A design document detailing the suggested “Bounty System” For Mortal Online 2

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
I like the general idea of the concept and theres some things i do not like in particular.

For example i wouldnt vouch for any tracking device at all, city local bounties have to be a thing, i'd like to see players to actually track these bounties with their criteria and not a glowing stone, making the wilderness the ally of the ones that are being pursued, having a tracking device would require no effort to the player chasing and the bounty couldnt ever be hidden which defeats the purpose of wilderness and geography of nave.

If that glowing stone would exist it should have a really short range, just to confirm the bounty still in the area.

Might be really hard to prevent abusing a bounty system even with these ideas on how to prevent it.

Among other things.

Yet i rather see an alive player report system instead of the current murdercount system and before bounties are added.

Last edited:
Reactions: Midkemma and Tzone

Bladeer01

Aug 1, 2021
i was against a bounty system before reading you "abuse" section , i would be harder on it and go " no listed friend" great idea , let's bump it

Tzone

May 16, 2021
maybe the stone could be based off their nearest priest. And be only activated on a cool down as I think this game has too many networking issues.

Maybe something as, the seer stone points you to the nearest priest they are at with a 5min CD So its plenty usable. And then talking to the priest tells you that the cardinal direction they are in with maybe a distance with a 1 min CD. If you are close to your target then the stone can let you know some how.

Also would have to add a cool down to setting a home priest for all players and allow the stone to be carried and used in ghost mode.

Dastardly

May 29, 2020
in the game tibia, there is a magic to locate ppl Exiva "name of the character" could be used here

It's also similar in theory to the tracking devices in the starwars universe.

i was against a bounty system before reading you "abuse" section , i would be harder on it and go " no listed friend" great idea , let's bump it

Full transparency. I made an extensive list but I also took that list to many different veterans of the game and asked them how they would break the system. Then expanded my list with counter mechanics.

Reactions: Bladeer01

Wollkneul

May 28, 2020
My only criticism on the system is, that it is quite limited and therefore unsandboxy, because it is only used for bounty hunting.

It would be preferable to have a system that could be used for all kinds of purposes, like a general contract system.

Reactions: Midkemma

Dastardly

May 29, 2020
My only criticism on the system is, that it is quite limited and therefore unsandboxy, because it is only used for bounty hunting.

It would be preferable to have a system that could be used for all kinds of purposes, like a general contract system.

Yeah, but I think it's best to look at a system like this as one tool. Of course you could sit around in town screaming to sell your wares, but there is a broker to assist with that goal. We need some tools assist in the gameplay. You could probably just have buy orders for bounties head. My prediction is due to the ease of gaming that system no one would use it. Or people who do use it will just have the gold cheesed and then mocked on the discord. Somethings just require mechanics for it to play out in any way as intended.

Wollkneul

May 28, 2020
Yeah, but I think it's best to look at a system like this as one tool. Of course you could sit around in town screaming to sell your wares, but there is a broker to assist with that goal. We need some tools assist in the gameplay. You could probably just have buy orders for bounties head. My prediction is due to the ease of gaming that system no one would use it. Or people who do use it will just have the gold cheesed and then mocked on the discord. Somethings just require mechanics for it to play out in any way as intended.

I get your point.

I just say that it would be preferable to embed your system in a more general system.

For example you could take all the properties of your system and assign them to the kill contract in a more general contract system, that would also encapsule selling contracts, delivery contracts, mercenary contracts and so on.

Instead of only allowing a bounty hunter to track targets, think about an item or skill (tracking) to find an arbitrary player.

If you can envision a more general system with the same possible properties as the specialized system, you should always go for the more general one

Dastardly

May 29, 2020
I get your point.

I just say that it would be preferable to embed your system in a more general system.

For example you could take all the properties of your system and assign them to the kill contract in a more general contract system, that would also encapsule selling contracts, delivery contracts, mercenary contracts and so on.

Instead of only allowing a bounty hunter to track targets, think about an item or skill (tracking) to find an arbitrary player.

If you can envision a more general system with the same possible properties as the specialized system, you should always go for the more general one

I could see a more generalized approach working.

Assassination contracts and the like as well.

AidanKyros

Jan 18, 2021
The system in it self would be an improvement to the game, but current rep/murdercount/criminal systems would likely hamper the design, unnecessary loss of rep or gain of murder counts due to being a group or encountering a group, pure murderhobo players could entirely ignore any threat to their rep/murdercount while bounty hunters will likely not want to fight allies of the criminal if they are blue.

People don't generally play solo, and this does seem to encompass the solo idea entirely, and when I say that, I don't mean it won't work for groups, but I foresee groups of ppl grabbing the stone, maybe following one bounty at a time either finding another group or a solo gank, then following the next guys stone.

Depending on the rewards this may not be efficient to be done that way, and if it isn't comparable to other methods of farming, it may not be preferable to do at all; In that case people will grab it to use while they are doing whatever they had planned to do before and if the stone happens to beep, then a detour will happen. IF the bounty hunters have other tasks to complete (farm gold, mats, etc..) otherwise it may work as intended.

Back onto group gameplay in regards to this, i love leaderboards, i love point scores, but I also love sections, what's stopping there to be a guild section for those protecting the nation, a guild section for those killing members of a nation, right now we have mainly tindremic and khurite nations with reputation, and there is no reason to not "fix" the flaws in the current system while implementing these types of mechanics.

Areas of the game should be properly chopped out via coordinates and flagged as nation or wild, spawning in or at priests should have no effect on reputation scores, karma based on killing "innocents" imo is fine to track via the murdercount system and effect what kind of priest will respawn you, reputation should be lost upon criminal acts in a nation flagged area, which causes the bounty system to up your score for you individually and for your guild in that nation flag, this can give incentive for guilds to not want certain types of characters running with their banner, this can fix issues with reputation loss fighting blue members of a guild whom you hold a bounty for their red player member, the bounty/stone due to the player being guilded should encompass the entire guild as a criminal while the bounty is active, that way unnecessary reputation loss for bounty hunters will not occur.

/edit: for the last part of the above, if you are in a guild and grab a bounty I think there should be similar mechanics to the individual part wherein your guild should be able to fight with no flag issues the enemy bounty\guild with no reputation loss. This should literally be a type of wardec based on the nations contract that you and your allies whom have been entrusted this job can do with no repercussion to your rep, otherwise it will not work. Or some other solution to either hamper the idea of "blue" allies of the bounty from causing rep loss during a hunt.

As you successfully kill bounties, you and your guild should gain standing in this system on the player/guild board, this would give more renown to a group or player and provide more competition, aside from monetary rewards this can bring about different treatment or available content rewards for players and guilds.

It doesn't have to look like this but this outlines more of how the system currently works and what it could look like, this could entirely fix up the nonsense of the current reputation system and actually give meaning behind current functions in game asides from just parcels.

Last edited:

Midkemma

Feb 27, 2022

Yeah, but I think it's best to look at a system like this as one tool.

I liked what @Wollkneul said.
Each tool is made up of parts and some of those parts may be useful mechanics in alternate systems.

I'd say how you stated then makes it feel that it is more of a functional design rather than than designing from the view of making everything objects that interact.

It looks like you designed the car which rivals the Bugatti ^.^
Wollkneul has praised the wheels and said they'd be awesome on a quadbike.

Break the design from functional to object then you can hand over the wheel design instead of the whole car.

Wollkneul gets to make his awesome quadbike.
Hand over the engine design and let Joe Bloggs make an OP gokart...

You have the design of the car but also the design of how the pieces are put together to make your car.

Sorry if I sounded patronising and making things oversimplified in my example. I hope it conveyed what I meant though ^.^
EDIT: Updated bad wording to be closer to what I meant.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 44

Wait, what do I get as a murderer. I don't want some bullshit system that tracks me for some loser blue to RP off of.

Also, the bounty system is really weird for a game that interacts with death like mortal does.

There is literally a line of magic that involves killing yourself. Murders in this game aren't murders. You don't die forever and you can self report your own death. If anything, people that murder you are just stealing your time and items.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wollkneul

May 28, 2020
Wait, what do I get as a murderer. I don't want some bullshit system that tracks me for some loser blue to RP off of.

Also, the bounty system is really weird for a game that interacts with death like mortal does.

There is literally a line of magic that involves killing yourself. Murders in this game aren't murders. You don't die forever and you can self report your own death. If anything, people that murder you are just stealing your time and items.

As far as I understood what you wrote there, there is not a single argument in your post.
You simply stated that you don't like it.

KebekLorde

Jan 27, 2022
Really well put together system for bounty hunting,

@Robmo I hope you can bring feedback about this to the dev team so that the planned bounty hunting system doesn't come out with flaws that could have been avoided with ideas from this post.

Melkhia

Apr 2, 2022
As a game designer myself to;
yeah it's a pretty solid and well presented design intention, especially on a so polarizing and hard to balance mechanic.
great job @Dastardly

Reactions: Dastardly

Midkemma

Feb 27, 2022
What games have these game designers worked on?
Also... What sort of 'games designer' are we talking about?

Tzone

May 16, 2021
As far as I understood what you wrote there, there is not a single argument in your post.
You simply stated that you don't like it.
Hew had two arguments which is clear to see. One was, what does the bounty get out of the system. So far if you are a red player there is not benifit to the system outside being able to kill yourselves/guildies for the profit on alts.

The next argument he had was about dying when dying was used for a future magic school.

Im ok with a bounty system but they really need to lessen the other anti PvP mechanics if they add another anti PvP mechanic like a bounty system. Bounty system being the much better option to what we have now but knowing how anti PvP Henrik is I think that he will just dog pile more negatives with out giving relief to the PvPers.

Wollkneul

May 28, 2020
Hew had two arguments which is clear to see. One was, what does the bounty get out of the system. So far if you are a red player there is not benifit to the system outside being able to kill yourselves/guildies for the profit on alts.

The next argument he had was about dying when dying was used for a future magic school.

Im ok with a bounty system but they really need to lessen the other anti PvP mechanics if they add another anti PvP mechanic like a bounty system. Bounty system being the much better option to what we have now but knowing how anti PvP Henrik is I think that he will just dog pile more negatives with out giving relief to the PvPers.

A bounty system, a system where players search for other players to engage in combat, is anti-pvp?

Dastardly

May 29, 2020
Woah... this picked back up. Gimme some time to digest what was asked. As for what kind of "game designer" am I? The answer is .... Yes. I have 3 video games and a few physical games on the market.

Hope that's enough of a bar to pass for permission to casually discuss game design here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Melkhia