(This Should Be) A Farewell to Mortal Online

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
EVER GET ONE OF THOSE PATCHES THAT MAKES YOU WANNA QUIT THE GAME?

I'm gonna tell a story. So before the patch dropped, I was moving some stuff around, taking my secret routes... not really, but traveling the world, and I stopped to stam. I was looking out over everything, the landscape. I was thinking of what we DO have. We DO have a huge open world, even tho it's laggy in places and works strangely. The background is immersive, you can fight someone around a tree and end up hitting the tree if you miss. All sorts of arrow physics, jump height to climb, mounts, swimming, shields... I mean I can go on obv. Game has been rough, but if you look at the very core of MO as an open world pvp game, there has not been a better time. Look back at MO1 and see what an ass game we played. It had more 'flavor' but the jank level was like x10.

Anyway, I said something to the effect of, "Man, this game could be so good." And it could... little changes. The world is there. Brokers, too, individual per town, houses/sh/keep with benches. These are things that aren't really out there, or at least not together, in other games.

I kind of get this feeling that the game would be good if they just focused on the core of it. haha. I did not log on after I read they ripped the game up. Moving casting? Why? Cuz people asked? No worries about other core game mechanics? I should have made a thread that's like... things that moving casting will precede. Didn't address Melee slowness, I appreciate KD, and am not even mad over the 3 sec thing, but maybe I'm a bit high strung, but this kind of change is insane to bring on without even giving us a heads up.

It's not like, individually, moving casting is gonna break the game (actually it prol is if people learn to use it right lol,) but the fact that you'd reach so far into the gut of the game and 'fix something,' and then do that... wew.

Patches come and go, but when I try to follow their direction or whatever it's like hehh?? Why can't we have old MO w/ ecu and good melee. lol. Doods dono how good that was. It was enough for the pvp aspect. Should have focused on making a tiered livable world for other sandbox players, pvpers, citizens, etc.

Sv ya must got an ogh supporter mage haha.

Also I still am standing by the scientific theory that it's hard to figure out what's working when you change a bunch of things at once.

In short, the only thing that would have been more surprising to me than adding blanket casting movement would be like... removing parry haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: grendel

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020
Playing as foot warrior I am not happy with the direction of the MO2.I am getting bored with hocus pocus,flaying magic balls and stuff I did not like in Darkfall.Now mages running while casting?Frustrating.Time to take a brake and play Harry Poter thing,lol

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Playing as foot warrior I am not happy with the direction of the MO2.I am getting bored with hocus pocus,flaying magic balls and stuff I did not like in Darkfall.Now mages running while casting?Frustrating.Time to take a brake and play Harry Poter thing,lol

I dunno. I'm a lean veela. I might have to take out some of these nubs who are enjoying their moving casting. :/ :/ lol I dunno why this shit has me so angry. I guess it just seems like they did some shit they said they never would do, and there are so many other things they SHOULD have done, that they held to their guns on.

Reactions: Zbuciorn

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020
I think magic impacts aesthetic of the game the way I do not like.It is cool to watch someone making tupilac but laser like fx and flaying bubbles are cheesy.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I think magic impacts aesthetic of the game the way I do not like.It is cool to watch someone making tupilac but laser like fx and flaying bubbles are cheesy.

I really liked old MO with Ecu. I dunno why they got magic schools into their mind. They could have added other stuff, too, like diff weps... etc, and yea effects, I play w/ it all on low for frames. I can see how some of those things can be strong, but again the rich get richer... it's not something anyone can learn. MORE GRIND. It's like THE GRIND IS GETTING MATS, STOP MAKING US GRIND TO SPEC OUR CHARS. Maybe a couple spells, but some towns should have like magic college.

It's just a shitshow, but yeah... I dunno. Magi are running this game eversince they changed mounted mage and Magic Reflect. Not that they are the most OP, but it seems like their input is most valued. Next is prol gonna be mana pots hah. I CAN'T CAST ALL THESE SPELLS WHILE MOVING. I NEED MOAR MANA.

also alvarin gets stupid OP-er. But my build is a mage eater, so I can't be too mad :p Keep your movement, take away tower shields... gg?

Reactions: Zbuciorn

grendel

Jun 13, 2020
Ecu moving while casting is a game changer for any mage and the people fighting that mage. imo.

Reactions: projectzero

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
I agree that this game is becoming too magic oriented. I also dont like all the flashy spell animations that elementalism will bring. Its reminding me more and more of Darkfall.

Walking is a slight buff to mages (you are still not kiting anyone while casting) the magic resist potions and tower shields changes are nerfs. Typical SV to give with one hand and take with the other. Fat mages are getting shit on with rhe new dismount mechanic. So yea, not all gravy for mages.

I personally did not like what elementalism did to MO1 battles. So many flashy effects and aoe that it looked like a laser tag show. I much prefer a low fantasy setting combat.

• Love

Gnidex

Feb 2, 2022
Eh might aswell retire anything but alvarins.

I would get small changes but these bozos are turning the little balance the game had into a fortune wheel of shafting. I guess this is Henrik's business model, so many large changes so you are forced to buy alts to have fun.

Gnidex

Feb 2, 2022
Ecu moving while casting is a game changer for any mage and the people fighting that mage. imo.
Kiting ability won't really change with this.
What they missed is letting mages change directions while casting, with the new pots and dismounting it is hardly op.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I'm on the opposite foot, I'm more excited to play the game because of this patch.

It's exciting to see change. I push SV hard to implement change, but you gotta do stuff with some level of finesse. I do think Mage is cool, more or less; I'm not THAT bad at hit scan, etc, as I say, but def don't have those hours of practice or anything. I def think the walking change will change kiting a lot more than you think because of windows. There is a window to cast while turning your mount, too. I feel like not fizzling and being able to shuffle around will be huge, as well as a lot of people don't think you can wrap a bandaid in a fight. This change def benefits elves most, tho, obv, cuz they can get the space, charge a spell... I mean think about it this way, even if it leads to you getting hit 1 time less, it's game changing.

I do think they need to revert the MR change tho.

Lances and MC are interesting. I had that FIRST RECORDED DISMOUNT (probably lol,) but I deleted it. Dropping people + horse flee is gonna be sweet. If you wanna talk about alts or rerolls I am fiending for a MC now! Not lancer tho. SV always picks the derpiest wep. Like I said lances were cool when they were underused, then they became OP/meta, and I'm surprised SV took the lance route. Is a lance a true battle weapon? lol. If I get out performed by a wep that you can just run into someone instead of having to arc it and actually hit them (still the sweetest feeling, teeing someone off their horse, dudes w/ MC anger... man you are missing out!)

But yea... my desire to play is shit not because of the changes, cuz some of them were good, but because they just seem to be doing shit now. I can't understand why they can't focus on balancing horses and make them different and unique. I can't understand why they would add moving casting, legit. Those are like staples of MO for years. It's just compounding disappointment.

I do appreciate the extraction changes and am gonna start turning over a lot of mats intake/outtake w/ broker... Godwilling haha.