A Wet-Eared Bandit gets Existential

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
Hello all,

I made a short video from an encounter I had. It is going to be part of a series of gameplay footage lightly edited for RP.
There is PvP in this video but it is not a PvP montage (yes, I know, I am far from graceful).
It's really my first attempt at editing any sort of footage.
I'm looking to make a habit of it, so any suggestions or constructive feedback would be welcomed.

As I continue the series, I will be focusing on:
  • making fights more engaging to watch,​
  • adding to the atmosphere,​
  • more comprehensive text,​
  • trying narration,​
  • doing semi-scripted videos​
There are lots of small flaws in this one, but I need time to build up my skills. It took way too long to get it where it is. :)
I was enroute to Tindrem from Meduli, carrying a parcel for the Provinces.
Around half way through the journey, I noticed someone moving toward a nearby treeline.
I try to approach those I encounter, set an example that not all you meet are foes, so I went to say hello.

They came from behind a tree, a great hammer raised in the air.
I rode on, now facing a bandit, as a traveller would never swing first. Not one with a clear mind.
I looped around and dismounted to dispose of them. I don’t like leaving threats roadside.

As we neared each other, they seemed more keen to conversate than to battle. I was wary.
It wasn’t long until Nez’s rambling revealed a certain level of volatility. I decided to leave. Afterall, I had a parcel to deliver.
I turned my back, and on my lips were words of departure, when the bandit flew forward, lunging at my horse.

Striking at me is one thing, but at my horse? I scorn such brutality.
He pressed his assault, and we began to dance.

Using my great-blade to match the ferocity of his hammer, we found ourselves evenly matched, until a mounted archer happened upon the scene.
He fired his bow in my defense, sending Nez running.
As much as I appreciated the gesture, it was my fight to settle.
It took a moment, my speech slurring in my rush, but finally the archer Balvrikk understood and rode away.

I tracked Nez further, to the edge of the north western coastline that spans Tindrem to Meduli.
Here, my vision fluttered. I am prone to disorientation. I lost the upperhand, as Nez was upon me in seconds.

The maul wielding bandit was fast, swinging his weapon with deftness I could not read well.
The fight had us both hurting, evenly matched yet again, trading blows and narrow misses.

Suddenly, he backed away, and claimed he was afraid of death and wanted to stop what he called a duel.
Lost in the fact that he attacked my horse, I could not let the disrespect go. I pressed on.

With his nerves frayed, I gained the upper hand.
Before I had a chance to speak with him further, his corpse hit the ground. If only I had been less forceful.

I gathered the little from his things I cared for.
As I turned back toward my steed, to pack and heal our wounds, I wondered.
Had I been too harsh in my treatment of the bandit?

Now, I shake my head. I still don’t know.

To Balvrikk, the mounted archer. I nod to your honor. Thank you.
To Nez, I hope this experience helps you find surer footing.
As the path to Banditry and Murder is not well kempt,
& attacks on innocent horses will lead to many a fall.
Without further ado, enjoy this excerpt from my journal. Watch in 1440p if you want clear text.

Last edited:

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I liked the part where you sped up the music as the bandit approached. It gave a slight comical touch to it but kept it serious at the same time.

One constructive suggestion I have is if you could move the text to the bottom so it is less distracting. Also, you could add an opaque background underneath the text so it is easier to see, especially when the sun is shining on the area and the brightness can get in the way.

Other than that, I enjoyed the video and would like to see more. 🙂

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
I liked the part where you sped up the music as the bandit approached. It gave a slight comical touch to it but kept it serious at the same time.

One constructive suggestion I have is if you could move the text to the bottom so it is less distracting. Also, you could add an opaque background underneath the text so it is easier to see, especially when the sun is shining on the area and the brightness can get in the way.

Other than that, I enjoyed the video and would like to see more. 🙂
Thank you!

I wanted to add the background to the text but found it wasn't as easy as I hoped, at least for a fresh noobie like me. It will come in future videos :)
The speed up isn't just of the music, the entire video is often sped up. The original is over 9 minutes long! I agree, it does add a bit of a comedic touch, both in watching / hearing it, and also conceptually (as I know most veiwers want action, and are probably thinking "hurry hurry hurry!") :)