35 devs from Sweden released a great open world PvP game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

actetto

Apr 21, 2022
V Rising was developed and published by a group of 35 devs from Sweden. The PvP is fun because it has good fundamentals:

1. AoE damage, AoE slows, AoE push/knockback, etc...
It's an open world game, with mechanics for fighting groups of players. AOE is just a basic staple of video game combat that MO2 completely leaves out for some reason.

2. Long CC that breaks on damage.
Another staple of the MMO genre for decades, this type of CC rewards coordination and is inherently anti-zerg - especially when the game has AOE.
Coordinated groups are able to even the odds by keeping enemies in CC longer, whereas auto-pilot zergs are constantly breaking this kind of CC and gain little benefit from it. For some reason, MO2 has no CC of any kind.

3. Kiting and gank-escape
In V Rising, if you play well, you can escape a gank. This is a very important layer of "fairness" for outnumbered PvP that exists in other games like EVE and WoW.
You don't necessarily have to kill everyone 1vX, you just need to play it smart and get away. If you kite the fast guys away from the slow guys, you can get a quick pick and turn the tables. This is bread and butter outnumbered PvP gameplay.

MO2 has Alvarins holding W versus not-Alvarins holding W (Assuming no horses are present for some reason).

In V Rising, people can show up with more gear and more numbers and take your boss, take your camp, push you out. But, you actually stand a good chance of keeping your loot and gear if you know what you're doing. It's similar in EVE. It's the opposite in Mortal.

4. Counter VS. PARRY
V Rising has a number of counter/block abilities that work on the same principle of point number 2. When you counter in V Rising, you counter everyone hitting you and you gain big advantage. The more people spamming stuff at you, the easier it is to get that advantage and the bigger the advantage gets. On the flip side, if you miss your counter you are left vulnerable, and in 1v1s counters are far harder to use and easier to punish.

Parry is the worst feature in all of MO2. It completely breaks 1v1, completely breaks PvE, completely breaks down in 1vX. V Rising counters have the gameplay function that MO2's parry should have.

TLDR: 35 people at Stunlock Studios made some good PvP. Starvault has 5 less people according to Henrik, but they should really take some inspiration from their neighbors and improve the PvP in Mortal. The basic idea behind good open-world PvP? Lots of features that scale in usefulness against uncoordinated zergs. AOE, CC, kiting, parry system that is better against a zergs and worse against a single player.

Reactions: tal0s

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
Hows the open pvp work tho? The make or break for open pvp games for me is that most mmo's only have pvp areas and no looting and stuff. Which is why they do well, I might add. But when they arent real open pvp it removes the thrill for me. If they managed to make a half decent open pvp feel while still being successful then I may give it a shot.

Gulith

Apr 5, 2021
not an mmo.
so yes, when you have way more devs, and you don't have to bother with the nightmare of MASSIVENESS in a network game solution ... then everything else is polished ...

Reactions: Jackdstripper

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Hows the open pvp work tho? The make or break for open pvp games for me is that most mmo's only have pvp areas and no looting and stuff. Which is why they do well, I might add. But when they arent real open pvp it removes the thrill for me. If they managed to make a half decent open pvp feel while still being successful then I may give it a shot.

You can kill anyone anywhere in the game. I've been playing it myself recently. It's pretty fun but a lot different than MO2. The biggest problem with the game is probably that all progress is tied to boss fights. And often times the bosses are being camped by people much higher level and better geared then you so yeah. Can't really progress if one toxic person is killing everyone that goes to the starter bosses that you NEED to kill to progress

tal0s

Sep 5, 2021
Its pretty darn good, pve servers, pvp servers where you keep your weapons but lose inv, or hardcore lose it all like this. Base raiding etc.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
Hmm my friend is trying it out. If he thinks I'll like it he will get me to get it haha. What I dont like is that its pvp servers vs pve servers. I like when all different types of players are out in the world, vs PVP'ers only. But obviously, this style is much better for the game. PVE players who dont want to die dont. So its fair.

also the pvp looting servers say group of 4 recommended. Which is a bad sign cuz I'm a group of 2. I've heard a lot of mixed stuff about the game. Some make it sound like an mmo but others more like an arena game without mmo progression. So no idea what the game actually is. But it seems to be doing really well.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Hmm my friend is trying it out. If he thinks I'll like it he will get me to get it haha. What I dont like is that its pvp servers vs pve servers. I like when all different types of players are out in the world, vs PVP'ers only. But obviously, this style is much better for the game. PVE players who dont want to die dont. So its fair.

also the pvp looting servers say group of 4 recommended. Which is a bad sign cuz I'm a group of 2. I've heard a lot of mixed stuff about the game. Some make it sound like an mmo but others more like an arena game without mmo progression. So no idea what the game actually is. But it seems to be doing really well.

I like the game but I will say ive never encountered such a petty, horrible community in my entire life even having played many open world PVP games and even MOBA games for a while. People will completely backstab you after agreeing to help each other kill a boss or such for no reason. People just trash talk over your dead body after teaming up on you and killing you while being 20 levels higher. Etc. Best to just deal with it by being calm and polite and not giving them what they want but jesus christ. I feel like people are much nicer in full-loot games because well- it's important to have friends. But in this game people are the worst, just assume everyone is going to stab you in the back for absolutely no reason

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
I like the game but I will say ive never encountered such a petty, horrible community in my entire life even having played many open world PVP games and even MOBA games for a while. People will completely backstab you after agreeing to help each other kill a boss or such for no reason. People just trash talk over your dead body after teaming up on you and killing you while being 20 levels higher. Etc. Best to just deal with it by being calm and polite and not giving them what they want but jesus christ. I feel like people are much nicer in full-loot games because well- it's important to have friends. But in this game people are the worst, just assume everyone is going to stab you in the back for absolutely no reason
Ya when bugs me with survival style games is there's so many diff servers. People don't need to worry about rep, you just go find a new server and do it again. I was just watching a vid of a guy playing on pvp mode to see what the games like. He watched these 2 guys fight a boss with his pvp turned off. Then when they got low he turned pvp on and killed them both. Which to me is just stupid.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Ya when bugs me with survival style games is there's so many diff servers. People don't need to worry about rep, you just go find a new server and do it again. I was just watching a vid of a guy playing on pvp mode to see what the games like. He watched these 2 guys fight a boss with his pvp turned off. Then when they got low he turned pvp on and killed them both. Which to me is just stupid.

Yeah happens a lot in V since progression is tied to killing bosses. Certainly happened to me a few times. Like I don't mind getting killed in a PvP game but I'm always shocked at the length some people will go just to stab you in the back in a video game for no reason

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
If you like top down just go play Albion. Its free, its massive its thriving, its….meh, top down.

Took one look at this V game and said nope, hard pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.