An idea to make keeps awesome.

Luthienne

Apr 8, 2024
Some guildies and I were brainstorming on ways to make keeps a desirable goal for every guild.

1. Each keep should be given a unique architecture style, and when owned by a guild, every stronghold/house with a guild stone in it will have an option for a special skin that corresponds to that guild's keep. (i.e. The GK keep could have a risar theme, the Meduli keep could have a Meduli/desert theme). This would be cool because not only would it make each keep interesting aesthetically (rather than all of them having the same generic look), but it would also incentive keep ownership if you want a certain skin for your house/stronghold. Maybe even guard towers could have the skin, but I'd settle for just player housing/keeps.

2. Each keep should give access to a unique crafted item, which can only be made by crafters of that profession, and only at a special table in that keep. Some keeps may have a unique armor set, some may have unique weapons, some may have unique bows or pet equipments. They shouldn't be too powerful (sort of like risar weapons compared to standard weapons), but this will give crafters and fighters alike a reason to want a given keep.

3. Limit this bonus so that guilds with two or more keeps can't hoard all the cool stuff. Perhaps there should even be a limit on the number of keeps a guild can control as a way to prevent this, say 2 maximum.

These are just two ideas, and of course the relic system will make keeps important for defending relics, as well as relics being an incentive for attacking a keep.

Reactions: Jackdstripper

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
yea the problem w/ limitations is they can just make another guild haha.

I think merging the relic idea with keeps is cool, like IF you are in a keep you get a relic buff. But I dunno. It also seems gamey.

Keeps should be desirable because they are the only 'actual' TC that existed in the game... before TC. It's proof TC is out of control. I definitely think keeps could have unique skins, but just having a keep should be good enough. They are plotted out by location, they are strategic positions that, as I said, were put into the game based on resource allocation. They are as important as towns position wise. The fact that they are not useful is a game flaw not a keep flaw.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
I like the idea of unique architecture, and unique armour styles, but buffs or special weapons might ruin the pvp balance even more than it is right now. Its a very slippery slope.

Frankly keeps should be about territory and should give territory related perks such as income from taxes, special structures, unique perks and influence with the law in its territory. Keeps should generate gold enough to be a sought after asset. It should be lucrative to own a keep.

I also loved the old system in MO1 where you could build a string of towers to the nearest town and take control of it (everything except the option to turn guards off). It was fun as hell and had keep owning guilds constantly trying to dismantle enemies tower chains to put up their own. This would often spark sieges and server wars. There were bragging right as well as tangible benefits to controlling the local town such as blacklisting enemy guilds and individual players. There was an actual point to owning a keep.

Last edited:

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I like the idea of unique architecture, and unique armour styles, but buffs or special weapons might ruin the pvp balance even more than it is right now. Its a very slippery slope.

Frankly keeps should be about territory and should give territory related perks such as income from taxes, special structures, unique perks and influence with the law in its territory. Keeps should generate gold enough to be a sought after asset. It should be lucrative to own a keep.

I also loved the old system in MO1 where you could build a string of towers to the nearest town and take control of it (everything except the option to turn guards off). It was fun as hell and had keep owning guilds constantly trying to dismantle enemies tower chains to put up their own. This would often spark sieges and server wars. There were bragging right as well as tangible benefits to controlling the local town such as blacklisting enemy guilds and individual players. There was an actual point to owning a keep.

with how stagnant the game is now, people might be able to hold a blacklist. Whenever I remember someone getting black listed, everyone would be like NO BLACKLIST and knock down their tower haha.

I still think cities are the key to fixing MO. Tower control is one of those things, but it's not the only one.

People talk about the map being too big, but if there is more to do around cities then plenty of action can happen, and people can travel if they wish.

I dunno if they put it back in, but I even miss the message "you are in '____' territory." I dislike the 'control' aspects of TC like walls and gating, but development options and power should be given to keep owners. The key is to make things allow more, opposed to have things limit.

Not sure how many people wanna play slave simulator.