Phen's Alpha Weapon Crafting Guide-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
Hello everyone, I'm here to present some simple ways to get into weapon crafting. This guide could easily move on to Beta release if all stays the same.

First off I want to start off by letting everyone know to double check your weapon. Only saying this because making a good weapon is easy, making a weapon to last you a while is another story.
Lets kick this off with some swords and daggers, we will move into axes, polearms, clubs and mauls, lastly we will hit the spears. Of course this is just a simple guide, so lets get to it!

As a forger of metals and lover of arts. The way they have gone about the crafting feels very close to really crafting a weapon. When looking how a weapon is created, swords and daggers are made from a single piece of metal most of the time. They are blade and tang. In this the tang is the core, when making swords and daggers focus on your core and weapon head. This should give you a good placement for higher end durability with damage. The weight will be largely based on the mixture of core and head while the grip has more to do with filler weight and extras ( weak spot bonuses )
Example Recipe: Sponge Wood Grip, Tung core, Tung head.
*NOTE: Weapon heads and handles will have a slight variation of weight and damage though not enough to completely kill a basic sword/dagger recipe.

If you follow above, the crafting keeps in line. With the axes, poleaxes, clubs and mauls I've noticed the core will have a greater factor than in swords/daggers. Of course the head of the weapon will be the majority of the damage and weight though your durability will sit heavily with the core. Once again the grip has little to add other then weight, damage increase has been minimal in grips from what i've noticed. Weight is a huge factor with these weapons as they will determine the stam drain, keep it low and usable. When making these, you will need to test each part till you find the weapon for you. Unlike the swords/daggers, were you only change out core/head together. The Axes, Clubs and Polearms are touchy with good durability needing each material to be tested in each slot for you to get the weapon you desire. Mauls need bone for testing IMO which is why it sits here with axes, clubs, and polearms.
Example Recipe: Dapple Wood Grip, Flakestone Core, Steel Head ( does NOT work with Maul. mauls are their own beast you gotta master... plus no bones yet to build a proper one. )
*NOTE: Same as above, you will really need to test out every part of these to get exactly what you are looking for.

When we move onto spears, you will see they are a lot like swords/daggers. The biggest difference is how you do the recipe, changing the core and the grip leaving the head to the better end materials. This is because the spears come with a realish side to them. A fully wood handle/core with Tung is very good, though very low durability. To fix the low durability one may have to lower the head material weight and damage some to gain dome durability with a heavier core.
Example Recipe: Sponge Wood Grip, Flakestone Core, Steel Head.
*NOTE: Long weapons take lots of damage in fights, make sure you got that durability up.

As most of the crafters know, trial and error is the best way to figure out things. I've personally put roughly 3 hours into purely crafting today(Era of Crafting begins!). These are the main results I'm seeing when building recipes for better end weapons. This doesn't mean you can't go with some Sponge Wood Sponge Wood Tungsteel for those uber light high damage weapons. It just won't live long with how low the durability ends up when using Sponge Wood in such a way. This also hits the heavy stuff too, if you have to much weight, the weapon just won't be viable in fights due to stam drain. Also as just a reminder, you can craft as you please, this is just a simple guide to get started for those who have no idea on where to start.

I hope this helps out! Please comment anything below I may have missed, or if you have any question don't hesitate to ask!
-Phen

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
It does seem like they are doing crafting pretty much the same as in Mo1, heads being locked to specific genres under handles being the main big difference.

Other than that, handle material with head interaction seems to be similar, we don't really have any interesting materials to boost things like weakspot chance yet(other than putting TU as head, or jadeite for grip which last time around did very little vs textile and leather materials). The main difference I see in the handle is how even the long ones seem to be a lot lighter and as such has less impact on the weapons total weight, but has a great durability boost at cost of not much in terms of speed. For some weapon types like, axes and maces this does add up to extra blunt damage, just like in Mo1.

Unsure if there are other statistics being changed from different materials this time around, but I assume no. For the blunt and slashing damage part of weapons the relationship of material on part of weapon is purely weight and cost vs slashing+-blunt damage and durability. There will probably be woods that are better than others to keep weight low and durability high and there will also be the people that just go sponge sponge on swords as their blunt damage is almost always negligible if you can keep the impact on the weapons speed low, at the cost of durability.

Spears, halberds and sword thrusting all benefit a lot more from more intricate grip and core materials to give you a higher weakspot chance. but also haven't tested the star mace and warhammer to see if those too could benefit from better weakspot chance.

While other weapons like i mentioned are a lot more conventional like in mo1 where its just a relationsip of weight, durability, blunt damage, slashing damage(head material only), piercing damage(head material only).

Tbh I dont know what other characteristics they could add to make crafting using other grip materials on non-weakspot weapons more diverse, maybe certain grip types could have a stat that actually enhances speed and or stamina by messing with the weight penalty coefficient. That could get you weapons that are heavier than "normal" but swing the same speeds for greater damage (because of weight towards blunt) or with some lighter slashing weapons the net effect could be a lower and faster bladed weapon with possibly greater durability. At cost of having to find, test and use these materials as part of your weapon crafting + higher weight limit to your character.

I have not yet tested if this is already the case, but I would assume not.

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
This was a basic guide for new crafters. I would love to compare our wapons. Lots of mats aren't in the game because we are testing the crafting system.

I remember making tons of spw spw steel weapons that sold like crazy in MO1. MO2 sees equipment hits, they end up breaking your wapon fairly quickly. Which is the only reason i made a guide and not an item creation list.

Not really sure how much forging you do, but it really is following a more real line of professional weapon making. MO1 you could make unbalanced and broken weapons, MO2 the same thing but the durability is showing to make an impact as low durability weapons will not last long. This makes you craft lots of low durability weapons over making a long lasting one.

Didn't go into each little detail, as I truly believe in trail and error for best results.

Was there a question or something I missed? I'm slightly confused on your reply to my basic crafting guide.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
This was a basic guide for new crafters. I would love to compare our wapons. Lots of mats aren't in the game because we are testing the crafting system.

I remember making tons of spw spw steel weapons that sold like crazy in MO1. MO2 sees equipment hits, they end up breaking your wapon fairly quickly. Which is the only reason i made a guide and not an item creation list.

Not really sure how much forging you do, but it really is following a more real line of professional weapon making. MO1 you could make unbalanced and broken weapons, MO2 the same thing but the durability is showing to make an impact as low durability weapons will not last long. This makes you craft lots of low durability weapons over making a long lasting one.

Didn't go into each little detail, as I truly believe in trail and error for best results.

Was there a question or something I missed? I'm slightly confused on your reply to my basic crafting guide.
Just chiming in.

"This forum is dedicated to the community coming together to help each other understand the game."

Reactions: Parethias

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
Just chiming in.

"This forum is dedicated to the community coming together to help each other understand the game."

Yeah, I dont wanna confuse people either. Thats why I left it open at the end for people to ask questions. All the technical stuff can be easily explained once people start dropping questions. Otherwise this was ment as basic crafting guide, nothing more..

Status
Not open for further replies.