Suggestions based on MO1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhovanion

May 28, 2020
Hello,

First of all, many thanks to StarVault for finally deciding that Mortal deserves a new engine/rework. This has been long awaited by the community.

I would therefore like to share some changes that I have seen through 10 years of playing the first one, that me and most if not all of the other players that I've been in touch with deemed as not enjoyable. Take this with a grain of salt, but some consideration and feedback from more players would be greatly appreciated.

1. Magic reworks, underworld: Everyone was content about the initial magic system in MO1: Fireballs, thunderbolts, corrupt, heals, dominate and so on. The underworld was perceived as pointless and not enjoyable. The ability to spawn your own creatures was horrendous, especially with the hard-to-balance knights. This should maybe be kept if reworked properly and balanced with a new AI.
  2. Murder count system: I think most people agree that PK'ers should not be allowed to re-enter towns immediately, but the previous system that would require you to stay around for hours to burn a single murder count, that was easily exploited to some extend by other people or even given during bigger pvp fights with consent from both parties. I believe that something similar should still exist, but maybe without having to delete a character and macro a new one for a few days once you get into 2 big fights if you ever want to get back into a town.
  3. Weapon balance: One of the most amazing parts of this game is the ability to create weapons and armors with so many possible combinations. Although the armor side was really balanced and people always found their preferred set or mix, this is not true when it came down to the weapons. We started with sword meta, leading for a few years of polearm only pvp, with the occasional spear or spiked maul. The same is true when it came to mounted combat: Few years where the only competitive axes were massive axes, after which came a short period of one shot lances, going back to axes. I would personally love to have more of the existing designs usable.
  4. Foot vs mounted combat: Please gib working spear stance :ROFLMAO:, the speed of a mounted rider should also affect the damage taken, M&B Bannerlord is a good example of that.
  5. Character metas: Although we had a bit of a variation when it came to hybrids, 99% of foot-fighters, mounted archers and mages/fat-mages were using the same meta-builds as there was a foot-speed plateau. I would love to see this more varied.

If you've gone so far through my post, thank you for reading my 2 cents, and do not take it as a critic, I'm trying to help based on my experiences and those of many other friends that have played the first game for a long time.

Last edited:

Helix

May 28, 2020
Murder count system: I think most people agree that PK'ers should not be allowed to re-enter towns immediately, but the previous system that would require you to stay around for hours to burn a single murder count, that was easily exploited to some extend by other people or even given during bigger pvp fights with consent from both parties. I believe that something similar should still exist, but maybe without having to delete a character and macro a new one for a few days once you get into 2 big fights if you ever want to get back into a town.

I know the original murder penalty was something similar to UO where you lose attributes AND skills (except in MO it was toned down to just attributes). Personally I think forcing people to "sit out" and macro up their attributes or work off a murder count is not the way to go, it might discourage rampant murder (especially with no secondary characters), but it might discourage it so much that it's an extreme fringe? Maybe that's good because it will force people to rely more on guild wars? Who knows, I think it might be too punishing but I'm not sure what the better alternative might be (well I do, but people won't like it because it means having different loot rules for blues and reds).

I think the one character model will just cause people to have multiple alternative accounts for different situations. You might have 1 or 2 murder characters, and a bluebie character for wars/sieges and the such.

Reactions: Rhovanion

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Hehehe I remember the early days of MO, going on a roam killing errybody and then finally losing a guildmate with statloss. Go off and hit him without gloves for 5-10 min to continue the roam to drench Myrland in blood. Good times.

Rhovanion

May 28, 2020
I know the original murder penalty was something similar to UO where you lose attributes AND skills (except in MO it was toned down to just attributes). Personally I think forcing people to "sit out" and macro up their attributes or work off a murder count is not the way to go, it might discourage rampant murder (especially with no secondary characters), but it might discourage it so much that it's an extreme fringe? Maybe that's good because it will force people to rely more on guild wars? Who knows, I think it might be too punishing but I'm not sure what the better alternative might be (well I do, but people won't like it because it means having different loot rules for blues and reds).

I think the one character model will just cause people to have multiple alternative accounts for different situations. You might have 1 or 2 murder characters, and a bluebie character for wars/sieges and the such.

Yeah, that's a good one, maybe a respawn timer, or burning murder counts faster than 8 hours? Burning counts a lot faster and getting more stat loss?

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Yeah, that's a good one, maybe a respawn timer, or burning murder counts faster than 8 hours? Burning counts a lot faster and getting more stat loss?
Imo they should change out timers as much as possible to active play things.

Instead of MCs and SL, I like the idea of their local reputation system they have been talking about where you lose reputation with unlawful actions and gain reputation through lawful actions.
So long as there are enough active ways to gain/lose reputation imo its much better than MOs flagging system.

• Love
Reactions: Rhovanion

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
The PK thing.

One Char now is better, being a red player should be a commitment.

A systme like if you have a murdercount, and you got killed from a guard or something similar. than you end up in Jail in Fabernum were you can sit afk 8 hours, and you can slaughter granum so active burning to reduce the time.

Or something like if you have 10blue kills in total you will stay red forever wait read the text below.

Being a red player should be a commitment. I guess you guys understand what i mean. SLaughtering people should get punished. Hard. but the sta tloss should be removed. If you die outside in the wild as red, you should not loose skills or stats. I hope its understandable what i mean.

SOme of these systems would work, better than the shit flag system. they should remove flags outside town entirely. and if you commit once murder your flaged for that town a very very very long time. if you kill someone outside it should be no murdercount no punishment, because if no guard see the crime it never happened

Helix

May 28, 2020
The PK thing.

A systme like if you have a murdercount, and you got killed from a guard or something similar. than you end up in Jail in Fabernum were you can sit afk 8 hours, and you can slaughter granum so active burning to reduce the time.

Or something like if you have 10blue kills in total you will stay red forever wait read the text below.

Being a red player should be a commitment. I guess you guys understand what i mean. SLaughtering people should get punished. Hard. but the sta tloss should be removed. If you die outside in the wild as red, you should not loose skills or stats. I hope its understandable what i mean.

SOme of these systems would work, better than the shit flag system. they should remove flags outside town entirely. and if you commit once murder your flaged for that town a very very very long time. if you kill someone outside it should be no murdercount no punishment, because if no guard see the crime it never happened

Man if they put a jail system in I would love to see a system where you can stage a jail break. "Johnson has 8 hours of jail time, let's go raid the jail and get him out". That's obviously a huge undertaking feature wise, but I think it would be pretty cool.

I think the reality is, like I said before, is that people who want to go around and kill indiscriminately are going to have more than one account.

Reactions: Speznat

Rhovanion

May 28, 2020
The PK thing.

I like your idea, but I'm pretty sure SV wants to do something that will not encourage everyone that is outside of the town to fight to death, which is fine for me. From my point of view this is good, but something should be done to totally ban those people from towns too. Maybe different type of Murder Counts, Town based that drain very slowly (griefing, killing in towns etc) and open-world ones that drain with active gameplay/faster ?

I find it hard to read the block style posts, it's good to try and use bullet points and spacing to make it easier to follow. That being said, I think the majority of your suggestions are well made.

That is a good point, I will fix that

//EDIT I can't find a way to space the points in the initial post, the forums automatically remove excess spaces or tabs.

Reactions: Neftan

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Dont fuck the game up by adding too much complexity
Its true SVs rampant complexities for complexities sake was a horrible way of making systems and features. Simple, effective and easily manageable is most of the time the best way to go.

Just with the complex crafting that they couldnt balance to give players a good balanced end resulting experience was bad compared to a easier to manage system. Btw this is not against the great crafting system in MO but the horrible way to utilize and balance the system. 1 million different weapons is not good if out of those 10 or so are usable and the rest is trash rather than have say a thousand different balanced weapon options that are viable.

Reactions: Falcar

stefco

May 29, 2020
Its true SVs rampant complexities for complexities sake was a horrible way of making systems and features. Simple, effective and easily manageable is most of the time the best way to go.

Just with the complex crafting that they couldnt balance to give players a good balanced end resulting experience was bad compared to a easier to manage system. Btw this is not against the great crafting system in MO but the horrible way to utilize and balance the system. 1 million different weapons is not good if out of those 10 or so are usable and the rest is trash rather than have say a thousand different balanced weapon options that are viable.
Exactly. More fun less grind is the way. In Henrik we trust, dont we ?

Gathering shouldn't be pain like MO1 for start and butchery should be more realistic.
Vote for banning mounted Combat, magic should be limited to healing and summoning and attacking only no more trash elemental spells.
Taming should be hard even horses and donkey's , dog's "if existed " should offer resistance, and add option to capture a prey instead of just killing it, selling it fresh for non taming character's.

Nenju

May 28, 2020
sausage lake
would be nice if you can make usefull pickaxes to gather with which are reasonable to make and not just buy pickaxes from vendors all the time.
should still be a thing the npc pickaxes but lower the durability and or buff the player made ones.

also u could change like how much resources you get per swing instead of just a durability increase for player made picks

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
would be nice if you can make usefull pickaxes to gather with which are reasonable to make and not just buy pickaxes from vendors all the time.
should still be a thing the npc pickaxes but lower the durability and or buff the player made ones.

also u could change like how much resources you get per swing instead of just a durability increase for player made picks
This would be good for all utility items and such. Bandages, pickaxes, woodcutting axes, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.