A list of things that should be polished before the Epic Release. (UI and conflicting keystrokes)

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020

The button layout. (conflicting keystrokes)

1a. Shift + (1... to 10) should be changed, since it causes problems when switching weapons

Many new players don't understand why they have such problems with weapon switching. This makes the game feel like an alpha, when switching weapons doesn't work properly.

Shift + (1... to 10) key assignment should be changed. If someone uses Alt + 2, Alt + 3 for the weapon slots, they will have problems switching weapons if they sprint while doing so. While running, you hold down shift, which confuses the game, as it wants the game to execute the shift + 2 or shift 3 combination instead of the Alt +2 or 3 combination, until you rebind all hotkeybinds attatched to shift.

My suggestion is two weapon layouts so the player can switch between a two-handed weapon and a shield + one-handed or bow layout more quickly. Best would be a keybinding like Mouse scroll up to switch between both weapon layouts like in any other modern game.

1b. The shift + left mouse button command to split stacks prevents reloading of arrows when someone is running, because instead of reloading arrows, the game wants to split the stack of arrows.

This keybind kills most new players who didn't first split their arrows into 25 piles of arrows and dragged them into the hotbar and relied on being able to manually reload arrows from inventory. This inevitably leads to frustration.

My suggestion would be to disable the split combination Shift + left mouse button on arrows when a player presses Shift + left mouse button in combination with W. This is always the case when someone tries to run away with shift and W and at the same time wants to press the left mouse button to reload arrows from his inventory.

1.c Last Spell cannot be used while running.

For example, I assigned "Last Spell" to the R key. While running i need to hold down the W and Shift keys and if i press R at the same time, the last spell function doesn't trigger, because Shift in combination with the R key causes key input conflicts.

My suggestion would be to always favor the last spell key when someone presses Shift and W.
That's why I've been wanting for a long time to have alternate keybinds so I can put Last Spell on R and Shift R for this feature to work while sprinting.

1d. The same problem occurs with Potions,Necromancy spells that can be cast while running and for all animal commands.

For all these commands you should be able to set two key combinations so that they work when sprinting.
If a player wants to cast Deathhand while sprinting, they have to think of a key for it and alternatively map that key to Shift + the chosen key for it to work while sprinting and as mentioned above, this also applies to all pet commands, potions, etc.

2. Issues with self-casting spells that don't count toward Magic School Ecumenical Spells and can't be precast, as the Target Self/Last Spell feature only works if a spell can be precasted.​

As already mentioned, the game only registers the target self and last target function when a spell has been precast. This forces players that use Necromany or Spritism spells to cast the spell, cancel it, and then recast those spells with the Last Spell keybind on themselves ! That feels incredibly crappy ad clunky ! Some new players told me that 20 years old games had a better UI !

3. Poorly chosen default keybinds, that prevent new players from becoming good players if nobody explains to them which key bindings they absolutely have to change !​

3a. CTRL for the walk/feint/cancel spell function sucks!

If you feinted, you automatically switch to walk mode and have to press shift again if you activated the tab shift to sprint and not the hold down shift to sprint function.
Because of this, most players bind the walk/feint/cancel spell function to either Q or E. It's much easier to press Q or E while holding shift. It's way too uncomfortable to press CTRL and Shift at the same time !

My suggestion would be to completely remove the Target self keybind from the game and rename the Last Spell keybind to Last Spell/Target self, since you can also use the Last Spell function to cast spells on yourself. This frees up a keybinding that you could assign walk/feint/cancel spell to by default.

I think Q should be the default keybinding for Walk/Feint/Cancel Spell. That would make the most sense, as the Q key is used by default by all sword games such as Mount and Blade and Chivalery for the feints.

No player even comes close to using the CTRL key to fake swings !

3b. "V" is the worst possible default key combination to assign Overhead Strike to.

No new player would ever come up with the idea to press the V key to perform an overhead stike. It's impossible to press the V key in combat without a third bionic arm as it is miles away from the WASD keys. Who in the SV team came up with this default key combination for overhead strikes?

My suggestion would be to set the overhead strike key to E as the default key assignment and alternatively to thumb mouse key 1.
Thrust attack can remain on the ALT key and should alternatively be reassigned to the Thump Mouse Key 2 key as the standard keybinding.
R should be used fot cast last spell as default key and F should be the default Keybind for interact.

4. Chest and Inventory related Bugs​

4a. The bank Chest bug

New players who haven't already filled their bank chest or filled their bank chest with bags often wonder why they can't use some of their bank slots. This is a bug that new players encounter in the first 10 minutes!
For some reason the game wants to fill the first row slots first and doesn't allow using those slots if the second and third rows are filled with items first. A new player has to come to this and has the impression that his game is bugged and that there might be invisible items in his bank that cost him bank space.

My suggestion would be to prioritize this fix ASAP and it would be very nice if the split regs from a bag in the bank went straight to the players inventory instead of the game wanting to put them in the main bank drawer, as in most cases all those slots are already completely filled.
For this reason you have to manually drag every reagent that you split in a bag inside your bank into your inventory and that's annoying.

4b. House Chest Bug

4b-1. The bags that are in a chest in the house cannot be opened inside the chest. The bag must first be manually dragged into the inventory.
4b-2. The items in a house chest cannot be split inside the chest.
4b-3. The not quite full stacks do not fill up to the maximum number of stacks and create a smaller new stack, if materials are left over when right-clicking on an item in the inventory, but primarily occupy a new slot in the house chest.
4b-4. If you manually drag a stack from your chest in the house into a slot of your horse's bag, the stack does not end up in the horse's bag, but in the player's inventory.
4b-5. Right-clicking on an item in the house chest while the horse's bags are open will prioritize the horse's bags being filled with the stacks, which is welcome, but as a player adds more stacks like the horse can carry, there will be no massage, that the horse can not carry that much and everything gets buggs. The items end up invisibly in the player's inventory, who then wonders why his Avatar is overloaded. Afterwards the player is forced to use the /droploot command to make the items visible in the lootbag !!!!!!!!!!!!
4b-6. Sometimes the access house chests cannot be opened if you return to your house with loot without relogging first. I suspect this is what causes the bug, as at some positions in the house the game doesn't register that the player is in the house. The interaction circle fills up, but the box doesn't open.
4b-7. As in point 4b-6. previously mentioned, the game sometimes does not register that the player is inside the house. This causes problems with furniture placement as well as with logging out, as the timer to log out is 120 seconds when the player does not stand inside a house. Often you have to move your character around the house for some time and find a position where the game registers, that the player is in the house in order to reduce the logout timer or to be able to place furniture.

5. Option for Melee and Bow Mousesense, including a Vertical and Horizontal Mousense.​

The melee mouse sense need to be much higher then the Bow Mousesense. Players with a gamer mouse have a huge advantage by being able to change the DPI setting, as soon as they switch to a bow.

6. Allow us to bind all blocking directions on different Hotkeys, including an option for alternative Keybinds.​

This is very important for players that want to use the attack modifiers charges attacks option, becuase players using it are loosing the option to block with the overhead and thrust Key while turning and you have to turn arround a lot while blocking Overheads and stebs, if you have to fight 1 vs x Players.
This would reduce the reaction time and might help players with high ping to block mid attacks from flakestone weapons.

7. An option to disable upper and mid blocks via directional blocking with your mouse, for those players that prefer to use the thrust and Overhead Keybinds to block up and down.​

Many if not most players use the Overhead and thrust key in combination with the right mouse to block overhead and mid attacks and use the mouse to block right and left attacks. This option would reduce imput errors.

Last edited:

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I would add the personal notes feature to the list, I have groups of notes for my crafting, players and guilds to keep a note of, and refining processes. As of late, my notes have disappeared not once but twice.

And the bestiary, my goodness we have basic entries like pigs and chickens not filled in. It's a bad look when newcomers see all these blank entries and it just makes the game look like it's still in alpha.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
Awesome Ideas. Hopefully star vault will do that. :)
I hope so too.

Starvault certainly hopes for good press and a good rating during the EpiC Release, and playtesters always look at the UI first.

The keybinds are still in conflict to each other and it is mendatory to change them, to not run into problems, because your imputs are not registrated while you are sprinting and this 1 year after release ! SV added so much fantastic content but never made Rliable keystrokes a priority.

The players can fix some of the mentioned problems by changing some of the default key binds, but in contrast to the problem with changing weapons, using the pet commands and potions while sprinting, there is no workaround for being able to use last Spell while sprinting, as there is no icon for last spell, that could be dragged into two different slots of the hotbar, which then could be assingned to "R" and "Shift + R", to be able to cast last spell while sprinting and there is no option for an alternative key binding aswell.

Rliable key assignments are the most important core game mechanics and are part of the basic structure of every game.

I watch a lot of new players, give them tips and try to help. In every stream I hear the same 12 Points of criticism during his stay in Heaven.

1. Why is the UI so shitty ?
2. Why are some of my keystrokes not registering ?
3.Why is switching weapons so slow and do not work sometimes ?
4.Why are some of my bank slots bugged out ?
5.Why does the bow do so little damage ?
6. Why does the game send me mining rocks with my sword ?
7.Why isn't there a little mini boss at the end of the dungeon in Heaven.
8.Where is the Elementalism Vendor
9. Why does books have different names as the skills.
10. Why i can´t releoad my arrows while kiting mobs.
11. Why i can´t equip the torch in my offhand.

12. Why does the crafting Bench not tell me how much materials i need to craft the wanted item of the selected materials.

SV need to work on the first impression of the game for the new players.

Last edited:

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
If you bound Bandages on a hotkey they should not be droppen in the horsebag if you press the Hotbar icon to equip a bandage, when your horse bags are open.

Elijah

Jun 17, 2021

3b. "V" is the worst possible default key combination to assign Overhead Strike to.

No new player would ever come up with the idea to press the V key to perform an overhead stike. It's impossible to press the V key in combat without a third bionic arm as it is miles away from the WASD keys. Who in the SV team came up with this default key combination for overhead strikes?

My suggestion would be to set the overhead strike key to E as the default key assignment and alternatively to thumb mouse key 1.
Thrust attack can remain on the ALT key and should alternatively be reassigned to the Thump Mouse Key 2 key as the standard keybinding.
R should be used fot cast last spell as default key and F should be the default Keybind for interact.
I agree with most of this, but I do have a question... Where is your v key that it's hard to reach? I have a full sized keyboard, and my thumb almost perfectly rests on v/space when I'm relaxed. Even have to move it over to hit c which is my DH keybind. I agree that it is a weird choice for a keybind for overhead attacks, but I can't imagine that its that hard to reach. Anywho, we definitely do need some massive UI changes. I like how it's visually minimalist, but it's still just generally bad. Interacting with the game is a chore until you build the muscle memory and knowledge that is basically required to even get started.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
I agree with most of this, but I do have a question... Where is your v key that it's hard to reach? I have a full sized keyboard, and my thumb almost perfectly rests on v/space when I'm relaxed. Even have to move it over to hit c which is my DH keybind. I agree that it is a weird choice for a keybind for overhead attacks, but I can't imagine that its that hard to reach. Anywho, we definitely do need some massive UI changes. I like how it's visually minimalist, but it's still just generally bad. Interacting with the game is a chore until you build the muscle memory and knowledge that is basically required to even get started.

After all, you would have to keep your thumb on the V button all the time. Try that!

I would have to clench my hand extremely.

Rynnik

Feb 11, 2022
At first I wasn’t sold on your post because for what ever retarded reason shift -> sprint is an industry standard. If they changed that there would be posts complaining the other way. First thing I rebind in any game. Shift and pinky are for modifiers only in WASD layouts lol

But then I got to point four and started nodding along. It’s such a horrible inexplicable experience and while you can manage to work around it, it leaves a sour taste every single time for me. Maybe some of this will be incidentally addressed when they do bag labels? I hope so.

And then point 6 and I was fully cheering for your post. How is this not implemented yet??? 7 to me is just an offshoot of 6 but yes, four keybinds for four blocking directions as highest possible priority.

(Stop using shift for sprint in games it’s beyond stupid)

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
At first I wasn’t sold on your post because for what ever retarded reason shift -> sprint is an industry standard. If they changed that there would be posts complaining the other way. First thing I rebind in any game. Shift and pinky are for modifiers only in WASD layouts lol

But then I got to point four and started nodding along. It’s such a horrible inexplicable experience and while you can manage to work around it, it leaves a sour taste every single time for me. Maybe some of this will be incidentally addressed when they do bag labels? I hope so.

And then point 6 and I was fully cheering for your post. How is this not implemented yet??? 7 to me is just an offshoot of 6 but yes, four keybinds for four blocking directions as highest possible priority.

(Stop using shift for sprint in games it’s beyond stupid)

You misunderstood me. Shift is used for sprinting in every game. I dont want to see that changed. The split shift function and the conflicting Keystrokes are the problem that prevent you from reloading arrows while sprinting and causing problems to change your weapons while sprinting.

SV need to get rid of the Shift + 1, Shift +2, Shift +3, Shift +4 .... Keybinds for the hotbar, to not cause conflicts.

Shift should stay the default key for sprinting.

Last edited:

Rynnik

Feb 11, 2022
You misunderstood me. Shift is used for sprinting in every game. I dont want to see that changed. The split shift function and the conflicting Keystrokes are the problem that prevent you from reloading arrows while sprinting and causing problems to change your weapons while sprinting.
No I don’t misunderstand. I just think if you use shift for sprint in ANY game you are a moron.

That said I agree with and support the rest of your post.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
"I just think if you use shift for sprint in ANY game you are a moron ????" Every FPS Game use shift for sprinting. What key are you using ?

Rynnik

Feb 11, 2022
"I just think if you use shift for sprint in ANY game you are a moron ????" Every FPS Game use shift for sprinting. What key are you using ?
Like I said it is the first thing I rebind in every game I play. I use the mouse. For mortal swing block and sprint are all mouse buttons, far better.