Suggestion: Have mounts with tradeoffs

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
From what I understand the system for mounts is not finished currently, maybe not even under extended development. This is why I would like to present my ideas for the mount system. This partly inspired by things @Henrik Nyström said on Discord and my thoughts over the years of playing the first game.

Strength as an attribute determines how heavy the rider can be, before loosing speed. A Thursar fully clad in steel plate armor will need a horse of awesome strength to carry him. The lighter your character is, the more options you have. Adjusting your equipment (armor, weapon, ammo, loot) and whatever you are transporting should be necessary.

2. The stronger a mount is, the slower it becomes. This might seem counter intuitive, but it makes sense in combination with the first point. If you have the strongest horse that can carry the heaviest character and load it will be slower by default compared to a "light" horse.

Strength also determines how tough a mount is. This can be more hitpoints, more mitigations or magic resistance.

Pet bags should slow down the mount and transporting materials should be done with dedicated mounts, not on the one you a riding on. This is a product of the first two points.

Mounts found in the wild should have variation of those statistic, depending on their type. So a Desert horse would be quite weak, but very fast. A bullhorse would be the opposite. I believe the actual speed difference should not be extreme, maybe up to 10-15%.

There are more attributes I could talk about but this seems to me the crucial ones.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Q&A:
How should one ride a horse?
- Probably pretty close to Bannerlord and Kingdom come deliverance. It looks good and rewards smart movement.

How shall I get my enemy of a horse?
- Either with a chance based system (billhook 95%, dagger 1% chance for example) or a completely skillbased system (hitting specific areas to make the horse stop, hitting the rider to dismount for example). Having different weapons with you to deal with different situation should be rewarded. This is what the leftover skillpoints in footfighters will be for.

How tought should a mount be?
- Depends on the damage potential of the rider, the dismount system and mitigation. If there is no dismount system the horse should die quick. If riders can deal a lot of damage, the horse should die quickly. If there is a dismount system, mounted fighters deal medium damage then horses should take a lot of punishment.

Where does breeding come in?
- Producing mounts without having to leave the city? Changing appearances? Optimizing attributes without breaking the core idea above?

Are you a horse?
- No, sadly not.