1 hand and Shield

druez

Jan 9, 2022
New player, I was watching the duels from the apocalypse event the other day. It seemed everyone used 2 handed weapons. Are 1 hand weapons and shields not viable for PVP? Does everyone run around with 2 handed weapons and heavy armor?

Komodor

Jul 11, 2020
Blocking with shield drains more stamina. Spear + shield is very viable. And every mage should have shield on his back

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Spears + Shield are viable in group fights. A lot hybrid & mages use daggers (with and without shield).
1h weapons usually consume more stamina than 2h weapons of the same weight, and got less reach. Blocking with shield drains also more stam than with a 2h weapon. And 1h animations are usually easier to read.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Rolufe

Jun 1, 2020
Shields also make you easier to land hits on, as your hitbox gets larger. It can however be used to redirect damage to your chest. It acts as a second layer of armor for the chest, as long as the shield is the part that takes the hit.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Probably similar to real life where spear and shield is a war weapon not a dueling weapon. If everyone was swinging their big swords in a group fight they'd cut their allies head off

[CTX] Contractor

Dec 31, 2021
One handed weapons need to be slightly faster and use less stamina.

They've been slowly going in the right direction with them, but until they can compete full on with two handers you likely won't ever see them outside of someone purposely handicapping themselves with it or 'for fun'.

Rolufe

Jun 1, 2020
Probably similar to real life where spear and shield is a war weapon not a dueling weapon. If everyone was swinging their big swords in a group fight they'd cut their allies head off
There was dueling shields 😅 Like long shields with metal spikes on the ends 😀

D

Deleted member 44

I would like to see higher piercing values on 1H sword as this is historically how they were used in combat when coupled with a shield. Maybe add a gladius head type that would have spear like piercing while maintaining good slash damage. High end shields are very good, and they are only going to get better as they add different shield types.

Reactions: Rolufe

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Shields also cut your damage considerably (compared to 2h). Most people would rather have the extra damage and reach since you can parry just as good without a shiled. This of course goes for duels and small scale fights.

in larger battles, where there is a lot more chaos, shields become much more useful as they protect from random arrows and attacks you dont see ( from left side). Also when you turn and run the shield will protect your back.

Reactions: Rolufe

druez

Jan 9, 2022
So what about 2 handed hammers? I didn't see any of those used that I could make out.

I've always liked to play hammer users with or without a shield. Either 2 handed hammers, or mace/shield style. I played a ton of For Honor and I loved the conqueror class and the prior (think it was called that sword and shield dude) and the Warlord, viking sword and shield.

Rolufe

Jun 1, 2020
So what about 2 handed hammers? I didn't see any of those used that I could make out.

I've always liked to play hammer users with or without a shield. Either 2 handed hammers, or mace/shield style. I played a ton of For Honor and I loved the conqueror class and the prior (think it was called that sword and shield dude) and the Warlord, viking sword and shield.
Hammers are quite good but mostly only vs plate armor as lighter mats tend to have decent blunt protection. Warhammers is quite fast and decent damage. In MO1 warhammers where one of the strongest weapons due to it always dealing damage torugh parries much more than most other weapons of its weight class.

Last edited:
Reactions: druez

Shadowmist

Dec 19, 2021
I think the main issue is that there's a bug that prevents your weapon from taking durability damage when you parry, which means the durability only goes down when you attack, essentially making low dura two hand weapons way too viable.

When this is fixed I can't wait to see players shocked when their two handers break twice as fast, and then we'll start seeing shields as a viable option.