe a gun with a gold, ornate grip? What if you want a sheet with a particular color?
Yes, I know, it's complicated, but I would find all that fascinating.

Different colored clothing, armor, jewelry, textures, custom weapons, capes etc ... As an experienced craftsman, I don't want to create simple common products. I want my store to offer the best money can buy (be it gold or RUBENS ajjaja)

Fortuona

Jun 17, 2020
NC USA
Apart from my activity as a banker and businessman in general, my other activity was an elite crafter. I was always obsessed with creating luxury items. The best materials, with the best additions.
As you say, customization is an important part of an experience as a craftsman. I would like to be able to design unique jewelry and weapons that have unique decorations, colors, capabilities and add-ons, no matter how difficult it was to get to this point.
While the skill system of the MO guarantees that a skilled craftsman makes the best possible weapon, for me it is not enough, I want to be able to make that weapon unique.
What if my client, a demanding warlord, wants an engraved weapon? Or maybe a gun with a gold, ornate grip? What if you want a sheet with a particular color?
Yes, I know, it's complicated, but I would find all that fascinating.

Different colored clothing, armor, jewelry, textures, custom weapons, capes etc ... As an experienced craftsman, I don't want to create simple common products. I want my store to offer the best money can buy (be it gold or RUBENS ajjaja)
I agree with this. Imagine if you could create custom shields! How cool would that be! I was a user of 2 handed clubs but I spent half my time using 1 handed swords and a shield. I was a role player and I found Mortal Online to be the perfect game for me. I was here from 2012 to 2016. I am going to get the game next month and go hardcore! Look forward to seeing you in game :)

Ibarruri

May 28, 2020
Meduli
I agree with this. Imagine if you could create custom shields! How cool would that be! I was a user of 2 handed clubs but I spent half my time using 1 handed swords and a shield. I was a role player and I found Mortal Online to be the perfect game for me. I was here from 2012 to 2016. I am going to get the game next month and go hardcore! Look forward to seeing you in game :)

I've been here so long that I don't even remember anymore. I was in college when I started playing. Now I work. When I have kids I guess MO2 will be finished. I trust that when I have grandchildren I will be able to play MO3. hahaha.
Well, seriously now, despite the graphical limitations the MO1 had an amazing variety of weapons, armor, customizations (there were paints for clothes etc) I think this fabulous new graphics engine is going to take it to the next level. I am fascinated by the idea of creating custom items and weapons. I have great faith that Starvault will do a great job on this, they just need time. It is not easy to manage everything you are doing now. For now, the game looks simply fascinating. I can't wait to relive my adventures in Myrland again. I am also a bit of a role player, although I was mainly a banker and arms dealer in MO1. I will continue with that role at MO2. Although I will try to add a ludus to my companies (for my own gladiator business in an arena) AND also a shipbuilding company (they are going to implement ships)