Weapon Skills - All in one?

Would you like to combine weapon skills into one parent primary?

• Total voters

Boden

Apr 5, 2021
This sounds just like you want to use the best weapon to counter every other weapon. Specialization should go both ways. I like the current system.

Reactions: KermyWormy

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I like the limiting people to a few weapons to be skilled at. But its kinda hard to have all the points to be able to do two things. If you are a archer you will have to also be a melee fighter. Their is just not enough points to do two styles of combat. I got rid of swim, rest, and minimized taming to just allow me horses. There is some other skill I get rid of but its pushing it and all of the bow skills are not in game yet either. I want to craft at least one weapon that I would need but I might just have to drop mining as you cant master making bows and lets say spears.

I think they might need some type of adjustment or change to the system to allow us to have two full combat styles. Crafting skills have a similar issue.

I didn't vote either way for this, I think their is a issue but the solution I might not like.

Branjolf

May 22, 2021
I like the limiting people to a few weapons to be skilled at. But its kinda hard to have all the points to be able to do two things. If you are a archer you will have to also be a melee fighter. Their is just not enough points to do two styles of combat. I got rid of swim, rest, and minimized taming to just allow me horses. There is some other skill I get rid of but its pushing it and all of the bow skills are not in game yet either. I want to craft at least one weapon that I would need but I might just have to drop mining as you cant master making bows and lets say spears.

I think they might need some type of adjustment or change to the system to allow us to have two full combat styles. Crafting skills have a similar issue.

Our total primary points almost got cut down in half compared to MO1 (old 4x1100 vs now 1100+1200) +/- some clades) but we still have the same primary sytem. The world is 6x bigger but now with only one character (ofc people will get several Accs - its just a fact - Either enforce 1 Character per player by limiting accounts to 1 or give more character slots). Why wouldnt you want your single character to be more versatile?

I cant understand how people can be against quality of life improvements. But then again, people constantly troll about boats even though its a nonfactor system for the forseeable future.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Our total primary points almost got cut down in half compared to MO1 (old 4x1100 vs now 1100+1200) +/- some clades) but we still have the same primary sytem. The world is 6x bigger but now with only one character (ofc people will get several Accs - its just a fact - Either enforce 1 Character per player by limiting accounts to 1 or give more character slots). Why wouldnt you want your single character to be more versatile?

I cant understand how people can be against quality of life improvements. But then again, people constantly troll about boats even though its a nonfactor system for the forseeable future.
I really think you will have to have at least two account to play this game. Just crafting aside which is a definite 2 account minimum to be self sufficient and not poor. You wont be able to be try out other weapons or styles really to experience the content.

Also think its content locking too. Lots of the game you might need to get a second account to have fun with. I really like the having only one character thing but when you gimp them out like this then people just by pass the one player (playing as yourself) concept which is enjoyable.

There is a problem here but Im not sure of the solution.

Reactions: Branjolf

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
right now the weapon types are mostly generic. sure they all do a little different damage and have different swing arcs but in the end is all just damage. if SV is to be believed, each weapon type will have its own 'special' abilities to make choosing them more or less attractive. of course they havent added these yet and when henrik mentions something like this it means its been talked about before in-house and maybe has a spot in the ever growing list of features they have in the backlog but has no guarantee that it'll see the light of day.

you might not be able to effectively use the weapons you loot but maybe some of your guild mates will. It just means you have another decision to make about your weapon skills and playstyle. I think the lack of availability for multiple playstyles can be better addressed in other ways than just letting everyone do everything.

-barcode

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I disagree, you should not get every weapon in the game for 100 points. This is REALLY powerful as certain weapons are better for certain situations. Especially if they make certain weapons even more situationally useful such as say, polearms against cavalry or lances on horseback.

What I wouldn't mind seeing though, is it restructured so it takes A LOT LESS points to be a swiss army knife character. I wouldn't mind seeing something like a "weaponmaster" skill that takes 3 points per level but has every weapon underneath it as a secondary. 300 points seems a reasonable investment to know every weapon in the game.

I could also see making skills like "Human weapon specialization", "Ohgmir Weapon Specialization" etc. if you wanted 100 points for axes and hammers as an ohgmir or something.

Reactions: Kokolo

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
People here are missing that just because you can use every weapon doesnt mean your going to carry 6 weapons on you. Its a waste of materials if you die. People will still only bring 1 or 2.

and to people saying its too op because dif weps are better for different situations- They should have thought that through when they made it 1 char slot only. My character needs to be good at more than 1 situation now. I bought the game and have to sub. The logic for everything cant be to collaborate join a guild bla bla. People need to actually be able to do stuff. Games are supposed to be fun, not a chore. Let collaboration be for people who want to do it.

And I fully support making weapon clade gifts not weapon specific. If SV wants to take the easy way, just make it give 20 points into every weapon primary.
when they only max the one of choice having 20 random primaries in other ones wont matter.

Reactions: Rorry and Branjolf

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Ive been thinking about a solution. Similar to Kaemiks while making sure people cant be swiss army knives of combat.
Right now I depending on the some factors a person could get almost all of the melee weapons skills and combat skills if they give up Gathering, Archery, magic, Rest, Taming/riding and Swimming.

I would say that specing in to a weapon skill should have some cross over. How is a Master of the sword unable to use a dagger. Being a master of the sword should realistically have some cross over of skill into swinging a club.

Perhaps give a bonuses to other weapon skills from learning one skill. For every 10 points in sword you get three or two points into Daggers. One point into the other weapons per 10 points into sword. These bonuses can cap out at 30 or lower. Allows people to spec into at least one more skill to increase the content of melee weapons. Axes and Blunt can be synergistic as well. Of course the strength bonus and other bonus will not count toward the synergy bonus for weapons. It has to be straight from the number of skill points you have in a skill. So maxing out a sword that had +10 from Stats to even out to 100 on it, would only give 8 synergy skill point bonus to clubs. Meaning clubs would be 18 points and a dagger could be 34 if sword gave 3 per 10.

I feel like the skill system is almost there for allowing people a good amount of content. Allowing skill synergy would just nudge a aspect of the game into allowing more combat content while limiting the ability to have lots of counters.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
The logic for everything cant be to collaborate join a guild bla bla.
Let collaboration be for people who want to do it.
this *is* an MMO after all... i think its expected that playing solo in a multiplayer game is going to give you a disadvantage..

yea it sucks theres never enough primary points to do what you want ... but thats *always* the case. 1100 points used to be 1000 back in the day, imagine the tears back then.

i'd be much more in favor of some way to store your build so you can swap to something else and back. Restrict it by requiring a certain rare item to swap builds, maybe bring back the old 'deva' concept. be a fatmage one day, skill up a foot fighter the next, and swap between them when needed (depending on availability of the rare). Each build is limited but at least you can switch it up. maybe restrict it so profession skills dont get stored.

-barcode

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
this *is* an MMO after all... i think its expected that playing solo in a multiplayer game is going to give you a disadvantage..
The problem is MO and most of its players go too far with that logic. Its a mmo, your going to be at a disadvantage solo no matter what. But MO tries to bring it to the extreme to prevent any solo players from even wanting to consider looking at the game because how limited they are. Someone who made 4 alts so they could do more were still at a disadvantage, they still had to do 4x the work. But now they cant even do that, the game just says no. They arent even allowed to do more work to be viable solo.

Branjolf

May 22, 2021
I find it funny how people think that being able to use different weapons will make you OP ... o_O ... also lets not forget that people actually have to carry several weapons at once to switch ... which will never haben during combat ... and btw people go out to farm naked or in BT ...