Suggestion To Increase Mage skill ceiling

Speeddevil

Oct 14, 2020
My idea is stealing from WoW.
Make it so that a mage spell books can have variations of a spell, example would be:
Thunderlash tier 1
Thunderlash tier 2
Thunderlash tier 3
Now you ask, what's the difference between the them?
My suggestion would make it so all three tier have the same cast time and animation, the only difference would be the mana conversation to dmg.
Tier 3 would be what it is now I think its around 40 dmg, I don't remember the mana cost but lets say it takes 30 mana. The ratio would be 2 dmg to 1.33 mana.
Make it so:
Tier 1 is 2:0.7 = 20dmg to 7mana
Tier 2 is 2:1 = 30dmg to 15mana
Tier 3 is 2:1.33 = 40dmg to 30mana

This just allows for mages to have more decisions and min max their mana, you can choose to cast two Tier 1 and save 6 mana or cast 1 tier 3 and has 6 less mana, but saved a lot more time.

PatWins

May 28, 2020
Good idea! Sadly people will probably stop reading when you say WoW. However, this is actually a solid idea.

Mages will have a wider range of choices and more buttons to worry about. That small change will automatically make the mage gameplay more satisfying while simultaneously raising the skill ceiling.

I remember healing on my holy priest in Vanilla/BC and prioritizing different ranked heals to maximize my mana pool.

Last edited:
Reactions: Speeddevil

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Yup, it is the same thought that is behind greater and lesser heal. It would be good if they expanded this towards the rest of the spells.

I don´t think it should variants of the same spells. Giving mages "more bottoms" to worry about is not a good way of balancing them in a first-person shooter. Actual movement, aiming, range and missile speed should be used for those.

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
I like the idea, but I don't think you need to have different tiers of the same spell. If you look at ecumenical on its own (as Eldrath mentioned) there is already greater and lesser heal. They do exactly the same thing (granted different cast times) heal x amount for y mana cost. Thunderlash and Fireball would be the dmg comparison. It kind of already exists in the game, though limited in its choices.

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing more variations to give more choices so you can choose the right spell for the right situation.

Reactions: MolagAmur

Rhias

May 28, 2020
I like the idea, but I don't think you need to have different tiers of the same spell. If you look at ecumenical on its own (as Eldrath mentioned) there is already greater and lesser heal. They do exactly the same thing (granted different cast times) heal x amount for y mana cost. Thunderlash and Fireball would be the dmg comparison. It kind of already exists in the game, though limited in its choices.

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing more variations to give more choices so you can choose the right spell for the right situation.

Basically a slider between lesser and greater heal or fireball and flamestrike, that would determine range/damage/mana consumption. And then that "configuration" can be saved as a shortcut for the hotbar...

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
instead of spell levels, why not have the ability to undercharge/overcharge spells, have a charging circle similar to how melee weapons work.

undercharging and overcharging should be less mana efficient than the 'standard' charge amount. so in this way you would reduce the minimum time to charge a spell but with less damage and the same mana cost. if you stay and charge the spell past the normal amount, mana use will increase as well as the damage output up to some limit (at an unfavorable rate for mana use).

perhaps if you overcharge past what you can manage, it will cause damage to the caster and the spell will be lost, like a mana burn.

-barcode

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
If they really want to increase mage ceiling they should reduce the range on fireball and mental projectile, only real projectiles should be long range spells its too op with hitscan.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
I don't think its a horrible idea, but I think you're overcomplicating it and I don't see any real benefits to it. As Kelzyr said, they already have spells to give you options. And with how many magic schools they want to come out...I think there will be plenty of options in the future. I'm not gonna say I would hate it if they did this...but I think its a waste of time.

If they really want to increase mage ceiling they should reduce the range on fireball and mental projectile, only real projectiles should be long range spells its too op with hitscan.
Meh. Fireball has a cast time and uses mana. Its basically a weaker version of a bow, right?

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Playing Darkfall made me want a way better magic system, MO1's magic was kind of just 'there' for me and I played mage a couple of times.

Wasn't hard to really play them, and you mostly just support your group for the most part.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
here comes harry potter into play:
you draw symbols in the air with a glowing magic stick. never mess with hermione granger.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
I don't think its a horrible idea, but I think you're overcomplicating it and I don't see any real benefits to it. As Kelzyr said, they already have spells to give you options. And with how many magic schools they want to come out...I think there will be plenty of options in the future. I'm not gonna say I would hate it if they did this...but I think its a waste of time.

Meh. Fireball has a cast time and uses mana. Its basically a weaker version of a bow, right?
Not really. Arrows are actually projectiles, but they are pretty fast so you dont notice it much at short range. At long range tho you do have to lead targets, with hitscan you just click on the hitbox.

Darkfall had a pretty good balance with their hitscan vs projectile spells. Rays (which were the only hitscan spells) were very short range while only projectiles were long range. It worked out pretty well.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Not really. Arrows are actually projectiles, but they are pretty fast so you dont notice it much at short range. At long range tho you do have to lead targets, with hitscan you just click on the hitbox.

Darkfall had a pretty good balance with their hitscan vs projectile spells. Rays (which were the only hitscan spells) were very short range while only projectiles were long range. It worked out pretty well.

Agreed 100%

FreeHorses

Jul 2, 2020
All I want is more healing spells.
Make a healing spell like fulm that heals after a certain time after you cast it on someone.
Make a healing spell like corrupt that heals someone in small ticks.
Make a healing spell like fireball that heals really far away but doesn't do much healing.
Make a healing spell that heals for alot at a long range but you need to charge it and keep ur cursor on them the entire time like mental projectile.

more ways to do certain things contextually will make the skill cealing go up.
The days of spamming lessers needs to go away.

Reactions: PatWins

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
All I want is more healing spells.
Make a healing spell like fulm that heals after a certain time after you cast it on someone.
Make a healing spell like corrupt that heals someone in small ticks.
Make a healing spell like fireball that heals really far away but doesn't do much healing.
Make a healing spell that heals for alot at a long range but you need to charge it and keep ur cursor on them the entire time like mental projectile.

more ways to do certain things contextually will make the skill cealing go up.
The days of spamming lessers needs to go away.

Can agree to that honestly. Lessers were just the way to go, sure Greaters bomb healed people but Lessers were just faster and more mana efficient long term.

Different types of HoT (Heal over Time) that ticks at different intervals and different amounts.

AoE (Area of Effect) heals that heal all targets in a certain vicinity. Should make it channeled and standing still.

Hell, I think it'd be cool to see a school of magic about protection magic / healing magic where you can reduce incoming damage, etc.

Reactions: PatWins