Any changes to crafting/resource system?

Theodosius

Jul 24, 2020
I'm just wondering if SV has made any comments on altering resource/gear progression? The most valuable thing in MO was knowledge of the game.. but now that everything is pretty well documented I feel like it's going to just be a veteran speedrun to top tier.

With a reset market, and the requirement for resources to be put into circulation.. won't this further make the new player experience worse? Anybody have any thoughts on this? I don't think anything should be changed massively.. but I do think that the current system is going to make an awful noob experience.

Reactions: PatWins

Rhias

May 28, 2020
I think Henrik stated once that MO2 will have the same resources as MO1, and that some recipes from MO1 might as well work in MO2.
But there will be minor tweaking of the resources.

Reactions: Theodosius

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
A lot of the extraction system more or less is designed around real world metal and mineral processing, so I don't expect that to change at all, maybe if they actually add some new resources that are instead "fantasy" based...idk, made up with no real world equivalent.

And a lot of the systems are actually like that, and imo they were very well designed from the get go as far as making sense, so I don't think we'll see them change much either. They might do some reshuffling of the stats for the various materials which have stats like sharpness, blunt modifiers, density tho since that would just be adjusting values on their end.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Well, this time around, maybe some more depth will actually let us have a use for the materials that have absolutely no use in Mo1.

For example, making a shield with silver. Makes it better at blocking spells. Things like that. Armor with certain materials impact other factors. Like, if the "fear" system return(the one where mobs might not attack you because you look too strong for them) there could be materials when used could have a big impact on that factor vs specific mob types at the cost of being worse for protection and or weight.

Theodosius

Jul 24, 2020
A lot of the extraction system more or less is designed around real world metal and mineral processing, so I don't expect that to change at all, maybe if they actually add some new resources that are instead "fantasy" based...idk, made up with no real world equivalent.

And a lot of the systems are actually like that, and imo they were very well designed from the get go as far as making sense, so I don't think we'll see them change much either. They might do some reshuffling of the stats for the various materials which have stats like sharpness, blunt modifiers, density tho since that would just be adjusting values on their end.
I'm just worried about the race to the top. At least when MO1 first released everyone was ignorant to the systems & calculations. Now.. not so much. I do think they need to bring "bad" materials in line with the rest.

I'm also worried about bone armor stats since they were nerfed hard towards the end of MO1. I remember playing in 2013 where Molar was the standard for new players, but now "low" tier armors are just awful.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
I'm also worried about bone armor stats since they were nerfed hard towards the end of MO1. I remember playing in 2013 where Molar was the standard for new players, but now "low" tier armors are just awful.
They were not nerfed. If everything was nerfed, it was high tier armor.
Metal was just more rare back then, and therefore it was less used.

Reactions: Xunila

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
I'm just worried about the race to the top. At least when MO1 first released everyone was ignorant to the systems & calculations. Now.. not so much. I do think they need to bring "bad" materials in line with the rest.

Hah, I had both armor and bow crafting down to science already at release thanks to our diligent guinea pigs at AI.

Main problem at that time was servers barely stayed up at all.

My most fond memory was when I duped the entire server into thinking crepite was actually good for armor. That shit caught on so fast, all it took was giving that shit out for free to TNA alliance guild members and them either getting seen with it or dying in it.
I mean, sure. Any armor is better than no armor and the crit resistance was theoretically good on it(tbh dont think it even worked). But no one was using spears back then, this was past the pokey stick era. It was very hard keeping a straight face seeing everyone run around in pink/purple.

Theodosius

Jul 24, 2020
Hah, I had both armor and bow crafting down to science already at release thanks to our diligent guinea pigs at AI.

Main problem at that time was servers barely stayed up at all.

My most fond memory was when I duped the entire server into thinking crepite was actually good for armor. That shit caught on so fast, all it took was giving that shit out for free to TNA alliance guild members and them either getting seen with it or dying in it.
I mean, sure. Any armor is better than no armor and the crit resistance was theoretically good on it(tbh dont think it even worked). But no one was using spears back then, this was past the pokey stick era. It was very hard keeping a straight face seeing everyone run around in pink/purple.
Make flakestone armor great again

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020
In this early alpha stage we have just 5 pieces of armour.What do you guys thinking about keeping it like that?
It was sort of great to have so many options in MO1 but it was also often very hard to manage that many items.It always annoyed me when I was loosing one little piece and i had to relog to crafter to make it or make the next full set I had in supplies incomplete by borrowing stuff from it.Having less stuff could be better or making gloves and such more durable.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
armor takes up so much inventory space as 10 pieces. the customization options were incredible but there are only 5 hit boxes on players so having only 5 armor pieces makes a lot more sense. I would still like to have armor be craftable to an 'armor set' that takes up only one inventory slot until unpacked into the 5 items.

i could see the extra gear slots making more sense if there was more specialized purposed for each armor part, like if enchanting existed but only certain kinds of enchants could go on the various armor pieces (or rather, they would provide different benefits depending on the piece its on). since enchanting never existed, suppose its a moot point.

-barcode

• Love
Reactions: Zbuciorn

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020
armor takes up so much inventory space as 10 pieces. the customization options were incredible but there are only 5 hit boxes on players so having only 5 armor pieces makes a lot more sense. I would still like to have armor be craftable to an 'armor set' that takes up only one inventory slot until unpacked into the 5 items.

i could see the extra gear slots making more sense if there was more specialized purposed for each armor part, like if enchanting existed but only certain kinds of enchants could go on the various armor pieces (or rather, they would provide different benefits depending on the piece its on). since enchanting never existed, suppose its a moot point.

-barcode
I was a bit afraid of touching this subject and I if the community would like to approve those changes the devs may go for it.I do not think it would water down crafting but it sounds more like quality of life improvement.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
TBH, we could have smaller amount of slots taken up by armor(5 is a good number) but still have the same customization and depth we got now.
The only thing they'd have to change is that when you craft the armor part you decide which armor goes where in the same slots we got in mo1( example: shoulder,arm, glove) and it has a impact on the look and protection of the final product which is a collection of these. This way we don't lose the customization or the depth of the armor crafting, but makes equipping and storing easier.

And I too support being able to somehow bundle an entire armor set together to take up less space, without having to use bags. Maybe make it so armor sets in a bundle are too bulky to put in bags, too. Also perhaps make it so un-bundling and bundling the armor takes significant time. That way it wont be used in time pressed situations, but more for ease for storing when crafting or "retiring" a set for another.

Reactions: Zbuciorn

Slammington Unchained

May 28, 2020
TBH, we could have smaller amount of slots taken up by armor(5 is a good number) but still have the same customization and depth we got now.
The only thing they'd have to change is that when you craft the armor part you decide which armor goes where in the same slots we got in mo1( example: shoulder,arm, glove) and it has a impact on the look and protection of the final product which is a collection of these. This way we don't lose the customization or the depth of the armor crafting, but makes equipping and storing easier.

And I too support being able to somehow bundle an entire armor set together to take up less space, without having to use bags. Maybe make it so armor sets in a bundle are too bulky to put in bags, too. Also perhaps make it so un-bundling and bundling the armor takes significant time. That way it wont be used in time pressed situations, but more for ease for storing when crafting or "retiring" a set for another.
To your first part, I definitely agree my friend! Why have 10 slots where you have to go through the hassle of choosing shoulder, arms and gloves pieces just to cover arms when you can have 5 parts and make it so only crafters can choose the shoulder/arm/glove pieces while the average joe just has to deal with whatever the crafter settled on. This should make the game more appealing to the casuals which we need for the game to survive.

And for your second part I agree that having all your armor pieces spread out in your limited size inventory is terrible. I'd rather all these pieces be stored in a single cell to take up less inventory space. I just hated how MO1 inventory management mimicked that of Tarkov's where you could only carry like 3 sets of armor on your back without a pack. In a game that should be closer to WoW's level of hardcoreness, we should be able to bundle armor so we can carry 10-20 sets of armor easily.

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
Overall to the post and questions asked. Yes and No. Things like extraction may not be messed with, as Henrik mentioned some things will get changed somewhat, though most materials will remain the same.

When it comes to new players. They may bring in ways to learn how to make steel with missions saying things like " we need x y and z for steel, would you collect these for us?" Then a player learning how to mine, extract, and refine will be taught as you meet the teachers of those general actions. A player then would test what each rock break down is to and fill the order of x y and z.

I see this being a way for new players to learn to make simple combinations, while keeping the end all crafted items a hidden for the vets of MO1, but still giving new players a hand.

As for gear, it went from 10 to 5 already. It's fine imo, as a crafter who enjoys specializing gear for peoples builds. Would make it something new to work on because crafting will be slightly changed. I would assume this for weapons too when it comes to how much material to used. Also jewelry crafting will have it's own place as well as enhancements and enchantments. Which havent been messed with too much sense it was pushed out in MO1 quite fast.

When it comes to the vet vs noobie race. Anyone starting in alpha will have some what of a head start compared to others. This in turn makes vets knowledge of the map and how to create things will be minor if a new player sticks through alpha. Not to mention lots of vets will be back to help new players and this will effect the game for the better. We all know Steam release was doomed by reds becuase of their flagging system wasn't set up well(imo). Though players who enjoyed the game and invited others who enjoyed similar games, stuck around for awhile.

I feel this will come around more this time as people will be able to interact with Empires and regions, not just players. Truely giving you reason to stay in an area or terrorize one. Which will bring vets and new players together, not so much a race to the top. But maybe a race to build the biggest army. I can see Vets who love combat share info to new players they have in their guild to produce something they cant or dont have enough of. One character per account allows this the opportunity for vets to specialize how they like, also makes them show new players how to achieve good items while it benefiting the vet.

-Phen

Reactions: Xunila and Zbuciorn