Combat is boring, a note to Henrik.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Combat does need MASSIVE changes but don't come in acting like you're hot shit who needs to be bowed down to and preaching the whole "only pvpers play" garbage. Main reason most players were pvpers so long in mo1 was because SV did nothing to cater to other types of players.

Even though plenty others do that exactly except from the other side.

This is a combat alpha, I think players who have played MO1 and other melee-slasher titles should be listened to-to some degree for balance and or fun sake. Didn't ask you to bow down. Never said only pvpers play either, but technically speaking in a full loot, hardcore mmo everyone is technically a pvper whether they want to or not. I don't think a single player has ever /not/ been attacked and or griefed.

I'm aware of the abysmal PvE in the game, because a lot of people who focused on PvP had to acquire their resources some how and therefore spent a lot of time doing it. Most PvP'ers in these kinds of games usually do the same if not more PvE content then the actual PvE people themselves. It just isn't as consistent.

But yeah, I can basically stand and parry all day and not die. That's not acting like hot shit, that is just an objective statement of the combat as other people can do it just as easily who are way less mechanically skilled.

Reactions: Snasen

Wesley Snipes

May 28, 2020
But yeah, I can basically stand and parry all day and not die. That's not acting like hot shit, that is just an objective statement of the combat as other people can do it just as easily who are way less mechanically skilled.

They're supposed to be working on unblockable / parry punishable attacks, so that should solve that issue. MO2 is as fast in terms of combat as it's network and technical limitations allow it to be I'm guessing. That might not be the hot sauce for a lot of vets, but I'm guessing there really aren't enough veterans around to base a game off of.

Javelin

Nov 13, 2020
Combat does need MASSIVE changes but don't come in acting like you're hot shit who needs to be bowed down to and preaching the whole "only pvpers play" garbage. Main reason most players were pvpers so long in mo1 was because SV did nothing to cater to other types of players.
Relax dude, a good combat experience is beneficial to everyone not just pvpers. If the whole "hardcore mmo" thing is meant to appeal to a PvE demographic then they need to fire their marketing guy.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
It's pretty hilarious to hear that sv didn't do things for non PVP ers. What about Sarducca and the tc bullshit? They needed to focus more on combat.
And need to now in MO2 in the same way.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
It's pretty hilarious to hear that sv didn't do things for non PVP ers. What about Sarducca and the tc bullshit? They needed to focus more on combat.

Magic Patches, Pets, Placeable Guards, New Crafting - yeah, you make a pretty valid point haha.

Reactions: Rorry

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
They're supposed to be working on unblockable / parry punishable attacks, so that should solve that issue. MO2 is as fast in terms of combat as it's network and technical limitations allow it to be I'm guessing. That might not be the hot sauce for a lot of vets, but I'm guessing there really aren't enough veterans around to base a game off of.

From my point of view, I never look to make a game for MO1 vets. I want the game to appeal to all players by promoting skill, which in turn will result in the equation of playing / practicing more > getting better and gradually learning more things. Not everyone succeeds in this, but the vast majority should if the combat is built and balanced right.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Don't you all take it personally, I'm still neutral about combat changes compared to MO1, but it's getting a little boring seeing X threads about combat speed again :)
Then dont read them. I care very much about the way PvP will work in this game. This is the perfect time to make things better before tons of people are exposed to something bad then never come back.

Reactions: Rorry

Vakirauta

May 28, 2020
Poland
Then dont read them. I care very much about the way PvP will work in this game. This is the perfect time to make things better before tons of people are exposed to something bad then never come back.

I don't to be honest, but do you believe they will make any changes towards making it faster except maybe adding special moves?

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Been saying it for months upon months, but it seems the larger Alpha audience wants slow granpa easymode combat so they dont have to die horribly every time they meet a PvPer. Its sad really that so many want to ruin what MO is all about. Skill based fast paced combat in a MMO.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Been saying it for months upon months, but it seems the larger Alpha audience wants slow granpa easymode combat so they dont have to die horribly every time they meet a PvPer. Its sad really that so many want to ruin what MO is all about. Skill based fast paced combat in a MMO.

Misrepresenting their argument won´t help your cause.

The actual argument is that the limitations on swing- and movementspeed are put in place to reduce desync.

In the current patch there is still a lot of warping, broken animations and other problems. So I don´t think it is a "mission accomplished" even when your only goal is to improve desync.

Combat feedback is notoriously hard to interpret and you have to consider that Henrik stated many times that the "majority" of players tells him combat right now is the best it has ever been.

Malathion

May 29, 2020
Perfect - speed movement and move the server to NA. ;)
2 servers - speed up combat.
Myrland NA server / Norveld other

Last edited:

Rulant

May 30, 2020
Magic Patches, Pets, Placeable Guards, New Crafting - yeah, you make a pretty valid point haha.
These things were bad even to a PvE or RP focused player who has half a brain with how the AI worked in MO.

Once again I NEVER said that they shouldn't make combat good... I enjoy the PvP in games massively, especially MO.

Reactions: Kardaka

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
Without more engaging combat this game will be a castle building simulator. If they are designing around ping then have an na and eu server. In last oasis i play on the server furthest from me in na and i have 40 ping. Ping is not an excuse for crap combat mechanics.

Last oasis is a very similar type of game from a programming perspective. Its open world with fast paced combat. I understand it cant be as fast as mordhau but it can be at least as fast or faster than mo1 which was on an older ue4. Bottom line is if combat is boring people won’t play except for those who just wanna rp and build castles. There are other ways to design for ping and player numbers. Split the world into tile zones, cap the number of players to a tile and cap the number of guild members like last oasis did so they could keep fast paced combat.
No need to compare the last oasis and mortal, these are two different games. the last oasis is many clusters and instances of 100 people per oasis and mortal is a seamless world. the last oasis is not an example for comparison at all, I can say this because I played enough time in it and led one of the largest Russian-speaking guilds (North Order) at the start of the project.

In the current battle, I personally am not satisfied with how the block and the swing speed of the weapon work. If we compare the 2 types of combat, a duel and a mass duel, then for a duel the battle seems slow, if we talk about a mass battle, the speed of the battle is quite satisfactory, since in a mass battle you act more tactically and do not spam with a sword to the right and to the left.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Misrepresenting their argument won´t help your cause.

The actual argument is that the limitations on swing- and movementspeed are put in place to reduce desync.

In the current patch there is still a lot of warping, broken animations and other problems. So I don´t think it is a "mission accomplished" even when your only goal is to improve desync.

Combat feedback is notoriously hard to interpret and you have to consider that Henrik stated many times that the "majority" of players tells him combat right now is the best it has ever been.
Lets just say theres more teleportation, warping, frozen players, humanoid bug, desync etcetc now than when combat was faster.
Just because the server cant handle things dont mean we should handicap the combat system and take away one of the biggest selling points of the game.

MO was the most active when combat was fast paced, stability the worst and desync rampant, in off hours the game was very stable.

Combat was blamed and the game got easy, slow and turned into a second job sim. People quit and the server was more stable.
In their confusing minds SV and fanbois thought it was the combat that was the issue, but then every time MO got some pop back the server got unstable, mounts worked in low pop times but was alot faster than foot speed.

Again why ruin one of the biggest selling points and no doubt its most unique feature when you gain nothing by breaking it ?

I have yet to hear that combat looks great from videos from ex MO players who didnt love the turd it became. All share the same feedback, combat looks slow, clunky and parrywhore based.
Most didnt like parrywhoring in MO so why keep it in MO2 ?

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Perfect - speed movement and move the server to NA. ;)
2 servers - speed up combat.
Myrland NA server / Norveld other
I would have no problem with a NA server even with Myrland same as EU one but only if/when SV got enough numbers for it.

I dont want 2 servers with empty game worlds due to splitting the tiny pop in essentially 2 games.

Vakirauta

May 28, 2020
Poland
I can imagine the new problems will generate such idea if they potentially split the community.

"Game is dead" (again) for two different servers, "I can't go to other continent cause Im having lags there" for spliting servers between ingame continents. It looks good only on paper ;)

Reactions: Kardaka

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Why is it every time someone tries to draw a comparison between two games some fucking guy has to come in and go...

"well acskhuallly they arent t-t he s-same game iiiidiot!!"

We're fucking aware, genius. That doesn't MEAN we can't look at another game and what it does and then take it as an idea, re-balance or re-fit it to fit something for MO2, and present it as a potential solution or as a way to highlight a specific issue within MO2.

Just because people compare MO2 and Mordhau doesn't mean MO2 needs to be exactly like Mordhau or that you need to keep beating this dead horse of "well mordhau is a lobby game and MO2 is a massive mmorpg blah blah blah".

You do nothing but reinforce others ideas by saying dumb shit like this, it isn't any kind of logical counter other then trying to strawman peoples constructive criticism.

FOR EXAMPLE.

I made the comparison that Mordhau USED to have fast combat, with super loose to no turn caps that felt at all restrictive. But then, people (A big casual crowd) came in and complained about it. So what did they do? They made the combat slower and made the turn caps more restrictive. They made it so people could parry kicks, they made it so people could wear basically what ever armor they want and use what ever armor they want killing the 'roles' people filled in competitive play.

How is looking at Mordhau and thinking about all of this even remotely saying "and thats why mo2 needs to be like Mordhau". Because guess what? It doesn't need to be. I don't want the combat slowed down, I don't want super restrictive turn caps, I don't want anyone to just be able to wear and use what ever they like with little to no penalty - just no.

It's like someone said earlier, even with all these changes the game desyncs the same (and even more for me) then previous patches. How hilarious is that? You guys want the combat to be slow, and continually defend it but the fact of the matter is people still desync, people still slide around, get stuck in place, animations disappear or randomly speed up / slow down. Only problem is now no one can die in a 1v1 if they don't want to and even more hilarious players can survive in group fights easier because parrying 3 people isn't even remotely that hard. Now imagine a mage just healing you in the process of all that. How the fuck is that balanced? Someone dives into your group, makes a big mistake and can't finish; then runs back into their group as the enemy team dives him and they can't finish him because the game feels like we're stuck in quick sand with arthritis and tetanus.

It's just baffling. You guys think 'special moves' are going to save the combat, and you know what will happen if they keep the combat the same? The moves will come out, and they'll either be super negligible in a fight or extremely abusable / broken encouraging the idea of gear / numbers > skill. Quote me on it when this happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.