Regional vs Single Server Compromise

Do you like this idea?

• Total voters

swot_thomper

Sep 4, 2021
Australia
A single timezone generally won't have a consistent online player count, it will rise and fall during 24 hours relative to common working and sleeping hours.

It might make more sense for the location of the single server to migrate in a 'follow the sun' model (seemlessly if possible, or with a brief transfer - with sufficient warning), to cater to a few major regions (group of timezones) likely being the most active during a particular time.

This would allow most people in a region the chance to play with a low ping, rather than their only option being to move to the other side of the globe. This would likely result in more subscriptions so more revenue, without the cost of multiple servers being spun up constantly (even when some may be almost empty), and without separating the playerbase into different servers.

It doesn't make much sense to have the only server be in London at times when most of the players who live there are logged out because they're asleep or working.

I feel like this would be preferable to a solution where each in-game continent would get its own regional server, as this would result in less choice in location and more segregation of the playerbase.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
If having two separate sets of servers running at the same time wasn't worth the money, having two sets of servers only running some of the time sure as hell ain't either.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

swot_thomper

Sep 4, 2021
Australia
If having two separate sets of servers running at the same time wasn't worth the money, having two sets of servers only running some of the time sure as hell ain't either.
I read that Starvault uses a third-party cloud hosted computing solution for their single server, rather than dedicated hardware.

Cloud hosting often has a pay for uptime only option, where you aren't charged while your session isn't active.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
I read that Starvault uses a third-party cloud hosted computing solution for their single server, rather than dedicated hardware.

Cloud hosting often has a pay for uptime only option, where you aren't charged while your session isn't active.
Yeah, and i'm sure this cloud service is completely fine with the massive amount of data they'd have to keep transferring between these as well? ya know, for free becuz they cool and shit.

swot_thomper

Sep 4, 2021
Australia
Yeah, and i'm sure this cloud service is completely fine with the massive amount of data they'd have to keep transferring between these as well? ya know, for free becuz they cool and shit.
You mean like the infinitely more massive amount of data that has to stream between all players and the server constantly?

The hosting provider isn't going to be phased about a brief transfer of state information between two servers they likely even own both of. No-one said anything about free.

Are you this sarcastic and negative about everything you seemingly know nothing about?

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
You mean like the infinitely more massive amount of data that has to stream between all players and the server constantly?

The hosting provider isn't going to be phased about a brief transfer of state information between two servers they likely even own both of. No-one said anything about free.

Are you this sarcastic and negative about everything you seemingly know nothing about?
There is a reason why they say no to multiple servers and this is not saving them that reason.

swot_thomper

Sep 4, 2021
Australia
There is a reason why they say no to multiple servers and this is not saving them that reason.
I know a main reason they say no to multiple regional servers is segregating an already niche playerbase.

I'm not aware they've ever mentioned additional cost as a reason, are you saying they have or are you just assuming?

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Its one of many factors. You need more manpower to manage the servers even if the population on each server is lower due to a split. The cost go more than double for having the double amount of servers as a result, too.

For now people should just chill until another continent is nearly out, that's when people should start to demand the new continent is hosted somewhere else. It was always a plan that this would be the case in the future, but if people don't push for it when the continent is on its way through the door they'll just skip it, like last time that was a possibility.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Just move the server to NA when the current contract ends and add parry normalization. Most peoples ping will be around the same then.

Most players will have 80 or less ping and the east coast players will be ping naturalized. Aussies will have around 40 less ping as well.
No more EUs fighting laggy Americans.

Reactions: Bicorps

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Just move the server to NA when the current contract ends and add parry normalization. Most peoples ping will be around the same then.

Most players will have 80 or less ping and the east coast players will be ping naturalized. Aussies will have around 40 less ping as well.
No more EUs fighting laggy Americans.
*snap* yes