Crime System Suggestion

PatWins

May 28, 2020
As we all know, we are going to only have one character per account. I feel that being permanently red has no place in a game where your one character is all you have. I've developed a basic structure for a crime system that I thought might fit into MO2.

Rather than using the traditional murdercount system, I feel that a bounty system would fit into the new world.

If a player is seen and reported for committing a crime, a "bounty" will be placed on that individual player with a gold value appropriate to the crime. Bounties will be nation based and will only apply while within that nation's borders.

What is a bounty?
  • Bounties are a gold value placed on an individual player based on crimes they have committed
  • Bounties will cap at a maximum value to prevent players from permanently being red (for the purpose of this post we will call the max bounty 5,000 gold)
  • The life-span of a max bounty is 2 weeks and will deteriorate over that period of time down to 0 considering no other crimes are committed during that time
  • Bounty values place players into criminal "tiers" (more information below)
  • Bounties may be burned off while offline

Bounty Tier System

The bounty system will be broken up into 3 tiers
  1. Misdemeanor (0 - 1,499 gold)
    • Player may enter all capital cities/towns
    • Guards will still protect the player from harm
    • Player may be killed in the world with no option to report their own death (witnesses may still report these crimes)
  2. Felony (1,500 - 2,999 gold)
    • Player retains access to smaller towns but is no longer allowed in major cities
    • Capital city guards will attack on sight
    • Small town guards continue to protect the player
    • Player may be killed on sight in the world without penalty
  3. Most Wanted (3,000 - 5,000 gold)
    • Players are no longer allowed in major cities or lawful towns
    • All guards attack player on sight
    • Players may be attacked and killed anywhere without penalty
    • "Most Wanted" players' heads may be acquired and traded in at the Nation's Capital for 100 gold (one turn-in per week)
    • After hitting maximum bounty, any crimes committed while in this bracket will reset the bounty to 5,000

Crime Breakdown
  • 500 gold - Attacking a fledgling player
  • 1,000 gold - Killing a fledgling player
  • 250 gold - Reported hitting a lawful player
  • 500 gold - Reported killing a lawful player
  • 150 gold - Reported hitting a misdemeanor player
  • 300 gold - Reported killing a misdemeanor player
  • 50 gold - Getting caught attempting to steal from a player/npc
  • Average value of stolen items / 2 (based on average market prices) - When put in mercy mode with an inventory of stolen goods this is applied to your bounty
  • 100 gold - Reported for breaking and entering
  • 100 gold- Looting a lawful player's corpse
  • More options to come depending an what MO2 has to offer

Bounty Colors
  • Yellow - Players within the "Misdemeanor" (0 - 1,499 gold) bracket display a yellow name
  • Orange - Players within the "Felony" (1,500 - 2,999 gold) bracket display an orange name
  • Red - Players within the "Most Wanted" (3,000 - 5,000 gold) bracket display a red name

How to Remove a Bounty

Lay Low

• From the moment you commit your last crime a timer begins
  • Bounty value deteriorates at a rate of 357.14 gold per 24 hours
  • From a max bounty of 5,000 gold it takes approximately 14 days for a bounty to drop to 0
  • Bounties continue to deteriorate while logged off
Pay it Off
  • Bounties may be paid off at any time by visiting a lawful priest and requesting to pay your debt
  • Your bounty is only removed from the specific region you paid in
  • You may not pay other nations bounties without visiting a priest within that specific nation
Hard Labor (questionable due to potential abuse)
  • Players may burn off their bounty at an accelerated rate by doing various activities within that specific nation's borders
    • Killing negative rep npcs (bandits, undead etc.) burns 1 additional gold per kill
    • Gathering burns 0.25 gold per item acquired

Thanks for reading guys. I feel that this system would be punishing enough while still allowing players return to a lawful play style within a reasonable amount of time. We have ONE character this time around. We're bound to get into trouble. Please remember that none of these gold or time values are final.

Happy Friday!

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Im liking it, although I feel its simply a too low punishment and will essentially have the same effect MO1 punishment did.

Now with 1 char per account they can truly make it a punishment to be a PK player.

I do like the suggestion better than MO1 MC system but I feel the values are far too low and the time to burn it off could be longer.

What is hard to do though is differentiate murder from PvP. Say your group aggress against an other as in attacks first but both sides want the fight. Your side also wins so in frustration/bad winner syndrome the other side can throw murder accusations once ressed, which imo is bad design.

Reactions: Phen and PatWins

PatWins

May 28, 2020
Im liking it, although I feel its simply a too low punishment and will essentially have the same effect MO1 punishment did.

Now with 1 char per account they can truly make it a punishment to be a PK player.

I do like the suggestion better than MO1 MC system but I feel the values are far too low and the time to burn it off could be longer.

What is hard to do though is differentiate murder from PvP. Say your group aggress against an other as in attacks first but both sides want the fight. Your side also wins so in frustration/bad winner syndrome the other side can throw murder accusations once ressed, which imo is bad design.
Maybe an alternative would be to remove the penalty for attacking misdemeanor players. Keep in mind all of these crimes have to be reported. So in a pvp battle away from guards people are bound to die. What if you had to make it to a priest to report without dying? Additionally, the function would not be automatic. You would have to remember the players name and enter manually. Might even be useful to make a report window where you only have maybe 15-30 minutes to report the crime. Just spit balling here.

Reactions: Phen

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind

Perhaps adding a new function that works like the /duel did in MO1... group 1 sends a /battle command to someone in the other group. If they accept it, all players within a radius of them go local grey and they can fight it out.

This way roaming PvPer's would have the choice of taking on other willing PvPers, or choosing to have to murder those who arent in the mood for a straight up battle.

EDIT: make it so all players would need to accept the yes or no within the radius, to avoid abuse

Last edited:
Reactions: Phen and PatWins

Cromwell

Jun 4, 2020
I guess is kind of a good idea, and i agree bigger penalties should be needed, for the agreed pvp, just make guild wars a thing, for real, if you kill people you are not openly at war with, it's murdering, no frufru we agreed to battle with no real war or sworn enemies mechanic in place....that will make people really take sides and good fights and wars will brew....also real consequences for betrayal and murdering allies...

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
Honestly the prices of bounty are steep. Too steep for any new player who doesnt understand the old criminal system. BUT the idea is awesome!!

Eventhough I like the idea a lot, I do think dropping the overal gold numbers down would be good. It does take awhile to build up and having 5000g bounty for defensive reactions could be devastating to reds who are trying to go blue. They could pay it or lay around, downfall they'll be targeted for the bounties and will keep gaining bounty as they kill in defense. If I understand correctly, otherwise they would have to wait to be hit before making contact. Which would just suck..

Updating the flag system would be great. Giving a larger room before becoming a criminal, also I think players should gain "good report", just to give them space for attacking known murders who hide under the blue flags all to often.

Great idea though!! ❤

PatWins

May 28, 2020
Honestly the prices of bounty are steep. Too steep for any new player who doesnt understand the old criminal system. BUT the idea is awesome!!

Eventhough I like the idea a lot, I do think dropping the overal gold numbers down would be good. It does take awhile to build up and having 5000g bounty for defensive reactions could be devastating to reds who are trying to go blue. They could pay it or lay around, downfall they'll be targeted for the bounties and will keep gaining bounty as they kill in defense. If I understand correctly, otherwise they would have to wait to be hit before making contact. Which would just suck..

Updating the flag system would be great. Giving a larger room before becoming a criminal, also I think players should gain "good report", just to give them space for attacking known murders who hide under the blue flags all to often.

Great idea though!! ❤
Great points, Phen! The gold values could definitely use some adjusting. It does seem incredibly difficult to find a way to keep people from going red while participating in war, group fights and self defense. Would love to hear more ideas from everyone! Thanks for the response man!

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
from what henrik's said, crimes and flagging will be revamped and I assume will become a regional statistic. in other words, if you're considered a murderer in bakti you might not be a criminal at all in fabernum. for that reason alone its good enough to not have any (or perhaps a very slow) natural decay to your criminal status.

having a cap on the penalty just means theres no reason for someone to stop committing crimes when they're at the cap. if there *is* a cap it would necessarily have to be very high indeed.

there is no real downside to being considered a murderer in your system. ok you cant enter towns but if others can freely trade with you then its not really an issue (assuming you have a guild or other people to play the game with), mostly the same as MO is now. on top of that your guild mates can just kill you somewhere safe to get your head and turn it in for easy monies.

it would be more interesting to have a way to cause a harmful debuff to players by performing some kind of ritual with your head. for instance, you take a murderers head to a 'hexxer' or perhaps some way to perform this ritual yourself with required skills/reagents. once the ritual is complete, the player will have a persistant debuff on them for x amount of time (time and harshness of the debuff varies based on how many crimes they've committed and the severity).

some ideas for debuffs:
lowering stat caps by some percentage
a reduction to max movement speed
stamina regen reduction
reduction in how much healing they receive from spells/bandaids
increase how fast they burn reserves
increase how much food they need to eat to gain reserves

perhaps it will only apply in regions where you are a criminal (depending on which 'hexxer' the ritual was performed at). but will serve as a deterrant for you to raid those regions, as well as an incentive for others to get your head, as well as for you to not lose and/or retrieve your head. there should certainly be a time limit on the head as well, so the fresher the head the stronger the debuff (or perhaps longer lasting), that way players cant stockpile heads forever just in case someone becomes a problem.

-barcode

Slammington Unchained

May 28, 2020
from what henrik's said, crimes and flagging will be revamped and I assume will become a regional statistic. in other words, if you're considered a murderer in bakti you might not be a criminal at all in fabernum. for that reason alone its good enough to not have any (or perhaps a very slow) natural decay to your criminal status.

having a cap on the penalty just means theres no reason for someone to stop committing crimes when they're at the cap. if there *is* a cap it would necessarily have to be very high indeed.

there is no real downside to being considered a murderer in your system. ok you cant enter towns but if others can freely trade with you then its not really an issue (assuming you have a guild or other people to play the game with), mostly the same as MO is now. on top of that your guild mates can just kill you somewhere safe to get your head and turn it in for easy monies.

it would be more interesting to have a way to cause a harmful debuff to players by performing some kind of ritual with your head. for instance, you take a murderers head to a 'hexxer' or perhaps some way to perform this ritual yourself with required skills/reagents. once the ritual is complete, the player will have a persistant debuff on them for x amount of time (time and harshness of the debuff varies based on how many crimes they've committed and the severity).

some ideas for debuffs:
lowering stat caps by some percentage
a reduction to max movement speed
stamina regen reduction
reduction in how much healing they receive from spells/bandaids
increase how fast they burn reserves
increase how much food they need to eat to gain reserves

perhaps it will only apply in regions where you are a criminal (depending on which 'hexxer' the ritual was performed at). but will serve as a deterrant for you to raid those regions, as well as an incentive for others to get your head, as well as for you to not lose and/or retrieve your head. there should certainly be a time limit on the head as well, so the fresher the head the stronger the debuff (or perhaps longer lasting), that way players cant stockpile heads forever just in case someone becomes a problem.

-barcode
people that write this long should have their posts automatically deleted kuz lets face it, only 5 people are gonna bother to read it