3nd Tier ingredient for cooking

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2020
Montreal, QC
In cooking is see it as multi-tier when it comes to ingredients.

so 1st tier would be Harvest-and-Go: kill pig, butcher it, cook the meat. Harvest Jambura from tree, use it in recipe. thing that you can just use right off the bat.

2nd Tier is Processed ingredients: Juices, Flour, oils and Dairy. Things that you have to use crafting appliences to create. (i put dairy in there cuz maybe we can make our own butter later on? we never know.)

Finaly... the 3rd Tier, here's my idea that im trying to introduce to you guys/devs, Already cooked ingredients: Alchools, boiled eggs, fried/boiled/roasted meats, breads, dumplings and soups.

so we can use 7+ ingredients but the recipes all requires you to have ratios. like bread 4:2:4 so.. 4 flour+ 2 liquid+4 vitis is raisin bread? lets say u wanna make a complex stew? look at this guys..

each recipe become another ingredient (or would be treated as such) imparting properties to the meals as would any other ingredient normaly would.

so here's my big idea and please follow or go read cooking for the masses cuz its gonna get complicated if you dont know how cooking works

lets make a pig stew. 25% liquid + 75% solid in a cooking pot right? following? soups and decoction count as liquids and the rest count as solids right?

[lets make our liquid] ----------------- also see below? im using a bone tissue decoction as my liquid for soup? im basically making a bone/vegetable broth!
lets mix Karoton/ceppa/Capsicum/porcini shrooms with bone tissue decoction (1karoton :1 ceppa :1 Capsicum :1porcini :4 bone tissu decoction [ 1 bone tissue :9 water])

Lets make our solids -----im using cooked meats mixed with Rice
spit roasted Pig + Rice at a 1:1 ratio.

mixe 25% vegetable/bone soup + 75% fried pig with whole rice...

and get a fried pig with whole rice stew with the benefits of both meals together. obviously its alot of lore and stuff to get but it balances out the fact that ur mixing 2 high quality "ingredients"

https://www.starvault.se/mortalforums/threads/cooking-for-the-masses.88787/ here's the link to cooking for the masses so ppl will know wtf im talking about lol

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
Massive agree, it always bothered me that I could not prepare ingredients for a multi-level dish.

Even without the ability to do so, I spent hundreds of hours fiddling with the cooking and extraction system to make fun things.

Adding this would transcend the cooking system into an absolutely massive, beautiful beast that I desperately want.

Reactions: Zbuciorn

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Just dont force cooking as in eating on me like in MO SV, make a better use for it. I would rather it be small temporary PvE buffs than must have for reserves.

Then again I dont want to see reserves make a comback into MO2 either. Useless system to force the game down a second job path.

Reactions: Grasthard

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
Just dont force cooking as in eating on me like in MO SV, make a better use for it. I would rather it be small temporary PvE buffs than must have for reserves.

Then again I dont want to see reserves make a comback into MO2 either. Useless system to force the game down a second job path.
This is where I hard disagree. I feel like yes, the reserve mechanic was clunky and time consuming, but food should play a vital role. Honestly - I would prefer for this portion of the game to get less forgiving, though rethought out to be less annoying. Food and hydration should be something your character needs. Hydration should be obtained via fruit or liquids, particularly water, of course, and it should be more intricate than just grabbing fist full of water.

This makes travelling need to be thought out, and puts a small time limit or survival aspect into play. If you dont pack rations, you need to know your environment. It promotes situational awareness and planning.

Reactions: Teknique

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
This is where I hard disagree. I feel like yes, the reserve mechanic was clunky and time consuming, but food should play a vital role. Honestly - I would prefer for this portion of the game to get less forgiving, though rethought out to be less annoying. Food and hydration should be something your character needs. Hydration should be obtained via fruit or liquids, particularly water, of course, and it should be more intricate than just grabbing fist full of water.

This makes travelling need to be thought out, and puts a small time limit or survival aspect into play. If you dont pack rations, you need to know your environment. It promotes situational awareness and planning.
Imo something needed in survival games, not MMORPGs, but thats our differing opinions.
I see why you would want this, but imo it makes the game too second jobish and second lifeish. We could also go with perma death but as I think with such forced features will alienate more players than it will bring.

Most of us play video games to escape the tediousness of RL and dont want it simulating our play time and decrease the maybe little time we do have to play and have fun.
Some want to get in and slay monsters, some want to get in and slay players, some to slay players killing players, some to cook, some to craft, etc etc etc.

My point is that MO was the perfect example of throwing together too many of these as essentials in order to do almost anything which increase the management time investment you need in place BEFORE you can enjoy the game for what you want out of it.

PS.Traveling alone in MO took hours away from a play session, in MO2 it WILL be worse from the fact the world is about 4x bigger. No need to increase this further imo.

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
Imo something needed in survival games, not MMORPGs, but thats our differing opinions.
I see why you would want this, but imo it makes the game too second jobish and second lifeish. We could also go with perma death but as I think with such forced features will alienate more players than it will bring.

Most of us play video games to escape the tediousness of RL and dont want it simulating our play time and decrease the maybe little time we do have to play and have fun.
Some want to get in and slay monsters, some want to get in and slay players, some to slay players killing players, some to cook, some to craft, etc etc etc.

My point is that MO was the perfect example of throwing together too many of these as essentials in order to do almost anything which increase the management time investment you need in place BEFORE you can enjoy the game for what you want out of it.

PS.Traveling alone in MO took hours away from a play session, in MO2 it WILL be worse from the fact the world is about 4x bigger. No need to increase this further imo.
I understand your PoV, but knowing that the food system WILL exist to some degree anyway, stand by my suggestion. Of course I would want it to be balanced around accessibility to avoid tediousness.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
I understand your PoV, but knowing that the food system WILL exist to some degree anyway, stand by my suggestion. Of course I would want it to be balanced around accessibility to avoid tediousness.
Dont get me wrong I like MO cooking and cooking in games and knowing it will be here but not to be forced down our throats as essential to play but as more optional for its intended crowd.

May 29, 2020
Montreal, QC
if health or stam reserve is you primary concern just cook pig and spelt together with some milk or cream. keep 1000 unit of that wherever you go. when u eat it, u heal 2 reserve in one time. see? no BS cooking, 3 ingredients and you dont waste your time on eating/cooking system if its not you're main focus in mo2. keep the food system as it is so people who played mo1. reserve where anoying yes but easy to deal with.

i just personally think that having more freedome and options "FOR THE PLAYERS WHO WANNA TAKE PART IN THE CRAFT" is still nice to have. im not asking to revamp food system to force ppl to use or make food more impactful... it already is. all i want is same system and we can use cooked foods as another ingredient, that's it.

Reactions: Xunila and Sarkhan

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
if health or stam reserve is you primary concern just cook pig and spelt together with some milk or cream. keep 1000 unit of that wherever you go. when u eat it, u heal 2 reserve in one time. see? no BS cooking, 3 ingredients and you dont waste your time on eating/cooking system if its not you're main focus in mo2. keep the food system as it is so people who played mo1. reserve where anoying yes but easy to deal with.

i just personally think that having more freedome and options "FOR THE PLAYERS WHO WANNA TAKE PART IN THE CRAFT" is still nice to have. im not asking to revamp food system to force ppl to use or make food more impactful... it already is. all i want is same system and we can use cooked foods as another ingredient, that's it.
Dont really want to repeat myself over and over but cooking as it was introduced in MO years into the game was to punish players unless they ate food from a pointless food system because most disregarded it due to it not serving a purpose other than to those enjoying it without having a purpose beside gaining sophistication.

To me that is the opposite of Quality of Life which in recent years have become very important in games for gamers.

Again MO nor MO2 is survival, simulation or second life games. It does not NEED a giant cooking system that punish players for not using it, why not have it in as a RPG feature for players wanting to play as cooks, roleplayers or other such type players instead of ruining SOME of the gametime of probably 70-90% of the games players ? Is it really worth it ? By seeing the reaction it got in MO why would we want it continued in MO2 in the same way ?

May 29, 2020
Montreal, QC
fine then dont repeat yourself....no matter what i will type here you wont get along with. u cant be punished by a system that's meant to be there. taking the system away , now thats punishiment towards cooks/crafters cuz some ppl dont like the core feature. anyway, moving on.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
fine then dont repeat yourself....no matter what i will type here you wont get along with. u cant be punished by a system that's meant to be there. taking the system away , now thats punishiment towards cooks/crafters cuz some ppl dont like the core feature. anyway, moving on.
Well as I said cooking came in years after MO was released and then after that reserves was introduced to make cooking have some form of meaning. How is that not punishing players with a new system worse than taking such a system out to increase QoL present in MO2 compared to MO ?

Then again I never said to take it out, keep it in but keep it optional and not forced. Those who like it will use it and those who dont wont.
Again its not a core feature, it was not in original MO.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.

I agree. Initially they said that food would not be a factor or needed by players. But in the end it really was/did.

With that being the case, I would rather see it more like what is common/familiar in survival games now than what we have in MO currently.

Again MO nor MO2 is survival, simulation or second life games. It does not NEED a giant cooking system that punish players for not using it, why not have it in as a RPG feature for players wanting to play as cooks, roleplayers or other such type players instead of ruining SOME of the gametime of probably 70-90% of the games players ? Is it really worth it ? By seeing the reaction it got in MO why would we want it continued in MO2 in the same way ?

It is not often that I disagree with you but I think that MO is these things and more. MO is a persistent world that players have to try and live/survive in.

The current reserve system is confusing and has little logic to it though. Where more logical systems similar to other current games would be familiar and more easier digested by new players.

Last edited:

DrChaoz

May 28, 2020
Germany
The current reserve system is confusing and has little logic to it though. Where more logical systems similar to other current games would be familiar and more easier digested by new players.
What do you think is confusing in having less max health or Stamina because you didn't eat anything or atleast the wrong food, and getting Obese by eating fat food. Or did I miss something at this mechanic? For me this is neither cofusion nor hard to understand.

Reactions: Xunila

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
What do you think is confusing in having less max health or Stamina because you didn't eat anything or atleast the wrong food, and getting Obese by eating fat food. Or did I miss something at this mechanic? For me this is neither cofusion nor hard to understand.

Its more about new players than me but, I find the bars/meters and how they work with food less than intuitive. Add to that the illogical idea of killing yourself to gain hunger.

Another point of possible confusion to new players is the thirst meter being for potions.

To me there is little doubt that they could come up with a system that is more clear and logical for new players.

May 29, 2020
Montreal, QC
what if you remove reserves? keep the grey bars over hp and stam/mana and have the food heal the grey bars right away instead of healing reserves? the grey bars on your hp would come from just taking more and more damage, stam loses would come from hunger(grey bar appear when you are lower than half hunger) using mana will give greybar overtime. so running around as much as you want wont cause stam loses only when ur character gets hungry (also serve as hunger indicator lol)

switch thirst* for "alchemical tolerence" when your tolerence become 0/10 you become tolerent to your potions and they dont affect you untill ur tolerence go back to 10/10 (you could also switch number around..make 0/10 your starting value lol)

if you eat a certain amount of health or mana food your character become "well fed" and cannot lose hard stats for a while? stamina will still go grey below 50% hunger cuz as long as your well fed*** you're not supposed to lose stam lol

so you wont have to eat as often as in mo1, only to keep ur hunger up when ur not up and about pvping or exploring. the result of using health food or mana food during pvp will let you mitigate the stat loses. so you still end up needing to eat less than in mo1

its a good suggestion no?

Reactions: ThaBadMan

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
what if you remove reserves? keep the grey bars over hp and stam/mana and have the food heal the grey bars right away instead of healing reserves? the grey bars on your hp would come from just taking more and more damage, stam loses would come from hunger(grey bar appear when you are lower than half hunger) using mana will give greybar overtime. so running around as much as you want wont cause stam loses only when ur character gets hungry (also serve as hunger indicator lol)

switch thirst* for "alchemical tolerence" when your tolerence become 0/10 you become tolerent to your potions and they dont affect you untill ur tolerence go back to 10/10 (you could also switch number around..make 0/10 your starting value lol)

if you eat a certain amount of health or mana food your character become "well fed" and cannot lose hard stats for a while? stamina will still go grey below 50% hunger cuz as long as your well fed*** you're not supposed to lose stam lol

so you wont have to eat as often as in mo1, only to keep ur hunger up when ur not up and about pvping or exploring. the result of using health food or mana food during pvp will let you mitigate the stat loses. so you still end up needing to eat less than in mo1

its a good suggestion no?
That sounds alot better.
All depending on times ofc. If I can eat right after logging in and wont have to eat again until next login say next time its alright. Wont interrupt or hinder gameplay.
Once a day is imo more than enough for a game.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
Very few players knew the cooking system very well and *almost* nobody had any way of calculating results to any degree of accuracy. In fact, i doubt anyone at SV really knows the cooking/alchemy systems very well and/or how/why they work. Its a relic left over from Mats' old design days and one he never finished, so far as i know. It really shows in the types/values of new materials that have been added over the years... one op ingredient after the other, theres no balance in it.

SV has a chance to fix this... someone can take up the 'game designer' hat and truly understand the design Mats had in mind for this and either adjust it to give more materials more purpose or revamp it to make something altogether different.

more towards the OP now, it would make more sense for this kind of thing to happen using the 'combine' skill rather than cooking, just due to nature of how 'ingredients' and 'completed foods' are considered.

-barcode

Status
Not open for further replies.