Teleportation stones - Reminiscent of UO's system and possibly a solution to naked traveling

Good? Bad?

• Total voters

billbonty

Nov 17, 2020
Two stones.
Cost 50g each (weigh 10). Can vendor for 50g each. (allowing highwaymen to rob them)
Placing one lasts 6 hours. Placing another causes the first to be destroyed or dropped.
You have a 'home' stone. And a 'destination' stone.
You place the home stone down.
you have 6 hours.
You travel and place the destination stone down.
It has 6 hours.
The duration of the home stone determines the duration of the active link. (because it would be the lesser amount of time)
You must be naked and no weight to enter through the home stone (excludes spellbooks).
People can come and go as they please to the destination but only FROM the home stone.
This could mean only one person travels to a dungeon alone and summons their whole group there after placing the destination and they have to gear up based on what the traveler brought.
Or summon reinforcements to defend and they have to arm up at the keep/defense position of choice.
Stones would be tagged blue. It would be a crime to attack them.
People could set them up and charge a toll if they wanted.
Perhaps linking the home/destination could be like a password you set when you place down either stone.
Place down home stone. Text box comes up. You type in "minos". 6 hours starts.
Destination stone gets placed down. Text box comes up. You type in "minos". Link established. 6 hours starts.

Positives: Easy travel, money sink, NO transporting of valuable items, saves time of everyone involved, opens a new market for both delivery/setup/use, and would be dangerous if you trust the wrong person... just like everything else in MO

Downsides: ....i mean you could get lost... or trolled... people would know you are traveling or about to if you placed one in town...

Last edited:

Vakirauta

May 28, 2020
Poland
I was always against tp stuff but you mentioned some pros and inconveniences. After a little reflection I would go neutral if there would be an option but cant remove my vote :c

Reactions: billbonty

billbonty

Nov 17, 2020
I was always against tp stuff but you mentioned some pros and inconveniences. After a little reflection I would go neutral if there would be an option but cant remove my vote :c
This method has to do with strictly the teleportation of the player itself. This teleportation won't have an effect on the transportation of goods or small items. Those could not be moved using this.

This would only be useful for people who don't want to walk naked or 'ghost' from place to place. In some cases potentially causing people to save hours of their day in wasted travel time. Not to mention, defending keeps and structures would be made more likely and cause the large map size to not get in the way as much.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Counter proposal.

Gateways, which are static in the world. But an item and or magic is needed to turn them on (Meaning they are turned off unless providing the proper item or having a mage who can turn it on.)

Them being in static locations prevents stupid abusage of such a mechanic (Cause we know it'll happen) but it would also make some areas more important than others. Just a thought.

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
just a instand ghost option would be cool just instand ghosting to the other end of the world in 10seconds as a ghost, would be awesome.
than the shitty long as boring travel times would annoy less if you wanna play with your mates a dungoen or something.

Grisù

Sep 3, 2020
First of all I would like to congratulate you for the whole system you thought about, for a scratch idea it is quite solid.

But honestly in a game like MO2 i hate every kind of teleportation/fast traveling.
As i understood till now MO2 has to be Sandbox with real player driven economy based on risk, effort, quality, quantity/rarity, etc.

Making a feature to bypass the "empty-travel" is a way to compromise the economy system, plus that makes every foot traveler a goods transporter, making thieves work more optimized if there are no more empty travelers around Nave.

In the end in MO2 (at least in mi thoughts) every travel should matter, you never know what to expect, who will you encounter or what you will you discover.
If i could i would even find a way to avoid the ghost traveling abuse.

tl:dr version:
Very good idea but no, thanks.

Edited to add content:
just a instand ghost option would be cool just instand ghosting to the other end of the world in 10seconds as a ghost, would be awesome.
than the shitty long as boring travel times would annoy less if you wanna play with your mates a dungoen or something.

I respect your idea but honestly i dislike it in a lot of different ways.
It feels like adding the "Dungeon party finder lobby" feature of a themepark game.
My thoughts nothing personal.

Last edited:

billbonty

Nov 17, 2020
First of all I would like to congratulate you for the whole system you thought about, for a scratch idea it is quite solid.

But honestly in a game like MO2 i hate every kind of teleportation/fast traveling.
As i understood till now MO2 has to be Sandbox with real player driven economy based on risk, effort, quality, quantity/rarity, etc.

Making a feature to bypass the "empty-travel" is a way to compromise the economy system, plus that makes every foot traveler a goods transporter, making thieves work more optimized if there are no more empty travelers around Nave.

In the end in MO2 (at least in mi thoughts) every travel should matter, you never know what to expect, who will you encounter or what you will you discover.
If i could i would even find a way to avoid the ghost traveling abuse.

tl:dr version:
Very good idea but no, thanks.

Edited to add content:

I respect your idea but honestly i dislike it in a lot of different ways.
It feels like adding the "Dungeon party finder lobby" feature of a themepark game.
My thoughts nothing personal.
i mean without teleporting i'm just going to portal out and travel like i did in mo1. It will be bland, annoying, and now 6x longer of a journey than before. Traveling naked on foot will never be an option for me and why should it when i have magic.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
i mean without teleporting i'm just going to portal out and travel like i did in mo1. It will be bland, annoying, and now 6x longer of a journey than before. Traveling naked on foot will never be an option for me and why should it when i have magic.

That is a specific perks that you invested time and skillpoints in and you still have to ghost there. In theory SV could make that journey just as dangerous as going in the realm of living. That was their original plan anyway.

Make the journey a journey, rather than a chore. Then you would not have to circumvent it with other mechanics.

WIth most things you can go back to the original design and find solutions there. SV never managed to get those correct in the first game but I think they should try it this time around. Taking short cuts will only hurt in the long run.

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
the op idea is shit, i mean ghosting in general.

No, there is the home priest option and I think giving weight to your decisions is important.

Planning strategically, playing smart should be rewarded instead of being circumventing by farming a lot.

That being said out of all the teleportation ideas this is a better one. Still a solid no from me though.
im still stick that ghost instand everywhere is good because not everyone can play 24/7 and if you wanna make dungeon with your 4mates for example they dont have 24/7 to play, and if you have to wait for someone for 3 hours to travle to you its jsut shit sry. same the other way round. hotspots would be weekend where everybody make dungeons and stuff. and anyone who have time durring normal working time have advantage, and everyone that dont have much time dotn have a chance.

Instand ghost porting withotu any items and stuff would be perfect it would eliminate that boring ghosting back. ghosting stealing time from you for nothing you dont have anything if you staring at your screne 1 hour just to get without items form point a to point b, that is so pointless.

my fear is that many groups will say "ok fuck it, lets play rust, atleast there i dont have to ghost 2 hours to play with my mates"

Last edited:

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
the op's idea is shit i mean:

I man you know what i mean.

the player should have more time actually playing the game and doing action stuff and engaging stuff, instead of shit as boring tasks like ghosting.

no items in ghost mode allowed. no transfer of bullshit in ghost mode and so on is a good think. no tiems in ghost mode is good.

but ghosting in general: I mena some realtalk here, ghosting just eats time for what? why dont make it like one guy going to the end of the world with the euippment he actually traveling there, than the rest of you and your mates just insta ghost there and equip the stuff form your mate that normally traveld there and have fun. to transport the loot from dungeon you must walk normally back so theres no balance problem the only thing is.

you save a few hours of lame as ghosting time, that is not engaging and that is not fun.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
im still stick that ghost instand everywhere is good because not everyone can play 24/7 and if you wanna make dungeon with your 4mates for example they dont have 24/7 to play, and if you have to wait for someone for 3 hours to travle to you its jsut shit sry. same the other way round. hotspots would be weekend where everybody make dungeons and stuff. and anyone who have time durring normal working time have advantage, and everyone that dont have much time dotn have a chance.

Instand ghost porting withotu any items and stuff would be perfect it would eliminate that boring ghosting back. ghosting stealing time from you for nothing you dont have anything if you staring at your screne 1 hour just to get without items form point a to point b, that is so pointless.

my fear is that many groups will say "ok fuck it, lets play rust, atleast there i dont have to ghost 2 hours to play with my mates"

That´s hyperbole. Ghosting is extremely fast. One end of the map to the other would probably take 30 minutes maximum. It has nothing to do with not everyone being able to "play 24/7". It is about having a hardcore game where your choices and thinking matters. It´s also the reason why we have full loot and open PvP.

None of this solves the issue of doing a dungeon with your mates. Because you are still naked when you teleport. You still would have to set up gear, materials etc. If the only reason you are not doing a dungeon is that you have to ghost for 10-30 minutes then you might wanna play candy crush.

Doing a dungeon that is far away from your base of operations will require some thinking. That is a good thing. If you live in Tindrem doing the Fabernum dungeon, sewers or Meduli ruins is easy. If you want to do the Sator dungeon you might have to take materials with you and set up shop in jungle camp.

All of this fosters local communities. And if you fail, didn´t prepare anything you can even teleport back to your home priest.

I get how you want everything in the game to be casual, because you think that will attract people. It won´t. There is a million casual games out there - all with a higher production value than MO2.

Reactions: PatWins