Ideas for Making Combat more "FLUID"

Pilz Scrimage

Aug 28, 2021
Much respect to the team for their work on Mortal Online 2. I feel like the game has already and definitely helped the MMORPG genre take multiple steps towards the right direction. The combat is a very unique idea. I feel like one thing that would possibly help the fluidity of the combat gameplay would be creating a sort of parry system that would better bridge between active defense and the wind up of an attack. I feel it would make a lot of sense, and would make the combat feel so much better if when your character was winding up to attack from the right, he would automatically parry/block attacks coming from his right, since, if you think about it, the character's weapon would already be on the characters right side, where the attack was coming from, and vice versa for all the other directions of attack and defense. When you are winding up to attack from the left, your character should have an interval where he is able to parry incoming attacks from the left, seeing as your weapon is on the left side of your character. If you guys could program this function into your game, I feel like the game's combat will feel A LOT more fluid.

D

Dracu

Its called chambering afaik it would be great indeed :) i think its cool for the „offensive“ players since they would never have to block :D

Pilz Scrimage

Aug 28, 2021
@Dracu "chambering afaik"? What's that? There are also still 3 other directions attacking players can be attacked from. Also, the parry mechanic should be only possible while the attack is still being winded up, and NOT possible when the attack has already been let go or initiated

D

Dracu

@Dracu "chambering afaik"? What's that? There are also still 3 other directions attacking players can be attacked from. Also, the parry mechanic should be only possible while the attack is still being winded up, and NOT possible when the attack has already been let go or initiated
Its what you described, other games have that afaik

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
Mordhau and Chivalry to a degree have chambering.

I wouldn't mind seeing this in game but I feel it's not something that will be balanceable in a short time frame and especially not until we have better tools to counter defensive gameplay.

Moored

Mar 24, 2021
i literally had to google that term, "afaik," since I could not understand wtf you were saying. What other games have this "chambering" feature you speak of?
Last Oasis has a chambering mechanic exactly as he described. It is quite fun and difficult and would be a great addition, me thinks.

Pilz Scrimage

Aug 28, 2021
I just got done researching the other games mentioned (Chivalry, Mordhau, Oasis). Chivalry gameplay looked really good