Subscription monetization model is a BAD idea

SeaShadow

Jul 16, 2020
Make the game worth subbing to and make it reasonable. Drop 4 character slots in one account. Not paying all these subs. Otherwise, where's the real income unless it's a revolving door. Cause if you think about it, anything else is like saying a high turn over rate is fine just as long as the game is being bought and the server doesn't fill up too much. Id rather things spiral up the other way with new content every month.

Footwork

Dec 9, 2021
This is the best Hardcore Sandbox RP PvP MMO. I can honestly say that many of us have paid premium price for the game $40 for one character. Many of us have had to purchase multiple accounts due to how passionate we are about Mortal Online. I concur with this post that the subscription will kill this game, The game is just way more fun with multiple accounts. There are many reasons why having multiple accounts are beneficial. More players will continue to pay $40 for multiple accounts if there wasn't a subscription. Maybe a lower price could work? SV I need ALL five of my accounts, I am just soaking up this free time in this EMPTY Myrland.

Reactions: Tzone

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I dont think the game is possible to enjoy with one account anymore.

You need to be so many places for fights and content quickly.

Spending 15 bucks a month to spend a hour a day after work just running around for if you are lucky a couple of fights is not worth it.

So now you have to spend 30 or 45 really to make the game enjoyable and not a time sink of just traveling back and forth.
45 bucks a month for 3 accounts that already costed you 40 bucks each? doesnt seem that great of a deal just to enjoy the game.

Either make 1 account viable to play or lose a lot of players that wont or cant sub multiple accounts to make the game worth while to play.

SeaShadow

Jul 16, 2020
What people are saying about what to do with the # of accounts they already have is the caveat to a sub fee. Afterall will they then pick only one of those accounts and have to redo all the other characters, even if the new system lets them buy added character slots for a one-time fee of $8 or something (like MO1, if I recall correctly)? Will the existing characters be allowed a merger into one account? Those characters were bought already. Idk.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Dont tell me that Eternal is a slave guild

Yeah, brigands is our leader, I am the task master, and the rest of us are slaves. Nah I'm just saying sometimes your tag matters. Not saying my tag is GOOD but perhaps your tag is the kind that inspires people to grief your terrorbird.

actetto

Apr 21, 2022
You can pay Sub or pay with ingame Gold. Paying with ingame Gold is very expencive ! It take at least 7 days to farm. 90 % of the palyers rather pay 10 Dollars instead of grinding 7 days for a sub but 10 % of the palyers are Kids and No Lifers without a Job that would rater farm 7 days because they are livin under the poverty border. This game needs no lifers and players that pay a sub. Both players are important and every no lifer that plays the game like 10 h a day bring additional new players that pay sub, because a bigger playerbase means that more players will try out the game. Many players say to themselves. If you can pay with ingame currency i gonna try it out and then stay and pay sub.
A sub could cost 5000 Gold. I think that would be fair and would be a good gold sink !

The way sub-for-gold works in other games is that the sub which is bought with in-game currency is first bought for IRL currency and then that player sells the sub to another player for gold.

It's really just a roundabout way of buying gold, not subscriptions. From the company's perspective, it doesn't make any sense to sell their subscriptions for gold, they always sell them for IRL cash. In fact, the "subscription item" which can be sold to other players is usually $5.00 more expensive than just subbing an account.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
This is the best Hardcore Sandbox RP PvP MMO.

In some ways, yeah. I'll keep it 100%: the difference between playing MO while sober and playing MO while you are geeking on something is v stark.

When entering a game, an MMO... and I add hardcore to this, because I don't think hardcore ONLY means like... full loot w/e... you (or I?) ask myself, what can I offer this world that a bot or another warm body could not? The only answer is pvp. A lot of days, that's just not good enough.

Gearing, crafting, etc, is still the same (with fewer systems, less depth,) and they added all of these stack-of-gold +/- systems like... Necro, Spirit, Scribing.

The only thing they have added to the game is grind and what is lovingly referred to as 'zerg content.'

Combat is better (in its reaction/lag,) combat mechanics are way worse (by design, ironically.) If people ever get off the track of consuming whatever content they dropped, buying a new slot so they can, etc... they will reach a kind of ??? moment. A why?? Selling accts is also a dangerous model. Bloating the game with rolls and rerolls.

I would straight-face sub the game 2 or 3 accts if the game was not so flawed. Of course, I'd rather have like 2 accts w/ 2 slots.

The core 'flaw' or 'fallacy' in the thinking of SV, imo, is to make it 1 char based without allowing 1 character things to do. What can 1 character reliably do? Craft some armor/bows, maybe extract and do weps. That's normal, but there is no way to rise above any other character. There is only grind, buffing stuff like trinkz, etc. Nothing scientific or artistic at all. Unfortunately, that has to be ironed out in order for it to be a decent RPG. There absolutely HAS to be multiple systems that depend on intelligence, occult knowledge, etc. Of course, you have to grind cuz you have to get the mats, but you are working toward a goal that isn't gonna output the SAME EXACT SHIT someone else is.

Don't get me wrong, if I put some time into gettin pickables or if I exploited a stack of gold to obtain them, I could create some interesting things, but I doubt any of it would be worth the effort to me or the game community. I already know all the mats and how they interact w/ each other, it's just a matter of picking them. People are super green about that stuff, food on broker is like 'good' gear on broker. Good-->impeccable was an awful change for RP. Cooking also tops out, but it always did. The only thing... is you'd think with so much less depth in cooking, the very least you could do is give people little buffs for speccing all of the cooking skills (adv tool, adv cook, lore,) but nah... adv cooking doesn't really reduce poison or anything, either. I dunno, mane. Could write this shit forever, but the main idea is that as an open world PvP game, yeah, it's fun... just like me and oykd did before he finally quit, go out... fight people... fight people... die... laugh... log off.

One of the most under-appreciated parts of MO1 was the depth of crafting systems. It's like the open secret of MO1. So much fun to be had just messing w/ that... but you're in this crazy world where anyone can kill you. It adds up to a good game. It makes it immersive. It's immersive to chase people around and shoot them with arrows, too, but it's not a long term goal haha.

Shinobi

Aug 31, 2022
I was literally just about to purchase MO2 until I noticed it was going to be subscription based eventually. The one reason I never played WoW was because of this reason, I absolutely refuse to pay a monthly fee to continue playing a game. The very thought of it is absurd.

That's not to say I can't afford it, it's purely by choice.

If MO2 were to do something like Elder Scrolls Online's subscription service, where the game is free to play but subscription offers you more inventory space, more bank space, monthly gifts such as paintings/trophies, slightly increased EXP (which doesn't make players who don't have it feel too left out to the point where the EXP increase is too much) and more slots to put items in your house then I would happily pay for THAT sort of subscription. But to continue to pay or be forced to leave the game is literally demanding my money and I won't be subject to that. I want a choice to play a game I purchase whenever I want, the second you start throwing "pay up or leave" at me, I walk and never look back.

Unless this company decides to scrap the whole subscription idea, I won't be buying MO2, ever, period - as fun as it does look and I know I would love the game, I just refuse to pay a monthly subscription if I'm forced to.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
I was literally just about to purchase MO2 until I noticed it was going to be subscription based eventually. The one reason I never played WoW was because of this reason, I absolutely refuse to pay a monthly fee to continue playing a game. The very thought of it is absurd.

That's not to say I can't afford it, it's purely by choice.

If MO2 were to do something like Elder Scrolls Online's subscription service, where the game is free to play but subscription offers you more inventory space, more bank space, monthly gifts such as paintings/trophies, slightly increased EXP (which doesn't make players who don't have it feel too left out to the point where the EXP increase is too much) and more slots to put items in your house then I would happily pay for THAT sort of subscription. But to continue to pay or be forced to leave the game is literally demanding my money and I won't be subject to that. I want a choice to play a game I purchase whenever I want, the second you start throwing "pay up or leave" at me, I walk and never look back.

Unless this company decides to scrap the whole subscription idea, I won't be buying MO2, ever, period - as fun as it does look and I know I would love the game, I just refuse to pay a monthly subscription if I'm forced to.
What can i say, you won't be missing much the game is poop right now and it will continue to be when its sub time :p

Morpen

Sep 18, 2022
I've played a lot of MMO games including EVE etc...

When I studied television on demand, it was just emerging. Many did not believe in its success.
Because what should you pay for something that you can have for free?

You know how it is now. It will be similar with MO2.

It just gets rid of the worst of the rest of the MMO games.
Paid subscription will be the end of the work.

I am looking forward to it.

P.S. Those who do not want to pay for subscriptions can always play a worse game as usual - with multiboxing, bots, macros etc...

Reactions: Rynnik