What's the difference between exploiting/abusing and sandbox mechanic?

MrDodger

Feb 16, 2022
When a player on a horse interrupts other players' duels by bodyblocking them, it is considered abusing the game mechanic and is therefore bannable. However, if you report a player for doing the same without a horse, just on foot, GMs will respond that it is a sandbox mechanic. Can anybody explain the difference?

Robmo

Community Manager
Staff member
Dec 9, 2021
There is currently no way to legally move a players creature/pet. This is the same policy with using horses to block bank doors for example. If you could move pets safely, then I think the GMs would lift this rule.

MrDodger

Feb 16, 2022
There is currently no way to legally move a players creature/pet. This is the same policy with using horses to block bank doors for example. If you could move pets safely, then I think the GMs would lift this rule.
Oh, I understand now. Are you suggesting that in this sandbox game, duelers are expected to counteract griefers by pushing them out with block and attack? Right in the middle of the duel? And they only have a limited number of these "pushes" before turning grey?
And the entire concept of griefing players in this way falls under the definition of sandbox "because he can," but casting a particular magic spell introduced by developers inside a town is not considered sandbox but abusing?

Last edited:

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
If the same ass keeps jumping into your duels just to be a douche bag, report him for harassment and also get your guild mates or friends to report him. Dont need to rant, just state clearly what he is doing, that you have asked him to stop and that he wont stop.

Eventually he will have a shit ton of reports for harassment and he will get a warning and eventually get banned.

Its the only way to deal with these individual that take pleasure only when they can make others suffer. Too many of them find a home in this game.

MrDodger

Feb 16, 2022
If the same ass keeps jumping into your duels just to be a douche bag, report him for harassment and also get your guild mates or friends to report him. Dont need to rant, just state clearly what he is doing, that you have asked him to stop and that he wont stop.

Eventually he will have a shit ton of reports for harassment and he will get a warning and eventually get banned.

Its the only way to deal with these individual that take pleasure only when they can make others suffer. Too many of them find a home in this game.
Of course I reported him a lot of times. And GM Majd respond was: "if he doing it without the horse then it's fine, it's sandbox"

Mad Jugger

Aug 8, 2022

This is supposed to be a sandbox. I don't see how someone getting in the middle of duels is harassment, If you want to duel unfettered take it to a house or the wilderness

Reactions: Xunila

Rahz

Jul 19, 2022
That kinda makes me think the game could profit from an arena-system... Just for fun, training and maybe a little gold/capes/titles. A lot of people just want a place to "casually PvP/train" in a short time frame. Every major city should have a arena because atm there is no way to duel without someone being able to annoy you while doing it. dueling in the wilderness will probably just get you killed by a bunch of MAs.

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
This is supposed to be a sandbox. I don't see how someone getting in the middle of duels is harassment, If you want to duel unfettered take it to a house or the wilderness
I totally agree! I Can't understand why players a dueling between Meduli bank / vendors and Meduli veredari/broker building/butcher table. Of cause I'm riding the direct way between both places and I don't care about other players fighting in my way. Same in Fabernum.

Maybe players would leave the city center when StarVault would remove the noob-friendly function to disable criminal actions. This functions is the opposite of a "hardcore game" and should be restricted to Haven.

• Haha
Reactions: MrDodger

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I totally agree! I Can't understand why players a dueling between Meduli bank / vendors and Meduli veredari/broker building/butcher table. Of cause I'm riding the direct way between both places and I don't care about other players fighting in my way. Same in Fabernum.

Maybe players would leave the city center when StarVault would remove the noob-friendly function to disable criminal actions. This functions is the opposite of a "hardcore game" and should be restricted to Haven.

That's what happens when you add guard rail mechanics like pvp toggle. I avoid them because of "immersion." It's stupid, though. MO is lacking in immersion due to a lot of things like that. In MO1 if you were skilling up w/ a macro and someone came and BB'd you, that was sandbox haha. That's why it was gg to use a herd of pigs and block. But you'd do it naked knowing that chances were you'd come back in ghost mode. I personally don't see the problem with that. Each little change they make in that direction has made the game worse IMO.

Honestly, when I really think about MO and "what it is" and not what I dream it should be, or the good moments I had playing it, I realize it's just dogshit lol. What it is and what I want it to be are nowhere close. It's become very blase.

+ I support GM intervention when people are griefing, but like I said before in a thread, dudes in duli shield bashed my dude into the ground underwater multiple times I think, he reported it, and they didn't do shit. There should def be police GMs, but they need to get shit right. They should have left pvp toggle off and banned people for BBing. I say that with a 100% straight face. If someone is obviously blue blocking over and over, it makes more sense to remove them than it does to change the whole game. If you try to do both (police + change the game) you will water down your game and end up making a bunch of people mad about what you chose to do or not do.