Will bought modular assets be personalized?

Veracious

Jul 21, 2020
We all know about the assets bought on the UE4 marketplace now, but we have never had the concerns addressed by Starvault.

The problem with the current asset implementation is that they bought a pack of modular assets like the fabernum one, (Basically the whole town was bought) and kept the default demonstration layout of the town that is visible on the store page and in youtube videos from 5 years ago, wiht only a few minor changes.

I don't have a problem with Starvault buying assets, but I would expect them to at least use the modular parts to create their own unique layout that represents the original town at a minimum.

The same goes for kranesh, the whole town was bought as an asset pack, which allows you to use the walls roofs and everything to make your own town, but instead they kept basically all the assets in the same place as on the store and didnt bother to recreate the actual layout of kranesh.

We've seen Henrik address the asset buying before, stating that its a jump start for simple things that saves a lot of time, and that is completely true, but it doesnt address the fact that seemingly no effort was made to actually personalize any of the towns.

We arent questioning the amount of effort and time it takes to import the bought assets, we're questioning why the modular assets weren't used for creating the original towns or at the very least creating something unique and not "cut and pasted" from the demo layout.

In my mind, when you buy assets like this, you're buying the building blocks to create your own things, whereas starvault seems to think they have bought the building blocks as well as the creativity of the person who put them on the asset store.

Fabernum asset video:

• Sad
Reactions: Najwalaylah
D

Dracu

i think its fine, even if the layout is premade. Its a well made demo, and if the demo is in the bought assets then its completly okay to use. I personally would like if some details get removed, there are a shitload of small objects that dont necessiarilly have to be there. Less objects better fps^^

Reactions: Zbuciorn

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Yeah I might do a bigger thread on it. Actually while the game looks good, it misses a lot of "mortal" things. It looks generic, good, but generic. Sorta like telling the worldbuilder: Make a medievaly fantasy world - and they never looked at MO1 or the artwork.

Not saying it could not work, but looking somewhat original is helpful for a game.

Last edited:
Reactions: PatWins

gideon

Jul 21, 2020
How many cities are in the game and are all of them made by purchased assets?