Using VR software to play in VR.

belad

Apr 8, 2021
Has anybody tried this yet? I know that a few softwares allow you to play first person shooters in vr. Had anyone tried this in Mo1 or even in Mo2 yet?

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Mo1 had some VR support and was pretty ok from what i've heard.

Henrik has shown some interest in giving us much better VR support in mo2 for the future, but I wouldn't try to use something like vorpx right now, since we do not have freelook which will make it a horrible experience.

Reactions: belad

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
I used the oculus rift dev kit 2 to play MO1. It was pretty weird and kind of cool, but not very viable. Back then you had to use a 3rd party software (above mentioned vorpx) to make the image split for vr, and that software didn’t add the correct stereoscopic rendering (gives the 3D effect) to MO1. So yea it was “playable” but not very enjoyable. Kind of like a flat vr....hard to explain.

it was cool to walk around Tindrem and get a feel for the huge scale of the actual buildings, and walk around the guilds keep. I even tried to do some friendly dueling but the weapons would clip right through me and stuff. But the lack of depth was quite jarring and not very pleasant especially when there was a lot of fast movement.

The best games for vr require native stereoscopic rendering built in, so until SV adds that feature in MO2 you won’t be able to do much.

also, the dev kit 2 was a very open and “developer friendly” headset. I have no idea how it works with all the newer retail ones.

Last edited:

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
I used the oculus rift dev kit 2 to play MO1. It was pretty weird and kind of cool, but not very viable. Back then you had to use a 3rd party software (above mentioned vorpx) to make the image split for vr, and that software didn’t add the correct stereoscopic rendering (gives the 3D effect) to MO1. So yea it was “playable” but not very enjoyable. Kind of like a flat vr....hard to explain.

it was cool to walk around Tindrem and get a feel for the huge scale of the actual buildings, and walk around the guilds keep. I even tried to do some friendly dueling but the weapons would clip right through me and stuff. But the lack of depth was quite jarring and not very pleasant especially when there was a lot of fast movement.

The best games for vr require native stereoscopic rendering built in, so until SV adds that feature in MO2 you won’t be able to do much.

also, the dev kit 2 was a very open and “developer friendly” headset. I have no idea how it works with all the newer retail ones.
VR with the newer headsets is a lot easier for devs these days. They are all sort of technology cross-compatible, so they have a much easier time with having support for more than just one headset. UE4 and UE5 have a lot of stuff built in for VR so they have that going for them too.

But I would not expect it any time soon, priorities are important.