Market board - suggestions for improvement

Clint

May 18, 2022
Hi,

A player-based economy is a vital part of Mortal Online 2. The market board reveals important information on the cost of some items. Goes without saying that sensible merchants will adjust prices based on demand.

Currently, we can only see 10 items per page. In beta, this was fine, since public trading wasn't too frequent. Nowadays, we can see hundreds of pages through the global market board. This makes it very challenging to create an inventory of costs, compute average prices per city, verify sales volumes and appropriately price items. I remember sitting down with the intent to extract data from the marketboard, only to estimate it would take me a couple of weeks at a steady rate. Granted I was on my own, even the best rate of work would make it difficult to stay abreast with all any price fluctuations.

My suggestion to improve the QoL of merchants is to consider 3 options, none of which exclude the others. I have left them open-ended intentionally, to give a general idea of what I mean - after all, the vision of this game is not entirely mine to define.

1) Increase the number of items listed per page of the marketboard and implement basic market research tools in-game E.g.: items sold per day/week/month, average price in gold, by item category or by time period. Such functions may be made available to characters who have invested in the Management/negotiation skill tree, perhaps giving them more value and allowing players to carve their niche as merchants.

2) Develop a pilot of an API to pull data from the marketboard, enabling features similar to 1)

3) Develop a tool, published on this website, that allows browsing the marketboard, presenting the data in a structured way.

The aim of MO2 is to be as immersive as possible. I find option 1 to be the most immersive and to dovetail with the skill system. 2 and 3 are perhaps the least immersive, but may be the most versatile for players who cannot regularly check-in (busy lives etc.).

I don't see working on any of these proposals as timely. I know the roadmap is busy and there are more pressing matters to address. I do, however, find some action to be needed for a better player experience. As buy orders and wagons/ship come in, trading may further expand - and with it an additional reason to improve the market board.

Reactions: TheOxMan