Weapon Crafting

Piet

May 28, 2020
Crafting doesn't seem to make nearly as much of a difference in MO2. I made a fully sponge wood weapon handle, and blade and a fully tungsteel weapon, handle and blade. The swing speed is the same. The stam is about the same.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Crafting doesn't seem to make nearly as much of a difference in MO2. I made a fully sponge wood weapon handle, and blade and a fully tungsteel weapon, handle and blade. The swing speed is the same. The stam is about the same.
Yes things are not in a good place atm. Swing speeds change with ping btw. Low ping = no animation play correctly swing comes before animation swing starts, high ping = swing is often delayed until way after animation is done playing.

Swing charge speeds are the same, super low the lower ping and highly delayed the higher ping.
They have a system in place that delays more and more the higher ping you have.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
I liked the complexity in the systems that were in place for 10 years and that kept me and many other playing.

Sadly Mortal Online 2 has not improved on these systems. So far everything except graphical fidelity and differentiating by durability was a step backwards.

I strongly feel that @Henrik Nyström should remember his strength as a leader of talented people and hire Mats or someone with similar gifts back to improve these areas. I mean there has been much talk about how this time SV won´t be held back by technology and I do remember Mats talking about the fact, that f.e. the UI held them back a lot. I think Mortal Online 2 should surpass the first in every aspect and for that crafting, extraction etc. need to be improved and lead back to the original vision.

Last edited:

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
yes they capped the minimums so you cant be endlessly fast which makes sense because when you reach the point where you cant parry a hit even when its 3 dmg this weapon will win every fight when used properly. whats still very different is the damage between the materials.

the job of a weapon crafter was too simple in MO1 because the materials didnt had strong enough trade offs beside blunt damage for stone age weapons and the handle science was redundant.
later in the game it felt like something is missing. a system whish favours knowledge and dedication so you feel rewarded for a good recipe which fits good to a certain role, not just for farming materials/gold and XP.
i hope for real craftsmanship maybe with materials in mixed ratios with a non linear optimum in the way how alloys work or you can choose how much material you put in which could also affects the physical volume/diameter.

Piet

May 28, 2020
yes they capped the minimums so you cant be endlessly fast which makes sense because when you reach the point where you cant parry a hit even when its 3 dmg this weapon will win every fight when used properly. whats still very different is the damage between the materials.

the job of a weapon crafter was too simple in MO1 because the materials didnt had strong enough trade offs beside blunt damage for stone age weapons and the handle science was redundant.
later in the game it felt like something is missing. a system whish favours knowledge and dedication so you feel rewarded for a good recipe which fits good to a certain role, not just for farming materials/gold and XP.
i hope for real craftsmanship maybe with materials in mixed ratios with a non linear optimum in the way how alloys work or you can choose how much material you put in which could also affects the physical volume/diameter.
You missed out on a lot if you thought weapon crafting was simple in MO1. It means you didn't get into weakspots and there was things you could do with the handle that were amazing but only worked on some weapons and not others. But you are correct they need to make a system that favors knowledge and dedication. The current crafting where it caps the minimum and maximum just limits that knowledge and dedication. Cause yes super fast weapons can be strong but can be countered with other things like armor or they would have been meta in MO1.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
You missed out on a lot if you thought weapon crafting was simple in MO1. It means you didn't get into weakspots and there was things you could do with the handle that were amazing but only worked on some weapons and not others. But you are correct they need to make a system that favors knowledge and dedication. The current crafting where it caps the minimum and maximum just limits that knowledge and dedication. Cause yes super fast weapons can be strong but can be countered with other things like armor or they would have been meta in MO1.
i was into everything i even read out the weakspot chance of every material with a net tool...
after i saw all parameters i was coming to the conlusion its too simple.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Yes it was very simple in its design, thats why it was broken and horrible to balance.

The only thing MO crafting did good was the vast amount of different weapons you could make with it, but it was also the worst part of it since that was the only issue with balancing it.
Change 1 small thing on a handle and one of the combinations would get OP or nerfed into the ground.

It was good for theory crafting and experimentation but other than that it was utter trash since SV did not manage to balance it or give more than 5% of weapon combinations viability.
That in itself is a horrible crafting system in a game.

Only reason it was praised for its "in depth" was because of the amount of combinations you could do, but if you think viability and usefulness its a very shallow crafting system that took away alot more than it gave.