A comprehensive pet feedback thread

Shadowmist

Dec 19, 2021
disagree... you did say it's up for debate ;) that amount of damage is so tiny it's utterly pointless, you said so yourself about current pet skills:

auto attack pet dmg shouldn't be a primary source, i agree there, but it should be enough to apply pressure over time... i'm thinking 7-10 at least.. functioning almost like a dot... you can ignore it for a bit but eventually it's gonna catch up to you
I see where you're coming from and agree to a degree, but the things we have to allow for build diversity. If a pet deals 7-10 auto attack damage to steel imagine what it would do to light armored mages, and pets are already very strong mage destroyers as it is. So the auto attacks should really not be meant for damage, but could still work well as a mage disruptors, which I think is a fair deal. As a mage I'd rather be interrupted than killed.

While this does need to be thought about, it needs to be thought about carefully. Some speed pets (razorback, cougar) are really useful for applying pressure to horses if you're mounted and trying to just make a getaway (useful for merchants such as myself, keep chasing me and my pet with eventually pressure you to kill it by threatening your horse giving me an opportunity to keep running or swing back around and blast you or your horse while you're trying to kill my pet when initially you thought i was the mouse and you were the cat). I think that's a pretty neat mechanic and don't want it to go poof by sloppily and thoughtlessly just nerfing the no stamina thing into the ground... but again don't agree with nerfing auto attack dmg too far either as discussed above, so there'd need to be a different solution.... maybe give them a leash but be sure to make that sucker huge if the owner is mounted.

Again the key here is damage. If pets deal very little auto attack damage it would allow for us to have pets that are super fast without it being game breaking.
I think for the most part though we should have to rely on move speed abilities to really be efficient at chasing someone down, which with my focus overhaul means you out your pet at risk for retaliation (since spending focus makes it more susceptible to damage).

Most larger pets such as camadons or elder terror birds basically walk into their target and block your total sight of it. It is really hard to focus the target to trigger a skill.
I think instead of changing the whole system to accomodate for that, large pets should instead have a skillset that suits it, i.e. skills that don't need a target.

All pets are currently designed so that footies with reptile armor and a cuprum weapon can solo the max level pet with the exception of a campodon. Pets are supposed to catch up to players so I dont know how people continue to defend this. People suggesting this simply dont know how to parry the pet and want to have the power to grief the pet with a shortbow butt ass naked.

What youre suggesting is that a player should be able to run away, the pet would stam out in a field and then they would be able to kill it from a distance while the tamer spams "pet follow me" while nothing happens because its stammed out. Am I wrong about what you are suggesting?

I disagree. Pets in general aren't designed to be able to catch up with players, but SOME pets are, and suggesting you can parry them doesn't take into consideration builds with multiple pets or a number of beastmasters sending their pets on the same target, completely overwhelming them.
For clarification, my suggestion with an inversed focus system working similar to a stamina bar was JUST for ritual pets, nothing more. The way I see it ritual pets need a completely separate treatment since they don't have any bm skills and they would probably end up working more similar to how all pets work today.

Reactions: Slarti Bartfast

Shadowmist

Dec 19, 2021
Reminds me of my first experience with the spider pull skill. At the beginning I was really hyped to try it out.

Then the first shock: your pet needs max focus to trigger the skill. So basically your pet needs to be in meele distance to pull the enemy.
So basically only useful for fleeing enemys.
Second shock:
Evey tried focusing a player through the huge hitbox of a spider following the player?

Edit: GW2 pet system for rangers was great.
100% agree. Having them auto attack to gain access to abilities is a so so idea on paper at best. Focus should passively regen to max regardless if your pet is fighting or not, and using its abilities should be a risk/reward situation.

Reactions: Slarti Bartfast

Weis

Jun 1, 2022
Then the first shock: your pet needs max focus to trigger the skill. So basically your pet needs to be in meele distance to pull the enemy.
Well I noticed most beastmastery skills require an additional 100 points to use than what they say they require. so when my wolf has a skill requiring 400 focus, i really need 500 to use it... Kind of lame

Shadowmist

Dec 19, 2021
Well I noticed most beastmastery skills require an additional 100 points to use than what they say they require. so when my wolf has a skill requiring 400 focus, i really need 500 to use it... Kind of lame
Good catch, hadn't even noticed that.

Shadowmist

Dec 19, 2021
So can we agree that pets should get Exp for killing mobs?
100%

Henriks solution he mentioned on stream seemed to instead focus on leveling them via an npc for gold, which is a cheap and worse solution. It fixes part of the problem, sure, but it makes for less interactions and fewer people out leveling their pets.