Do Beastmasters feel good to play?

Ajido

Nov 26, 2020
I saw a video on Youtube showing off some rather glitchy/bad behavior that made beastmaster seemingly frustrating to play at times, but the video was from summer 2021 so I don't know if anything has improved or is the same. But in general, how well does that archetype play?

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Pathing in general is greatly improved. However, there a still some major issues with pets and nodelines.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Pathing of pets is quite unreliable especially anywhere near nodelines. Pets do get stuck on things from time to time. Also, where people can jump up on things your pets will have a hard time hitting them. While it is fun to have a pet, its really not the most reliable archetype.

Reactions: Rhias

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Who knew that making it so that pets don't glitch thru things would create such havoc. I'm all for making pets sustained low, tanky dps (in most cases) w/ variance due to type. That would help them in pve, too. Pets are DEF a staple of pvp, haters gonna hate. haha. I wanna see everyone out there pvping tho. But other than rare TYPES of pets (which should be the actual benchmark, not how long you lvl'd them imo), I dunno that it should be a huge loss to get a pet killed.

I was trying to fight someone in dooli who had a steppe horse following him and that thing was entangling the shit out of me. He didn't tell it to STAY when he started fighting. So, I mean, pets are a big factor in many ways beyond just dmg. Which is cool, to me. But yea, the big plus of BM is (other than node lines which, I'm still pretty salted even about bringing a horse back to town cuz of node lines, so think about that... being on foot is better, but if you don't pay attention you prol still lose it) being able to pve well and put a bag on it. Like I said... pets are a staple of MO. haha. People always BEEN MAD. It's kinda nice to see something you have to work around tho... like ohshit he's got the white bear out, fan out and focus it down w/ arrows. Anything that makes stuff more dynamic, to me, is good. And in places where there aren't node lines, they are nice. I had someone camp me with a terror bird by making it attack the priest... but then I moved. However, if you put like 3 terror birds on the priest, I dunno if you could spawn haha.

So yea, pets have their uses. Does it FEEL GOOD? I dunno. Pets seem clunky and slow to me. The only pets I used were molvas in MO1 cuz I had MANY and they were surprisingly strong at tanking bosses.

Ajido

Nov 26, 2020
Pathing of pets is quite unreliable especially anywhere near nodelines. Pets do get stuck on things from time to time. Also, where people can jump up on things your pets will have a hard time hitting them. While it is fun to have a pet, its really not the most reliable archetype.

Are all pets in the game melee or is there anything ranged? Spiders spitting or anything like that?

[CTX] Contractor

Dec 31, 2021
Pathing in general is greatly improved. However, there a still some major issues with pets and nodelines.

It's really not.

The pathing can be quite horrible in many places.

Ajido

Nov 26, 2020
I heard the patch coming today/soon is supposed to fix nodelines, I suppose we'll have to actually test it ourselves but this seems like good news for beastmasters?

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
I mean it's subjective. It's certainly for people who play more though. Like if you plan on playing a lot go for it. If not taming, training and losing pets and repeating eats a lot of time that could be spent just farming so

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Are all pets in the game melee or is there anything ranged? Spiders spitting or anything like that?

i dont believe there are any pets with ranged damage, but i could be wrong. Haven't seen or had to fight any so far.

The other major problem right now (at least in pvp) is that people will just kill your pet anywhere they see you because pets dont give murder counts. So anywhere outside of town people can attack and kill your pet with no repercussions. Its really hard to keep your pet alive when it always gets instantly focused fired by everyone.

Last edited:

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
I saw a video on Youtube showing off some rather glitchy/bad behavior that made beastmaster seemingly frustrating to play at times, but the video was from summer 2021 so I don't know if anything has improved or is the same. But in general, how well does that archetype play?

Right now, not really. To answer the blanket question.

There is no intuitive way to control your pet. In MO1, we had an active skill that came with Creature Control. It allowed us to fully command our pet with a quick series of inputs, like, "pet follow me, follow them, be defensive, be aggressive, be passive, etc" and it felt nice. Pets also had a variety of attacks, and even weaker passive pets could be fun to use for PvE like pigs, dogs, or springbok.

Right now, you have to use 3+ hotbar slots and rebind them every time you have a new pet. You can only make pets attack, follow yourself, or stay. Only aggressive animals are able to attack when controlled, passive animals do literally nothing. As others have said, too, there are a lot of issues with pet stability in terms of the map. They can vanish or fall or get stuck fairly easily right now. Current patch is said to have a fix for this but player reports seem to say otherwise.

Yeah, it can still be nice to have a wolf or a bear, etc, help you out. For pure PvP meta, using a big bear is very powerful, but players spamming this gives the beastmaster role a bad name IMO.

In the future, it is said we will be getting MO1 functionality back, and further expansion (perhaps even direct control over our pets and their attacks). The question is when / if that will come.

Reactions: Najwalaylah