Laying Claim (or the like?)

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
So I'm not gonna overly crunch how this would work because it'll probably go in the shitter like all of my other ideas, but I was thinking about the repsys and pvp and such, and what if you could claim shit? I realize that there are grief possibilities, and I will explain them after I lay out the main idea.

What if a player could tag an area, of say mobs, or ore... whatever. There'd have to be some limit to how much you could do this, but so say they claim a preset area in a spawn. If you attack/mine/gather whatever in that area you get a few warnings like SO AND SO has claimed this, and after that, you are local grey to them. The person who claimed should, also, be perma local grey in that area. This is where the grief possibility comes in, people could just zerg you, so it would have risks and you would have to do it in area where you had back up or where people respected you and your stuff. I despise walls because you can't really 'contest' walls, but territory control works for me.

Then, you can take this to the next level with a group claim, so it's not relegated to tag. Maybe limit the places you can do this, claim a bigger area depending on your group size, and you could actually GET FIGHTS of open pvp without war decs or y'know claim a big farm spot. Same idea except maybe for group spots it would be more like "you are in (claimed territory)" and you have x amount of time to get out or you are open pvp. That way it wouldn't get so messy with tags.

Thoughts, umad?

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
bump, maybe reread. This is what necromancers do when they cant get the books.

Kaquenqos

May 3, 2022
You must really really like KoTo : )

Seriously though, it will just be: 'biggest guild rolls through the world & owns everything and hasn't got the manpower to defend any of it.' The result would just be that you now turn local grey when farming things... Basically, if the territory was anywhere populated, every time you log on someone else would have claimed it... If the territory is not populated, who cares anyone will just farm it anyway and local grey timer will be the only downside ...! So basically why not just put in wilderness grey areas without all the nonsense?

This could create some fronts of perpetual skirmishing between big guilds in populated areas, but the result otherwise would be pointless. There is no actual benefit to holding the territory. Eventually I imagine other guilds would just let the big guilds have the skirmish points & just farm them anyway, since no guild is going to post people to constantly defend a plot of granum or some such. Things would just change hands between certain guilds throughout the day as they are active, with a few hours where maybe some mild skirmishing/contest happens...

But think of the game now. As it is now, 90% of the places you can farm are empty... This is because the map is huge.

If you want meaningful territory, you need more complex/concrete mechanics than this.

Again, look to how MMOs like Albion Online do this. For TC to be meaningful there needs to be passive benefits other than, 'we can mine this ore that we have nowhere near the manpower to actually defend... just like everybody else when we aren't posting people to defend it... which is, uh... most of the time... hur..', and there needs to be qualifiers as to how you gain and lose territory. Mechanics are a sandbox's friend.

Last edited:

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
You must really really like KoTo : )

Seriously though, it will just be: 'biggest guild rolls through the world & owns everything and hasn't got the manpower to defend any of it.' The result would just be that you now turn local grey when farming things... Basically, if the territory was anywhere populated, every time you log on someone else would have claimed it... If the territory is not populated, who cares anyone will just farm it anyway and local grey timer will be the only downside ...! So basically why not just put in wilderness grey areas without all the nonsense?

This could create some fronts of perpetual skirmishing between big guilds in populated areas, but the result otherwise would be pointless. There is no actual benefit to holding the territory. Eventually I imagine other guilds would just let the big guilds have the skirmish points & just farm them anyway, since no guild is going to post people to constantly defend a plot of granum or some such. Things would just change hands between certain guilds throughout the day as they are active, with a few hours where maybe some mild skirmishing/contest happens...

But think of the game now. As it is now, 90% of the places you can farm are empty... This is because the map is huge.

If you want meaningful territory, you need more complex/concrete mechanics than this.

Again, look to how MMOs like Albion Online do this. For TC to be meaningful there needs to be passive benefits other than, 'we can mine this ore that we have nowhere near the manpower to actually defend... just like everybody else when we aren't posting people to defend it... which is, uh... most of the time... hur..', and there needs to be qualifiers as to how you gain and lose territory. Mechanics are a sandbox's friend.

It's not as much about claiming territory, tho, it's more about claiming territory as I can kill u here, I'm warning you. You're right big guilds would do it, but everyone in the bubble could fight against the big guild without any fear of MC or weird-shit.

Plus, it would have to have some sort of a timer, or even be like some kind of a structure that can be destroyed based on the size it would claim lol. Something that could be destroyed w/ weps tho.

Last edited:

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
and you could actually GET FIGHTS of open pvp without war decs or y'know claim a big farm spot.
You wouldnt get fights. You would get zerged. If they dont have a zerg they wont show up.

Game just needs places in the middle of nowhere not near a town to be lawless. But thats if they game actually wanted to be true open pvp, which it doesnt. If they actually wanted lawless zones they would have got put in the game before the crap Bounty system.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
You wouldnt get fights. You would get zerged. If they dont have a zerg they wont show up.

Game just needs places in the middle of nowhere not near a town to be lawless. But thats if they game actually wanted to be true open pvp, which it doesnt. If they actually wanted lawless zones they would have got put in the game before the crap Bounty system.

yea I don't think people want that. I've suggested that, too. lol. But I mean you could have different level claims w/ like area/people. You could put it down on a spot and it would def inspire pvp. Sure people would claim the good shit, but what is the downside of that? They are there, should they be forced to give up a bunch of MCs because they were there? Eventually you'd think you could gather enough people to hurt them.

Kaquenqos

May 3, 2022
It's not as much about claiming territory, tho, it's more about claiming territory as I can kill u here, I'm warning you. You're right big guilds would do it, but everyone in the bubble could fight against the big guild without any fear of MC or weird-shit.

Plus, it would have to have some sort of a timer, or even be like some kind of a structure that can be destroyed based on the size it would claim lol. Something that could be destroyed w/ weps tho.
Yeah,
here's the thing:
1) nobody would have the manpower to defend their claims in remote regions, even big guilds,
2) where people do have manpower to defend claims regularly, aka in well populated areas, all you've successfully achieved is that if new players farm resources near towns the local big guilds based around that town can PK them without penalties

Grey wilderness zones when far removed from towns achieve what you want without the downsides.

I think grey zones for distant wilderness + optional PvP factions to create PvP in 'guarded/reportable areas' would be the best option to create active & dynamic PvP.

And of course a meaningful TC as the GvG oriented 'main' end-game portion of the game... Would be cool if they made TC castles next to each major city as like 'crown jewel' TC spots, and guilds could impose a small tax on the region. Idk, maybe not that idea exactly, but there needs to be impactful reasons to own territory, or it's ultimately going to feel pointless again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Najwalaylah

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Wait wait, I am saying like... if you go to a dungeon, you lay claim on that dungeon then you farm the dungeon, anyone in the dungeon is open pvp and so are you to them. Then when you're done, it's over.

Not talking about a claim like TC claim, but like an in the moment thing to flag an area as open pvp if the people who were there first get to lay a claim or w/e. Could be diff timers, diff areas, diff costs. It wouldn't broadcast it, either, just people who came into that area would be alerted who is in there and they can decide lol. Sure, they can zerg, that's def a possibility, but it always is.

Or they could just attack the thing that causes the claim and kill it, if they can find it, but it would surely make the other group come out to see what's up or have 2 and put one down deeper.

Kaquenqos

May 3, 2022
Yeah, but, this achieves exactly the same thing as just making areas grey/lawless.

Basically the only time people wouldn't force the area to be grey is if they don't intend to PvP/PK each other, in which case it doesn't matter because even if the area was grey full time they wouldn't be compelled to PK if they didn't want to.

Mechanically it's just making certain areas grey/wilderness with extra steps

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Yeah, but, this achieves exactly the same thing as just making areas grey/lawless.

Basically the only time people wouldn't force the area to be grey is if they don't intend to PvP/PK each other, in which case it doesn't matter because even if the area was grey full time they wouldn't be compelled to PK if they didn't want to.

Mechanically it's just making certain areas grey/wilderness with extra steps

yea while the other players are there. It'd be like placing a flag down (which would last time and could be destroyed.) It would allow a group that isn't a guild to hold a spot w/ o MC and groups that aren't all in the same guild to fight against them. If you don't wanna go in there, then you'd also know they are there.