Formation

Godkin Veratas

Jul 3, 2020
Image not found

I went looking for **** at the rendezvous. To be this late was uncommon. My heart sank as I saw his helm and axe lying under a shrub. It didn’t take long to locate the rest of his belongings.

There.

15 paces from the waters edge, tucked under a rocky ledge, I see the eyes. Orange in black, darker than the night’s sky.

With a prayer to ****, an invocation of **** is revealed to me. I place my palms up and lower my heart rate. An orange mist began to emanate from the eyes in the dark form.

I spoke to the creature, “I ask you one that was two, with whom do I speak?”

The sound of a million bees filled my head. The buzzing became words. Through ****, the knowledge of **** was given voice.

You speak to the one.” It replied.

“One, tell me what you tell the other, that it may join you in formation”, I asked.

The buzzing became steady, a slimy grinding thunder.

"I tell the other so that it forgets. That it rests. I say, you sat down with with your back against the tree. You were facing the marsh and the sun set over your right shoulder. You removed the buckles on your shin guards slowly. You were tired. Running, talking, doing. With the final shoe removed your breathing slowed. Relaxed. Reached in your pocket and took a pinch of nahaut, sprinkling it carefully on you rolling paper. You were smiling. My fangs first entered your left thigh. You didn’t move. It wasn’t pain, though there was pain. It wasn’t venom, I have no toxin. You sat, stiff, unmoving while I looked you in your eyes. I desired you. I dragged you toward the water’s edge. Finally, as you began to sink into the mud, tangled in the scales, you shrieked and flailed. You felt Terror. It was too late, of course, no one was near. With your arms pinned, you were unable to resist. Twisted, over a time and again, there was only the one shriek. Airless whimpers, yes. I started with your head. 10 minutes in the darkness and now you see. No more terror, no more whimpers, you are me."

A pause and the eyes tighten, as if a smile would emerge below.

"The other says yes."

The buzzing stopped. The mist receded.

I Praised **** and **** for the knowledge and prepared my return to camp. I would return in the morning and slay the beast while it rested.

Last edited: