Food Is Annoying Right Now, Here is How To Fix It

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Right now not gaining weight is a careful game of mico-managing food. Don't get me wrong. I LIKE detailed systems. But food in-game required more micromanagement in-game than it does IRL and it does so for every single player. The people who should need careful experimentation and micro-mangement are cooks. Not every single player in the game.

My proposal. Health/Stam/Mana regen. Remove any relation they have to weight. Add a new stat:

"Calorie Density"

Calorie Density has a rating between 0.00 and 2.00. What does it do?

If you eat 1.30 Calorie Density food, each time you do so it brings you closer to 130% weight. 2.00 is 200%, 0.00 draws you toward minimum weight quickly. Etc.

One additional thing, you can add a crafting station known as a cooking table. Using wax paper and adding various food averages the nourishment and calorie density of those foods based on the weight of the different food items added. The final product is known as a "wrapped ration".

At this point cooks can play around balancing calorie density to make stout food, obese food, skinny food, etc. Good cooks can maximize nourishment within the calorie density limitations of the build they are cooking for.

Players... if you want to be stout eat 1.30 food. No more micromanagement required.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
theres a lot of things that could improve food, not the least of which being itemization. Why is the best hp food from pigs? i understand that *logically* it would make sense that people would cultivate the best food in easily farmed packages so yea why wouldnt the good meat be right at civilization's doorstep.... but its poor game design. for that matter, why do single-ingredient dishes have the best nourishment stats?

I get that it doesnt make a lot of sense for a wild apex predator to butcher into incredibly delicious and nourishing meat instead of gamey tough stringy meat but for puposes of a game, its a far preferable solution. sure it doesnt make sense that diluting the most nourishing food resource by cooking it with other ingredients would improve its nourishment but again for game purposes, its a far better solution.

i dont know if weight gain has changed at all but if you watch your long-term resource numbers and dont take them over cap by eating, you shouldnt gain any weight. the reserves in mo1 used to show up in the UI next to your hp/stam/mana bars tho they were pretty invisible unless you knew what to look for. i wouldnt mind some way to set weight limits for yourself so your character will know to stop eating when they hit their cap, even if they are not full, just a quality of life thing.

-barcode

Reactions: Speznat
D

Deleted member 44

I like what you are trying to do. Keep in mind that the food system exist to prevent people from respawning and heading back into a fight. I really don't find the system that annoying, but with that said, I also understand how it works.

Maybe have the option to cap your max health reserve denominator?

Why is the best hp food from pigs?

It doesn't. It comes from fish and isn't available yet.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
The biggest incidents of accidental weight gain come from trying to fill stamina reserves, which are enormous and deplete rapidly, rather than when trying to fill health reserves, which are small and fill very quickly.
I have food with stamina reserves over 100 and health reserves only .88 and it's still difficult to fill Stam without over filling Health reserves.

D

Deleted member 44

The biggest incidents of accidental weight gain come from trying to fill stamina reserves, which are enormous and deplete rapidly, rather than when trying to fill health reserves, which are small and fill very quickly.
I have food with stamina reserves over 100 and health reserves only .88 and it's still difficult to fill Stam without over filling Health reserves.
Add a poison to your food. It should fix your health reserves going up.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Add a poison to your food. It should fix your health reserves going up.
I heard of this, just haven't made any new food to test it.
Seems like the system itself has a problem if we need to poison ourselves though. Indicates that they need to tweak it.

Reactions: Kaemik

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
Kraft or butcher style paper wasn't made until like the 1800s and wax paper until the 1900s, it's far too advanced for the world of Nave, but if implemented would require 900 profession points for all the related skills In the process.

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
theres a lot of things that could improve food, not the least of which being itemization. Why is the best hp food from pigs? i understand that *logically* it would make sense that people would cultivate the best food in easily farmed packages so yea why wouldnt the good meat be right at civilization's doorstep.... but its poor game design. for that matter, why do single-ingredient dishes have the best nourishment stats?

I get that it doesnt make a lot of sense for a wild apex predator to butcher into incredibly delicious and nourishing meat instead of gamey tough stringy meat but for puposes of a game, its a far preferable solution. sure it doesnt make sense that diluting the most nourishing food resource by cooking it with other ingredients would improve its nourishment but again for game purposes, its a far better solution.

i dont know if weight gain has changed at all but if you watch your long-term resource numbers and dont take them over cap by eating, you shouldnt gain any weight. the reserves in mo1 used to show up in the UI next to your hp/stam/mana bars tho they were pretty invisible unless you knew what to look for. i wouldnt mind some way to set weight limits for yourself so your character will know to stop eating when they hit their cap, even if they are not full, just a quality of life thing.

-barcode
100% and auto stop if you go under or over your set weight would be awesome than you can't over eat. WOuld be an awesome quality of life thing.

D

Deleted member 44

I heard of this, just haven't made any new food to test it.
Seems like the system itself has a problem if we need to poison ourselves though. Indicates that they need to tweak it.
I was wrong about the poison btw. I thought that it lowered health reserves but what I was experiencing must have been placebo. Alchemy/Cooking discord channel said poison doesn't do that.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I was wrong about the poison btw. I thought that it lowered health reserves but what I was experiencing must have been placebo. Alchemy/Cooking discord channel said poison doesn't do that.
Aww, dang. Would have been a good workaround.