Suggestions for PvE from a more casual POV

Inai

Feb 16, 2024
Hi guys,

I would like to make some suggestions for more engaging/fun pve content. I've been playing the game since beta without any big pauses, but I would still consider myself a more casual, pve oriented player.

Because this is mortal, I will add this disclaimer: I know that most of the player base does not share this POV and would probably tell me I'm playing the wrong game because "it's a pvp game". I have nothing against pvp and I like that the world is dangerous. I don't think changes need to be made to disincentivize pvp (I actually think pve is more fun with a bit of danger and competition) or that players should be protected from pvp. I do however feel like a sort of middle ground for pve group content that is not as highly "camped" as dungeons currently are is missing from the game.

1. More group oriented content that is not dungeons

For me as a pve player, going into dungeons is not a thing I do often. The thing to find there is pvp content (death) most of all - if you are not experienced and well geared for that, you will not have a good time.

If we assume a scenario of a clean pve-dungeon-run without any pvp, then I would also like to add that most dungeons currently in the game have very weak content for this purpose. Most of the time the only interesting and hard part is the boss. Any content inside the dungeon leading toward the boss is way too easy to be engaging as a group (sewers, sator dungeon, spider caves, most of necro dungeon, fabernum tower). It is simply boring to do them from a pve standpoint.

If you are looking for casual and fun stuff to do in a group (that is not primarily into pvp), the options are very scarce.
- Spider caves are way too easy for a group, the boss is way too hard for a random small scale group.
- Bigger dungeons are no great option (see above)
- Trolls are kind of cool, but the most effective way to kill them is by putting a turtle on them and healing it. That is not engaging group content.
- Outlaws are too easy to be considered group content. 2 players are usually enough to deal with them. Although I would say outlaws are still something to do while traveling.
- POIs are usually too easy for groups - again, 2-3 players max. are enough for those - many can be done solo.

So if I have a group of 4-6 people. Where do I go, when I'm not actively looking for pvp? This is a problem we have always had in our guild since release.
What happens is that most of the "farming" happens to be solo-farming and anything else becomes a pvp-challenge.

My suggestion would be to add harder "open world" (as in not inside dungeons) mini-bosses or camps. Roaming mini-bosses would be fantastic as well, because they could not be camped as easily and thus the danger of pvp is not as high. It would be important that the loot these guys would drop corresponds to the number of people necessary to deal with them. Trolls are quite alright in terms of risk/reward (if they couldn't be cheesed as easily).

I think this part is one of the most important aspects to change in the game for newer and less hardcore pvp-players to get enjoyment out of mortal. I am actually a bit shocked this has never been talked about in roadmaps. I do appreciate the sudden realization that more dungeons are needed to lessen the "all the dungeons are gatekept by big guilds" factor - but I still feel like this is missing the point a bit and more/better solutions are needed.

2. Rare item drops for any creature/mob in the world

I love games where I have the chance to find something really valuable on any mob. This makes farming "easy" mobs I've already killed thousands of times still exciting to farm. Currently, when I kill a pack of wolves, I know exactly what I will get out of them. It is like collecting a paycheck. The element of suprise and excitemend is missing. Other enemies in the world have this kind of rare loot (mainly trinkets) and are thus more fun to engage with.

My suggestion would be to add (at least one, better 2-3) unique and rare material drops with a very small dropchances to every single mob, i.e. shore prowers have a 0.05% chance to drop a "shore prowers scale". What exactly these rare items do is up for debate - the value has to correspond to the rarity and difficulty of the mob. Exchanging a number of these items to npcs out in the wild is a good concept that will also encourage exploration and travel.

I feel like if these 2 things suggested above would be added to the game, the gamplay loop for many players would be vastly more fun and engaging. Solo pve grinding for rare mats (grinding the mob of your choice that is) and when you got a group together you have some fun things to do outside of pvp.

Thank you for reading this and have a nice day!

Calcal

Dec 11, 2021
So if I have a group of 4-6 people. Where do I go, when I'm not actively looking for pvp?
To a different game :ROFLMAO:
joke's aside I like the ideas. The game desperately needs more content at every level. The problem is SV is incredibly slow and then they'll add their store-bought assets and say: "sorry we're a small indy team."

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
I have to agree with Calcal, you are asking for pve content that lets you exclude pvp. This is a pvp first game. Pve has always come second in MO, and always been underwhelming.
Not to mention that if SV did make a great 4-6 man dungeon or roaming boss, it would be very popular …..which would mean a lot of people would be doing it, which means pvp.
PVPers are always looking for hot spots to go and get a fight.

The only pve content that has little pvp is the one that nobody bothers to do, either because it has crappy loot or is not fun.

You will never separate pve and pvp in this game. Perhaps down the road they will have great 4-6 person content, but the more fun it is, the more pvp there will be. And the more big guilds will try and monopolize it.

Last edited:

Inai

Feb 16, 2024
I have to agree with Calcal, you are asking for pve content that lets you exclude pvp. This is a pvp first game. Pve has always come second in MO, and always been underwhelming.
Not to mention that if SV did make a great 4-6 man dungeon or roaming boss, it would be very popular …..which would mean a lot of people would be doing it, which means pvp.
PVPers are always looking for hot spots to go and get a fight.

The only pve content that has little pvp is the one that nobody bothers to do, either because it has crappy loot or is not fun.

You will never separate pve and pvp in this game. Perhaps down the road they will have great 4-6 person content, but the more fun it is, the more pvp there will be. And the more big guilds will try and monopolize it.
I feel like your answer is exactly what my disclaimer was trying to address. Nobody wants to separate pvp and pve completely. What I'm saying is the balance of hardcore pvp and soft pvp is way off. You are also just ignoring the fact that roaming mini bosses or truly random spawns are not as easily camped as dungeons and will ofc have worse loot than dungeons. That means less hardcore pvp.

Static pve locations will always be camped the better the loot is. But as with trolls, they are still doable quite alright if they're outside of dungeons. You are getting pvp at trolls quite often, but you don't die 90% of the time like in dungeons. That is the one example of content that is actually engageable by people that are not hardcore pvp'ers. But trolls themselves are boring to do, as I said.

We need more and better stuff like trolls. And especially non-static stuff.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
But troll are semi staric spawns, they roam in a very small area, not much larger than the average dungeon. Only difference is they are outside, so running away from pvp is much much easier.

So you specifically want challenging, small scale pve content that allows for easy disengage from pvp….im not opposed to more engaging pve, but highly doubt SV can deliver it. Even more skeptical that such content wouldn't be gankers go to spots. The more popular pve spot, the more pvp you end up getting.

Last edited: