Making The Current Reputation System More Complex

Nezris

Jan 22, 2022
Introduction
The priest/reputation system needs to be a lot more complex for a game of this genre. If you want immersiveness in a game, start including more complex systems similar to the skill trees. It only makes sense. The new system for priests and players with no reputations seems like a poor attempt at overcoming the imbalances of how players with no reputation can make an impact on the world. Before, players with no reputation could resurrect at priests super close to regular towns so that priest was basically a "haven" for murderers to keep coming to in order to kill the players leaving/entering the city.

It IS a PvP game. Why should they be so harsh on those that wish to RPK? Shouldn't it be easy for them to RPK?:
What's the point in the reputation system if it ONLY does not allow players to be in town? Maybe SV believes it needs one more negative aspect. So to prevent the basically constant "supply" of regular players to be killed outside of Fabernum for example, they made the priest very far from that town. If anything, this feature complements the RP of the game (yes it is an mmoRPg), or at least the main systems of the game. If you want to kill other players a lot, consider putting in the effort to get more reputation by doing in towns so that you are able to kill more players. Not enough for you? Then yes, there SHOULD be towns with priests within them that allow you to resurrect there. More about that below...

Making It More Complex:
Are all priests relevant to your reputation with a town? Priests are more magical than mundane and should treat you differently than the province does. For example, the priests in lawless towns. By the nature of Star Vault's ideals, they want some priests to resurrect players with no reputation. I would like to see some lore behind this. Is Kranesh a part of the Tindremic Provinces? If so, it seems the city might be under the control of someone who doesn't really care about it. The vendors will serve anyone. No one but guilds will go there to protect randoms who arrive there to visit or to do business. Maybe the founder of the town is corrupt themselves, and the military of the Tindremic Provinces doesn't want to support them in protecting the city. But business is there. Why would vendors go there if they could die? Maybe in the future, there could be NPC's that protect the vendors, and maybe even vendors drop decent loot, like a key to their home in Kranesh that has lots of loot in it, but would certainly be hard to kill them and survive against the NPC's that will attack you for doing so. Priests in lawless towns should have their own reputation. They are separate from the other priests because they have a spiritual belief that murderers are not bad people, or perhaps the priests work for the gods and will resurrect you because the gods have agendas for murderers in Nave.

How To Lose/Gain Reputation With Lawless Priests: To lose reputation with lawless priests:
- Do not kill the vendors of Kranesh for example.
- Do not kill players/guilds that have a very good reputation with the priest.
- THIS way is explained in "The Priest Collective"

To gain reputation with lawless priests:
- Kill players that have a negative reputation with the priest.
- Kill players that are with titles/notorious for killing murderers.
- Sometimes when resurrecting at a lawless priest, a bounty will start for a player that is using or has used titles like: The Bold, The Commendable, etc., for X amount of minutes. Preferably someone who really enjoyed making it known that they killed X amount of murderers and got a title from it. Your reward when killing them will be a reputation with the priest, and the amount will vary depending on how much the priest dislikes the player (the more murderers the player killed, the more the priest will dislike them). The name of the player is only sometimes known (read below).
- In order for a player to be known to a priest as The Commendable or The Bold, then a player has to be targeted by you within the past 4 hours(more or less), and then you must talk to the priest and enter the name (reporting the player for a potential bounty on them). If a successful report is made, the player might be rewarded in a small amount of reputation, or something else. Each guild member has a reputation with the priest relevant to what guild they are in. There will be a total guild reputation so that only some

I was going to continue with ideas...but not too sure how people will like these so far. I'm also posting it faster because I came up with another idea:
If no rep priests are super far away... at least make it so players can build their own crafting tables, tents maybe, campfires, and stuff to be self-sufficient. Not only in houses. It would be realistic if a player that doesn't have a house yet, can become no rep then survive after he resurrects at the priest basically an hour away from a city.

Also does anyone know why my draft didn't autosave? It did for a few days and then I came back to work on it again and I couldn't find it? I was lucky to have all this info saved on a Discord message.

Pipars

Jan 31, 2022
The assumption that devs are harsh on RPKrs is false! They are not!

I agree that the present criminal system should be rethought because at present time it is just broken!

It is absurd that if you kill someone or his horse/pet, get reported, and be able to enter the same town in the same hour/day/week is just illogical in any sense.

Becoming a criminal is a choice! I am not against it!!! But there should be consequences.