[Suggestion] SV & Community - Encourage forum activity & usage

Should SV & the playerbase utilize and encourage more forum use?

• Total voters

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Star Vault should begin utilizing the forums more effectively and filling in the role of polling the community for introductions and or balance changes to the game.

I also believe Star Vault should begin heavily encouraging feedback be re-directed through the forums where conversations are more easily followed rather than bullheaded back and fourth bickering in the Discord.

Players should begin advertising usage of the forums in-game, in Discord, and in their own Discords. Guild leaders / officers, I'm looking at you as well. It's in my opinion an obligation to have you and your groups voice heard.

The most we usually push on player polls is about 120+. That's pretty sad in the grand scheme of things, and I know this isn't a huge turnout and I dislike seeing people consistently use the argument of "well ackshually the poll shows people like X more so ur wrong!!" when the fact is only a tenth or maybe even less of people actually participate in them.

1. Star Vault needs to make dev-posted polls on major changes that might have controversy. 70% or more in an option in my eyes is a good number to go by. Anything less it's too low to have full support IMO.

2. Star Vault needs to push the usage of the forums with members of Star Vault actively guiding, conducting, and conveying information from players to SV - from SV to players. We need a community manager, with some people under him. Feels like we're talking in empty halls sometimes.

3. Players need to get others, guild members, friends with the game, etc. to begin using the forums actively.

If you want a better game than MO1, both to the players and SV, you need to create constructive environments.

All opinions on additions or changes need to be based on facts, statistical information, or reasoning which can be followed coherently.

Anecdotal information can be important from the perspective of a well-seasoned MO1 player as much as people want to, for some reason, shit on us as a collective because "the game didn't initially appeal to them". Well, maybe listen to us and give our experience a chance because some of us played way longer and through way more shit then you ever did and understand SV and MO way better than you ever will.

We don't have random reasonings unlike some. Our opinions can be sometimes based off of YEARS of gameplay.

Point being, we need more forum activity. SV needs to step up to the plate and get us a community manager, and the members of MO need to heavily encourage discussion here.

Reactions: ThaBadMan and Rorry

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Always down for more forum bang. Where the true pvp skills are garnered.

When you do, do polls I encourage a secret ballot.

People will be like " REALLY YOU VOTED FOR THIS". Influences results

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Always down for more forum bang. Where the true pvp skills are garnered.

When you do, do polls I encourage a secret ballot.

People will be like " REALLY YOU VOTED FOR THIS". Influences results
I think it's important for transparency sake. Maybe SV can do that, but I personally like knowing who voted for what. It gives a better, genuine idea on why someone thinks the way they do.

I mean, think about it. There are people in that 'is combat good' poll you made and notice how we have more people in the positive then negative, but no idea who these players might be. These can be people like IronTengu who want the game to be complete safezones, and want PvP to be near non-existent.

Some of these people quite literally want it to stay the way it is, not because it is better; but because it is easier.

These are points I personally can not see reason in or justify when time / risk is involved, or when a game is built from the ground up to have PvP at the center.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I think it's important for transparency sake. Maybe SV can do that, but I personally like knowing who voted for what. It gives a better, genuine idea on why someone thinks the way they do.

I mean, think about it. There are people in that 'is combat good' poll you made and notice how we have more people in the positive then negative, but no idea who these players might be. These can be people like IronTengu who want the game to be complete safezones, and want PvP to be near non-existent.

Some of these people quite literally want it to say the way it is, not because it is better; but because it is easier.

These are points I personally can not see reason in or justify when time / risk is involved, or when a game is built from the ground up to have PvP at the center.
It does give more clarity on who's voting for what, at the cost of people choosing not to vote at all and thus the credibility of the poll suffering. People could fear being bullied by other members of their guild for not voting "the correct way".

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
It does give more clarity on who's voting for what, at the cost of people choosing not to vote at all and thus the credibility of the poll suffering. People could fear being bullied by other members of their guild for not voting "the correct way".

Yeah, I understand that view point. But I personally see importance on who is voting for what, I don't go out of my way to do such things; but it does put things in perspective as to "This person voted for X because of Y experiences."

I can know someone like @Lasciel will vote for something because they have previous PvP experiences and have been playing a long time, where as my previous example you can have someone who lived a very 'sheltered playstyle' in MO1 and think that PvP is actually bad for the game cause "people grief!!"

I personally haven't seen this happen either. Maybe if some examples of it were brought up, I'd be more in agreement with that - but I think people who vote are going to express these kinds of things more often then not (not always) and will find an opposing opinion engaging them.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
" polling the community for introductions and or balance changes "

Only got that far, just lol no.

Ok.

--

Solairerection said:
It's not fine. Players get hit through their blocks and experience rubberbanding and get hits from far away still. Conclusion is we need to slow the combat down even further.

Why not skip the middle steps and go straight to turn-based combat, saves time and money that can be spent on making high-definition Death Knights.

>>Once again, may i direct you to the poll outcome. It seems most people are OK with combat speed.

>>I don't see why the same few people seem to insist on fixing a problem that does not exist.

--

Solairerection said:
Yes I'm sure the 107 people, with a very biased opinion, is indicative of what's OK or not. Instead look at the literal millions upon millions of players who won't go near the game because the game allows players' to swing through eachothers blocks.

It's a very real problem with a very clear solution: turn-based combat. You stating otherwise won't change this.
The poll was conducted at the time of the free stress test, I am sure this is a good sample of unbiased players who gave feedback on their time in game.

>>The poll results are quite clear, most people are quite OK with the combat speed.

--

Solairerection said:
Why not listen to quiet majority instead? Millions of players who simply will not accept having their blocks swung right through.

>>I am sorry I have not encountered this fringe issue and have no source of proof of your millions of players.

>>I should probably take this time to direct you to the poll where it is clear that most people are OK with the combat.

--

Your replies are marked with '>>' in which you consistently reference a poll on whether or not the combat feels good. Talking about the combat feeling good directly relates to balance as through combat is how we kill things, whether AI or players.

Aren't you being a little hypocritical?

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Honestly the quality of posts has declined drastically over the last 10 years. It would be good to have some people with good heads for this kind of thing back, but I don´t see the benefit of people moving their one-line "arguments" from Discord to this forum.

Polls like Herius did in the old forum are cancer. MO2 needs less polls and more devs with balls that can actually overturn the ideas from QA.

So I guess it´s a firm no from me.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Honestly the quality of posts has declined drastically over the last 10 years. It would be good to have some people with good heads for this kind of thing back, but I don´t see the benefit of people moving their one-line "arguments" from Discord to this forum.

Polls like Herius did in the old forum are cancer. MO2 needs less polls and more devs with balls that can actually overturn the ideas from QA.

Even though I disagree with the idea of not encouraging more people to speak, your example is very specific and true in regards to the nature of MO & SV.

I'm mostly encouraging more proper discussion on the forums with SV leading it through a community manager & a few people to help the CM. Sure, players should be free to bring in new ideas and present them; but I want SV to be more so in control of these kinds of conversations as we as players end up getting no where rather than just repeating the same things over and over again.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Even though I disagree with the idea of not encouraging more people to speak, your example is very specific and true in regards to the nature of MO & SV.

I'm mostly encouraging more proper discussion on the forums with SV leading it through a community manager & a few people to help the CM. Sure, players should be free to bring in new ideas and present them; but I want SV to be more so in control of these kinds of conversations as we as players end up getting no where rather than just repeating the same things over and over again.

Oh yeah they definitely need something like a community manager. Not the kind that hands out a stack of cronite in an event, but the kind that acutally know how PR works and how to summarize feedback without distorting it.(Sorry Theia if you are reading this) That was one of the problems with Herius. He had strong opinions on the game and that influenced what he did. Does´t go well with the job.

I guess we don´t really need 3-5 threads on how combat sucks. We used to have just one with 20 pages. :D

Reactions: Zbuciorn

Ori

Dec 1, 2020
Ok.

--

Solairerection said:
It's not fine. Players get hit through their blocks and experience rubberbanding and get hits from far away still. Conclusion is we need to slow the combat down even further.

Why not skip the middle steps and go straight to turn-based combat, saves time and money that can be spent on making high-definition Death Knights.

>>Once again, may i direct you to the poll outcome. It seems most people are OK with combat speed.

>>I don't see why the same few people seem to insist on fixing a problem that does not exist.

--

Solairerection said:
Yes I'm sure the 107 people, with a very biased opinion, is indicative of what's OK or not. Instead look at the literal millions upon millions of players who won't go near the game because the game allows players' to swing through eachothers blocks.

It's a very real problem with a very clear solution: turn-based combat. You stating otherwise won't change this.
The poll was conducted at the time of the free stress test, I am sure this is a good sample of unbiased players who gave feedback on their time in game.

>>The poll results are quite clear, most people are quite OK with the combat speed.

--

Solairerection said:
Why not listen to quiet majority instead? Millions of players who simply will not accept having their blocks swung right through.

>>I am sorry I have not encountered this fringe issue and have no source of proof of your millions of players.

>>I should probably take this time to direct you to the poll where it is clear that most people are OK with the combat.

--

Your replies are marked with '>>' in which you consistently reference a poll on whether or not the combat feels good. Talking about the combat feeling good directly relates to balance as through combat is how we kill things, whether AI or players.

Aren't you being a little hypocritical?

Never.

And combat feeling good has little to do with balance.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Never.

And combat feeling good has little to do with balance.

Sure man, you take the time to be petty about polling players because 'lol meme idea' but will reference polls over and over so long as it reinforces your ideas.

Hypocrite.

Ori

Dec 1, 2020
Sure man, you take the time to be petty about polling players because 'lol meme idea' but will reference polls over and over so long as it reinforces your ideas.

Hypocrite.

Because there is a difference between SV taking direction from random people on the internet about game balance (which is a complete joke) and me pointing out to a bunch of people crying over and over that combat is terrible and needs fixing asap 'that most people seem just fine with it'.

Sorry you can't see that!

Rhias

May 28, 2020
" polling the community for introductions and or balance changes "

Only got that far, just lol no.

Exactly this. We should all know how listening to player feedback worked in MO1...

Grisù

Sep 3, 2020
Despite I'd like to have a forum full of life, a better Public Relationship and punctual Marketing plan ( No offense/criticism to anyone ), honestly i think that giving to community the kind of influence power you are talking about will only lead to stuck game developing processes in various loop holes.

I always considered the forum like a RL sport-pub, you go there, listen others opinions and share yours, eventually get drunk, start complaining team strategies, etc.
Never expected having Henrik, Sebastian or any other Developer/Team member to actively frequenting forum to read all our s**t.
Obviously if a forum moderator finds that 90% of community complains about something, I expect they/them bringing it to Team's attention.

If I were a game Developer, after 10+ hours of work, coming here on forum only to read tons of suggestions about to make the game become what it was never intended to be, that would really piss me off every day.

In my opinion no-one of us (almost the majority at least) is entitled in Video-game Engineering.
We are here or in alpha/beta to try things out and give feedbacks as users and customers, not to tell them how to build their own game.
Elaborate feedbacks it's their job, not ours.

Very Stupid Story following:
I bought MO1 on the day that preorders started, tried it out for a while, then decided that I didn't like the combat system at all (a core feature of a full pvp game).
I left MO1 and never played it again, if i had voted in polls (which i never did) and if SV applied your poll philosophy at that time, my vote could had mislead the polls result.
Like me many others left MO1 for many different reasons.

tl;dr version:
I'm not complaining anyone, I just think that giving too much liberty to the wandering horse will lead us to the desert once again.

Solairerection

May 28, 2020
I do think the developers and community should use the forums more. Mainly because it allows for larger posts and a slower discussion than you'd get somewhere else. Dropping an entire essay on discord just to have it be drowned out immediatly by a flurry of messages isn't too appealing, but doing it on a forum is fine and more controlled (easy to read the first message of the thread and go downwards).

I do disagree on the use of polls for driving development. Having polls for feedback or quick assessment is fine, but if we are going to be quite frank about this, the developers should have a clear view already what they want for the game as a core, and if they don't then they are in serious trouble. I do think we as players should leave feedback on the things we like and dislike, and the developers would do well to, atleast, take them into consideration.

Also, I think it would be good if Starvault appointed a person (title doesn't matter) to properly express WHY they take certain routes for the game, in both writing thorough FAQ's (and posts regarding changes/direction) aswell as act a ballplank for players with a strong opinion on certain topics regarding the game. I hope this will help the developers focus on their goal aswell as cool players down who have questions but don't seem to get thorough, or sometimes, inadequte/vague answers.

Reactions: Amadman and Ori

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
I do think the developers and community should use the forums more. Mainly because it allows for larger posts and a slower discussion than you'd get somewhere else. Dropping an entire essay on discord just to have it be drowned out immediatly by a flurry of messages isn't too appealing, but doing it on a forum is fine and more controlled (easy to read the first message of the thread and go downwards).

I do disagree on the use of polls for driving development. Having polls for feedback or quick assessment is fine, but if we are going to be quite frank about this, the developers should have a clear view already what they want for the game as a core, and if they don't then they are in serious trouble. I do think we as players should leave feedback on the things we like and dislike, and the developers would do well to, atleast, take them into consideration.

Also, I think it would be good if Starvault appointed a person (title doesn't matter) to properly express WHY they take certain routes for the game, in both writing thorough FAQ's (and posts regarding changes/direction) aswell as act a ballplank for players with a strong opinion on certain topics regarding the game. I hope this will help the developers focus on their goal aswell as cool players down who have questions but don't seem to get thorough, or sometimes, inadequte/vague answers.

Just to counter the point about development, the community has already played a pivotal role in some things changing without SV doing any kind of 'polling' what so ever but from excessive outcry.

I'm proposing this 'outcry' is worked down into something more finite and constructive, and we allow numbers to display (More accurately represent the community as whole) on how they feel about things.

I'm not saying the community takes a poll and what ever comes out on top, should be added; but sometimes game devs. need direction from their community and let me tell you what.. I don't think SV should listen to it's community a lot of the time, but a fair amount of times listening to the players and abiding by their feedback would of saved them so many headaches.

There is also things you could consider with this method that are healthy and or beneficial no matter what. What if SV wanted to ask the community if they wished for more polish / bug fixing in a massive effort rather than pushing out more content and keeping it as a more low profile, yet somewhat consistent thing? We could of USED that in MO1 a lot.

Don't take what I say literally in the idea that SV should poll the community then the outcome is what happens, or the players poll and that is what will happen; this better informs SV with data and clear discussion about certain things all in ONE place. Instead of thrown about in threads, discords, and in-game.