Bandages - Community Discussion

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
Many games like Life is Feudal and Wurm have this same mechanic, except even harsher heal times. Why would no one use bandages when it is still a cheap way to heal albeit slower? If you want quicker heals, you can get potions.

If anything, this would create a higher demand for potions and make crafting thereof a trade competitive with weapon and armor crafting.

You need to stop thinking so shallow and broaden your horizons.

No one would use bandages if they took 15-30 minutes....just rest for free and you've healed 200-300 health in < 3 minutes

I don't think you have room to talk about thinking shallowly.

Rolufe

Jun 1, 2020
Literally nobody would use bandages. Nice.

PSA: Think about things before you post them.

I agree to that. However, you have to call things out when they blatantly hinder any chance of fighting outnumbered. Its not so much about 1vX as it is about smaller group vs larger group. At the end of the day player skill should always come into play...and giving or taking away tools to deal with bad situations is usually bad. Thats why nobody likes 1 shots or mounteds vs foot...because there is no counter-play. (not that this really applies to anything in this thread its really just more of a general statement)
Only counters to one shot kills tends to be, predicting it trough experience, statistics, gut feeling or having more numbers, so your unit can still deal with it. Im honestly fine with this. I deem recruiting to be part of the skills you need in MO. If you like to play as a small group of friends in MO2 i think you require to be in a bigger alliance joining their forces as a squad considering how big guilds seems to be in MO2.

I do agree that being hit ones and die isnt fun, but if the game is setup in a way that it dont matter. Its fine again. Like in MO2 where we may even bring pack animals/wagons for fights, with back up equipment to reequip revived fighters. Most guilds tend to have people that isnt all into the fighting and rather stay back and heal/revive or do something else to support.

Everyone is under the same rules. The high healing in MO1 made certain "classes"/weapons kind of useless. Archers/bows became a nearly useless. Its greatest use was against pets and mounts and a odd anti siege engine counter using fire arrows. Would also be nice if it got to a point where its useful having 20-40 arrows in quiver rather than having hundreds if not thousands to be viable. It was mainly good in numbers and against mounts and pets as they had big hitboxes and wasnt always able to be healed. It was also not giving you that much more of advantage having the skills in it. partially as longbows canceled out the head weakspot skill, as it wasn't able to get weakspots.

• Haha
Reactions: ElPerro and Rulant

Rulant

May 30, 2020
Only counters to one shot kills tends to be, predicting it trough experience, statistics, gut feeling or having more numbers, so your unit can still deal with it. Im honestly fine with this. I deem recruiting to be part of the skills you need in MO. If you like to play as a small group of friends in MO2 i think you require to be in a bigger alliance joining their forces as a squad considering how big guilds seems to be in MO2.

I do agree that being hit ones and die isnt fun, but if the game is setup in a way that it dont matter. Its fine again. Like in MO2 where we may even bring pack animals/wagons for fights, with back up equipment to reequip revived fighters. Most guilds tend to have people that isnt all into the fighting and rather stay back and heal/revive or do something else to support.

Everyone is under the same rules. The high healing in MO1 made certain "classes"/weapons kind of useless. Archers/bows became a nearly useless. Its greatest use was against pets and mounts and a odd anti siege engine counter using fire arrows. Would also be nice if it got to a point where its useful having 20-40 arrows in quiver rather than having hundreds if not thousands to be viable. It was mainly good in numbers and against mounts and pets as they had big hitboxes and wasnt always able to be healed. It was also not giving you that much more of advantage having the skills in it. partially as longbows canceled out the head weakspot skill, as it wasn't able to get weakspots.
Nobody is saying archery shouldn't be viable but cutting everyones legs off to make em the same size as the 'little person' is more detrimental than just giving him stilts. Support in MO is mostly magic. Magic and have the people go heal horses with bandages when the people cycle back for it. Weakspots aint the way to fix archery tho.

Rolufe

Jun 1, 2020
Nobody is saying archery shouldn't be viable but cutting everyones legs off to make em the same size as the 'little person' is more detrimental than just giving him stilts. Support in MO is mostly magic. Magic and have the people go heal horses with bandages when the people cycle back for it. Weakspots aint the way to fix archery tho.
No but weakspots was the one point people mention when they say archery was somewhat functional as a character class. Making bandages not heal or make them heal over time. isnt really cutting people legs xD Its making potions the goto heal for most people and magic the prefererad heal. I also agree that potions should be heal over time as well. Making magic the only burst heal.

Rolufe

Jun 1, 2020
Not sure what i think of the 15-30 min heal over. I was thinking something more like 20hp or so over a 30sec to 2 min or removing the heal and it only seals bleeds and maybe along some similar heal over time effect. Either way it brings potions more into the mainstream healing item. But potions needs to be heal over time as well. It was basically a exploit for pets in MO1 as you healed it fully in one go. It then was changed to heal over time for pets. So i think it should be deemed the same for the player.

Reactions: Pierre

Pierre

Sep 7, 2020
Not sure what i think of the 15-30 min heal over. I was thinking something more like 20hp or so over a 30sec to 2 min or removing the heal and it only seals bleeds and maybe along some similar heal over time effect. Either way it brings potions more into the mainstream healing item. But potions needs to be heal over time as well. It was basically a exploit for pets in MO1 as you healed it fully in one go. It then was changed to heal over time for pets. So i think it should be deemed the same for the player.
I was suggesting a higher healing amount over that timeframe, say in the range of 50-100 hp? That is comparable to 20hp/2 minutes as you are suggesting.

Reactions: Rolufe

Rolufe

Jun 1, 2020
I was suggesting a higher healing amount over that timeframe, say in the range of 50-100 hp? That is comparable to 20hp/2 minutes as you are suggesting.
I wrote a long text about me not liking the idea but then i changed my mind long period of heals with bandages and or pots is probably preferable over. strong heals during short periods of time. Since if you pop a heal bandage or potion that heal a decent amount within 30sec to 2 min. you could technically heal, run into combat and fight, stam up and while running into combat again just pop another heal. So you barely lose HP while fighting. so longer periods of healing for less amounts would be a preferable way.

Im expecting there to be plenty of potion types having health over time effects with different hp over x time. Short time pots would heal more in a few sec where as a long time pot would heal way more but over a longer period of time. so you would have a 25-50 hp pot heal around 5 sec where as you would have another heal 200 over the course of 30min. now im not sure any of these numbers would work properly but the idéa is sound.

But bandages kind of lose their place if there isnt bleed effects.

Edit: The problem is when you reach heals over 30 sec or something like that that heals a chunk as then it becomes like a temporary magic shield.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
We could just make this simple.

For example, bandages are channeled healing 10 health per second over 5 seconds totaling up to 50 health. (values are placeholders)

Other than that there is no difference from MO1. My goal was to avoid having 0 visual indication that someone is bandaging and removing RNG completely. We don't even have to overcomplicate it with whether or not you're moving or standing still.

It's easier to start small and build on an idea than it is to start large and take things away.

The important point is that you have to able to keep sprinting/running while using a bandage. Which makes it inherently unrealistic and would benefit from renaming. I do not know why people are so stuck to the name. It has been stupid for the last 10 years, how about we make it stop now?

Animations for any kind of action would be appreciated. I don´t mind it lowering the skill ceiling in a tactical sense.

---

SV listened to people like Aralis who only cared for huge alliances the last time and see how well it worked out. A large group will always have enough of advantage by being able to throw bodies at any given task. You don´t have to design the game in a way that pushes in the teeth of any small group fighting back further.

Good sandbox design would enable small groups to have influence by organisation and skill. If you design everything around alliances the game will be dead after each server war.

Havin to tell a new player: Join one of the biggest guilds or you won´t have fun is not a good marketing strategy.

Rolufe

Jun 1, 2020
Bandages.

I press 1.

Couple seconds later i get healed. (With dope animation)

"Fix" the game later.

Lets keep it simple.

This is the time as later they dont wanna be working with this basic stuff. Also they dont wanna change already existing things. Henrik Mentioned this a few times trough my Q&A.

The important point is that you have to able to keep sprinting/running while using a bandage. Which makes it inherently unrealistic and would benefit from renaming. I do not know why people are so stuck to the name. It has been stupid for the last 10 years, how about we make it stop now?

Animations for any kind of action would be appreciated. I don´t mind it lowering the skill ceiling in a tactical sense.

---

SV listened to people like Aralis who only cared for huge alliances the last time and see how well it worked out. A large group will always have enough of advantage by being able to throw bodies at any given task. You don´t have to design the game in a way that pushes in the teeth of any small group fighting back further.

Good sandbox design would enable small groups to have influence by organisation and skill. If you design everything around alliances the game will be dead after each server war.

Havin to tell a new player: Join one of the biggest guilds or you won´t have fun is not a good marketing strategy.
This is incorrect. Aralis was all about staying in a quite corner with no value and having his "close nit" group in dungeons. Like D&D. Anything else is just old "RPK!" propaganda.

Last edited:

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
What about the 1vX? When you get to a safe spot by using terrain or something and you bandy/heal/pot/stam up and then reset.
Well what do you think ?
Would it be easier to kill 5 targets with 50, 500 or 5000 HP ?

I would say the group of 5 with 50 HP each is the easiest by far no matter how you look at it. But I know some of you dont think logical so its up to you what you take from that.

You've never been good at a pvp game then if you think no healing makes 1vX possible. If a group of MAs run up on you are you supposed to just be dunked? Get shot with 2 arrows be half health make it into mountains with people on your ass and what? Charge 2 or 3 full health guys with half health and no way to heal? Mortal isn't the game and will never be the game it was on release and living in the past of "what was possible" is idiotic compared to "what is possible". The game changed as all games do. And if you can't kill people who get low health then you need to get better at focused melee or your mages need to go back to school. Ain't nobody gettin away from my fireballs.
Again who are you arguing with here ? Who has said to have no healing in a MMORPG ?

You wont win against those MAs on foot with 100 500 hp potions, mass healing is never the answer. Dont cross the open steppe on foot if scared of pew pew MAs...

If you cant stay alive without mass healing to give you eternal life, why not train and get better at survival ? Why need artificial systems to fight for you ?

I don't even know where to begin. I feel like you're too far gone...

This game is FAR different than early MO days. So trying to base your argument on decade old content is just dumb. I have said what I would be fine with a few posts up.

As far as fighting zergs being easier in the early days...I agree with you. Old days the TTK was also a LOT lower which made it possible to quickly focus someone down. My point was about the nerf to bandages. It was the potions and higher TTK that made players be able to mindlessly fight and have multiple lives over and over. It was never bandages lmfao.

Again...nobody is talking about the pre-dawn days dude.
Someone obviously need to learn from MO1s failure.

Why should you copy paste a game thats been on life support waiting for the death message for close to a decade ?

Why not learn from mistakes and repair them for the next iteration of the game and hopefully make it succeed instead of dying a slow painful death again ?

My arguements are from the experience of MOs lifespan not my personal wants and desires like you who obviously want mass healing back to be able to survive group fights from your allies heals.

I simply want a hard skill based game where you have to train to be good, you obviously want a game where other players can carry you through the fights. Personally its not a good look fyi!

BTW: TTK is lower in MO2 than in MO1. But parries are easier so might even itself out.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Well what do you think ?
Would it be easier to kill 5 targets with 50, 500 or 5000 HP ?

I would say the group of 5 with 50 HP each is the easiest by far no matter how you look at it. But I know some of you dont think logical so its up to you what you take from that.
I guess it really depends, how bad are their mages? Its a weird analogy because if you also have 5000 hp my answer is simply I don't know.

I can see it both ways really, if you can't reset thats a problem because they can whittle you down but if multiple targets are resetting constantly that's also difficult.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
I guess it really depends, how bad are their mages? Its a weird analogy because if you also have 5000 hp my answer is simply I don't know.

I can see it both ways really, if you can't reset thats a problem because they can whittle you down but if multiple targets are resetting constantly that's also difficult.
Lets go.

Its you(Tek the Warrior) against 5 enemy warriors.
You are slightly more skilled and would beat each easily in 1v1s, all in same equips.

Each of you have 50HP.
or
Each of you have 50HP pluss potions worth 500hp.
or
Each of you have 50HP pluss potions worth 5000hp.

Which of the 3 scenarios will you most likely win.

My point is that in the first scenario your skills will most of the time make you do best due to less errors allowed for you lesser skilled enemies.

The more "lives" your enemies gets, the more likely they are to get lucky and bypass your superior skill vs their superior numbers.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Lets go.

You are slightly more skilled and would beat each easily in 1v1s, all in same equips.

Each of you have 50HP.
or
or

My point is that in the first scenario your skills will most of the time make you do best due to less errors allowed for you lesser skilled enemies.

The more "lives" your enemies gets, the more likely they are to get lucky and bypass your superior skill vs their superior numbers.

A "slightly" more skilled fighter should be able to beat 5 opponents - that´s insane.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
A "slightly" more skilled fighter should be able to beat 5 opponents - that´s insane.
In a game about skill, yes. But thats not the intent here.

The intent is to show how much worse it is to kill 5 targets with mass healing opposed to low amount of healing.

The last example being 5k HP vs 25k HP on the differing sides, and still you have imbeciles in here thinking more healing is better for small scale skilled groups which imo is retarded.
They seem to think the more healing YOU yourself have the enemies wont also have.

It is way easier to click a button and heal than it is to chase and finish off targets in a zerg group. So the more healing the easier it is for zerglings to stay alive and make sure the small group has 0 chance to win.

Now with 0 healing a small group of elites will kill alot more enemies than the zerglings will just because of skill alone. No chance for errors and individuals will shine more than with many chances of errors.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Lets go.

Each of you have 50HP.
or
or

I see the logic,

Seems like the thread is talking about two different things

Forced stationary healing vs just a flat reduction in healing like you’re saying.

Lesser heals for 10 would make it hard to clutch heal someone who’s getting stickied by a bunch of ppl or mounted, so as a mage main that would be a concern for me.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
less heals also massively favors the ganker, giving the person who gets jumped a lot less chance to recover. maybe you consider that the fault of the gankee, not paying attention to their surroundsings, but i think it happens to all of us now and again, you cant be uber vigilant forever.

also consider: hotpots

I think rather than discussing simply bandaids, this should be a broader conversation about combat healing in general (which some have brought the conversation around to already so thats good).

if bandaids are made to be channelled and require you to be stationary for the duration, theres certainly situations where you can get a couple ticks off even with people chasing you.

some would consider it a nerf and perhaps it is, but maybe pots should be less rare to compensate. Back in the day, potions were generally too expensive to bother to stock up on. partially because bandages were cheap and plentiful, partially because it took a ton of gathering to make them and noone really wanted to bother.

if low grade potions were cheap and plentiful (still player crafted but inexpensive to stock up on and bring with you as a matter of course) then your total combat healing wouldnt take much of a hit.

-barcode